Most misspelled word on the Net...
Sep 30, 2005 at 9:14 PM Post #76 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by cire
alot

YES! Bugs the crap out of me. It's a lot, no alot!!!!!!

Sep 30, 2005 at 9:44 PM Post #78 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyC
Just a little rant on the British vs. American spelling issue.

I dislike being corrected when the British spelling is used.

I had the worst time with this as a kid in like 3rd grade. My parents hardly watched any TV, and what they did watch was almost entirely PBS rebroadcasts of BBC shows. "Colour" was the one which always killed me, because the end of every show it always said "BBC Colour" on the screen, and I knew the folks with the fancy accents had to be doing it right, didn't they? So, on spelling tests in class I'd spell things with Brit spellings and then got marked off. I tried pleading my case with my teacher, but instead of explaining there were multiple spellings and we were just to use the US spelling, she instead said "that's just wrong." To this day I don't know whether it was ignorance or laziness on her part.

Anyway, my big peeves which I think have been mentioned are the your/you're and the there/they're/their thing. The other one which drives me nuts are cite/sight/site errors. "I went to this Web sight..." AAAAAAARGH.

Mostly I try to ignore ones errors which could easily just be simple typos (I'm a horrible typist myself) but the real usage errors like those just grate on me.

Sep 30, 2005 at 11:23 PM Post #79 of 89
I just got back from school and I had English for my last period.. My teacher is dyslexic (I know, right? Like a lactose-intolerant milkman or an acrophobic pilot) and she started off by misspelling "financial" as "fianicial" or something, and what really irked me was when she kept saying "personal antidote" when she really meant to say "personal anecdote."

Oct 1, 2005 at 12:21 AM Post #80 of 89
Also in reference to the letters or acronyms N, M, L, R, S, etc. one should use "an" and not "a".

Examples:

An MS-2i
An L3000
An SR-71

Also it is "could have" not "could of"...I know that's how it sounds colloquially, but that's not how it is written.

Oct 1, 2005 at 12:24 AM Post #81 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
And is it "Roger and Me" or is it "Roger and I?" I always get confused! (...)

"Roger and I" is the subject form - e.g. as in: "Roger and I were going to the cinema."

"Roger and me" is an object form (called Akkusativ over here) - e.g. as in: "My mum took Roger and me to the cinema."

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Oct 1, 2005 at 12:57 AM Post #82 of 89
the = teh?

Oct 1, 2005 at 4:45 AM Post #84 of 89
"Led Zeplin" ..
blink.gif

Oct 1, 2005 at 6:12 AM Post #85 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by lini
"Roger and I" is the subject form - e.g. as in: "Roger and I were going to the cinema."

"Roger and me" is an object form (called Akkusativ over here) - e.g. as in: "My mum took Roger and me to the cinema."

Yeah, I think the easiest trick to figure out which one to use is to remove the "roger and" (or whatever it is) and see which pronoun makes sense.

Like, you wouldn't say "Me was/were going to the movies" or "My mom took I to the movies." So just say it that way to yourself, and it's pretty easy to figure out which one sounds right.

Oct 1, 2005 at 7:10 AM Post #86 of 89
all of this is irritating, but what is MORE irritating are folks who are losing an argument and turn to grammar and spelling to "win" it, as to say that their superiority in the language translates to their superiority of their side of the argument.

Oct 1, 2005 at 4:03 PM Post #89 of 89
I never knew there were two ways to spell correctly in English. I always assumed that British was the only right way.

But if I understand correctly if I'm in England I must apologise when I use American spelling and in the US I feel I should apologize if I use British spelling?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back