Most exellent video game music
Aug 18, 2008 at 4:28 PM Post #16 of 71
Wow I can't believe it got this far without someone mentioning the Castlevania series. So I guess its up to me. Mostly listen in game though, not really in the mood to listen while I work. No More Heroes has some great music.

Aug 19, 2008 at 4:24 AM Post #17 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrdeadfolx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Didn't portal only have one song? Oh well even so, its a classic. "I'm doing science and I'm still alive"

Portal's background music is composed by Kelly Bailey, like all the other music in Valve titles. It's fairly good atmospheric/ambient stuff.

Aug 19, 2008 at 5:59 AM Post #18 of 71
I have a small place in my music collection dedicated to music from Myst. I think the artist is Robyn Miller.

I love it, for some reason. Just interesting in its own, unique way, despite the very synthetic sound.

Aug 19, 2008 at 6:30 AM Post #19 of 71
I wonder how nobody mentioned Jesper Kyd who must have composed some of the best game soundtracks for games like Assassin's Creed, Hitman...

Especially Hitman: Blood Money is great and Jesper is often stated as Vangelis on steroids on that one.

Aug 19, 2008 at 7:05 AM Post #20 of 71
yeah tetris of course.

but hey, i thought about the bit Generations series of 7 Game boy advance games. One of them is "dotstream", this one is really great with many really good electronic music.

Aug 19, 2008 at 9:45 AM Post #21 of 71
The Zelda series by far, particularly OoT and LttP. Not mentioned yet: the whole Donkey Kong Country series on SNES had a lot of memorable stuff.

Aug 19, 2008 at 3:29 PM Post #23 of 71
half Life 2 does feature a enjoyable and atmospheric soundtrack. But for video games, there is no better than Robert Prince's Doom series' soundtracks.

Aug 19, 2008 at 5:12 PM Post #25 of 71
Gonna have to go with Castlevania I,II, and III for the NES. Especially III. Super Castlevania IV for the SNES also had some really cool stuff.

I also really enjoy the music from a game called Street Fighter 2010 for the NES as well.

Aug 19, 2008 at 6:32 PM Post #26 of 71
Favorites off the top of my head that I don't think have been mentioned yet.

Einhander (PS1 SquareSoft shooter, and the game rocks harder than it's OST)
Rez (Just play it, only $10 on XBLA)
Outcast (one of the best VG OSTs ever IMO)
Advent Rising
Shadow of the Colossus (Simply Epic boss music)
Ico (Very atmospheric, with a fantastic end credits song)
Okami
Metal Gear Solid 1, 2, and 3 (haven't played 4 yet, no PS3
frown.gif
)
Ikaruga (Treasure games have always had good music, but this one just shines above the rest IMO)
Hyperzone (Old SNES game for those who are scratching their heads)
The New Tetris (The N64 version had a killer little Electronic soundtrack)
Ridge Racer 4 (The best of the RR series also had the best soundtrack)
Super Metroid (My favorite after FF VI on the SNES)

Aug 19, 2008 at 6:32 PM Post #27 of 71
I strongly second the Squaresoft (now Square Enix) games such as FFIV, FFVI and Secret of Mana. Very nostalgic stuff for me.

Floex did the soundtrack for Samorost II, a Flash game, and it's very fun if you like his upbeat brand of orchestral-electronica.

The best game soundtrack to my ears is the 2½ hour version of Amon Tobin's Splinter Cell:Chaos Theory OST. There's also a 5.1 mix of this that I'm eager to try out once I set up a surround system.

Aug 19, 2008 at 6:45 PM Post #28 of 71
Squaresoft/Square-Enix jRPGs always had a lot of thought put into the music. Not all of them are TEH great, but a lot of them are fantastic. (FFVI and Chrono Trigger for example)

Metroid games, starting from original Metroid on NES, also have some really great and atmospheric tunes and melodies. Metroid Prime is fantastic, those ambient music pieces mixed with original metroid tunes really fit in the enviroment they are played in.

Aug 20, 2008 at 1:56 AM Post #29 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by MoodySteve /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I strongly second the Squaresoft (now Square Enix) games such as FFIV, FFVI and Secret of Mana. Very nostalgic stuff for me.

Floex did the soundtrack for Samorost II, a Flash game, and it's very fun if you like his upbeat brand of orchestral-electronica.

The best game soundtrack to my ears is the 2½ hour version of Amon Tobin's Splinter Cell:Chaos Theory OST. There's also a 5.1 mix of this that I'm eager to try out once I set up a surround system.

Definitely have to agree with the Amon Tobin ST. Quite an interesting soundtrack to be sure. And Samarost has got to be one of best flash game's I've ever played, not to mention an amazing soundtrack.

I don't think anyone mentioned the Legend Of Dragoon OST done by Dennis Martin. It's one of my favorites, either through nostalgia, or just being damn good. It's my favorite JRPG soundtrack, IMO better than any FF soundtrack. FFX has it's moments such as Burning Sands, Seymour's Ambition, Lulu's Theme, Silence Before the Storm, etc.

One of the most overlooked games I've played was Psychonauts. Its soundtrack matched the wacky/dark/ridiculous/jaded feel of the game. Very odd, which is perfect for a person bored with the usual orchestral soundtracks.

The very first Ratchet & Clank game's soundtrack was fantastic. They never officially released it, but you can find all of the games soundtrack rips Here
It's lively, electronic, and very fitting to the nature of the game. Kyzil Plateau would be one of my favorites. It's the opening theme of the game; very playful, and very unique.
Logging Site Eudora, Gemlik Base, and Robot Plant Quartu's Main Themes are very good also. They all have a lot of atmosphere, and really helped shape the uniqueness of the game.

Edit: Have to agree with you on the Metroid games MaZa. Metroid II's soundtrack still haunts me. The ending theme just gets me all teary eyed every time I hear it! *sniffle*

Aug 20, 2008 at 2:14 AM Post #30 of 71
Quake II has some awesome rock compositions. Can't think of the band name right now, but its a well known one. (Orgy maybe?)

YES on some of the Doom music too, I remember it vividly.

Other than that, im not much of a gamer, so I dont know what youall are talking about (althought id like to try the Rez game out).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back