Most misspelled word on the Net...
Sep 30, 2005 at 9:12 AM Post #31 of 89
My pet peeve is when I've had my spelling corrected, usually by young people, of words like 'honour' and 'colour'.
eek.gif

Sep 30, 2005 at 9:29 AM Post #32 of 89
The most mispelled word on the internet is most certainly the word "okay"
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 30, 2005 at 9:39 AM Post #33 of 89
Sometimes even members of team "foreign head-fiers" wonder if only a small percentage of head-fi's population is actually native anglo.
We are trying hard to improve our lingual skills for your convenience (well, maybe except some italians
tongue.gif
).
Your sloppiness doesn't help in this regard.

Sep 30, 2005 at 10:26 AM Post #35 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
"inasmuch"... I had some college texts with this ... word, and I still do not know what it means.

Does anyone know? I cant even recall the context in which it was used.

Garrett

im a fan of "insofar"

Sep 30, 2005 at 11:09 AM Post #37 of 89
I don’t know why, but I make silly mistakes like:

"...witch headphones?" (smart ass answer: "I didn’t know they had any..."
rolleyes.gif
).

Then/than confusion is common too. The use of the distinction who and whom is fairly poor as well I think.

Then there is of course the fact of different spelling in different kind of English.
tongue.gif
You know, like color and colour. But then we enter the discussion on what a language is and who can, or has the authority to, change it. [size=xx-small]Oee, that could be a long thread.[/size]
eek.gif

Sep 30, 2005 at 11:18 AM Post #39 of 89
One that gets to me a bit is "loose". It's LOSE! Like in win and lose or lose an item under a table. Loose is something you might find your dog when the gate is open. You might have a loose screw. Sure you can lose a screw too. You may even lose something with someone that's loose. "Suprise" (it's suRprise most definitely).

Sep 30, 2005 at 12:19 PM Post #40 of 89
Glad to know I'm not the only one this bugs. I'm not saying I never make mistakes.
It cracks me up though when people say something is a typo when really it's just bad spelling. For example, when you spell "definitely" as "definately" it's pretty hard to believe that you accidentally hit the "a" when you meant to type "i"; they're (there, their
biggrin.gif
) not even close to each other on the keyboard.
To me, bad spelling is sending out a message that you don't care how other's perceive you and/or that you're just lazy. It's somewhat hard to say this without coming off as judgemental but, in the end, that's what it comes down to.
CPW

Sep 30, 2005 at 12:26 PM Post #41 of 89
Thank God for MS Word which fixes most basic spelling errors automatically. It saves me a lot of time going over basic spelling errors that I may miss even after reading over my document twice. I usually watch my spelling and puncuation wherever I hang out, like I am presently. I also use dictionary.com to help me out when I'm stuck on a word.

However, this really irritates me:

YO! I got a NEW
eek.gif
24/96 audiocard and it RULEZ
biggrin.gif
your face!!!!

WUT UP WIT DAT?!

blink.gif
blink.gif
blink.gif
blink.gif
blink.gif
blink.gif

There's one putz that keeps using those
blink.gif
emoticons and it's seriously irritating....
eek.gif

Sep 30, 2005 at 1:19 PM Post #42 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by cpw
To me, bad spelling is sending out a message that you don't care how other's perceive you and/or that you're just lazy. It's somewhat hard to say this without coming off as judgemental but, in the end, that's what it comes down to.
CPW

And we wouldn't want to sound judgmental now would we?
smily_headphones1.gif

Anybody here want to cast the next stone? We all live in glass houses.

Regards,

BW

Sep 30, 2005 at 1:25 PM Post #44 of 89
I don't know about the "net," but the most misspelled word on Head-Fi has got to be vinyl. Give me a break, vynil doesn't even look right.
rolleyes.gif

Sep 30, 2005 at 1:59 PM Post #45 of 89
My two pet peeves in this regard are the use of apostrophe s when it isn't necessary, as in "how many CD's do you own?"; and people that use an open parenthesis but not the closing parenthesis (I really hate it when people do this.

MJ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back