Most exellent video game music
Aug 18, 2008 at 2:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 71

Assorted

Headphoneus Supremus
There were a few threads on this, but they were really old, all of them by at least 3 years. This is a thread for the new generation of HF'ers, whom I can only assume play more games, given its age group
biggrin.gif
Please let me know if I've missed recent threads with the same topic.

The game music I liked most was Final Fantasy XII. I've heard some full orchestra game scores on numerous (mostly PSX, PS2, PC) games, which FF12 struck me as the most solid and enjoyable... that's if I'm not grinding the same area for 6 hours (tell me about it :|). Runner ups are Parappa the Rapper and FFX.

What are your favorites?

Aug 18, 2008 at 3:02 AM Post #4 of 71
I always liked the music in Marrowind and also the Tom Clancy Rainbow Six series of games. Home World wasn't bad either... think the group YES made the music for the game.

Aug 18, 2008 at 3:25 AM Post #5 of 71
I enjoy Jeremy Soule's work in titles from the Elder Scrolls and Dungeon Siege series. The trailer music for the first trailer of Dungeon Siege II stands to be the most lovely sixty-second piece I'll hear for a while. Brilliantly powerful stuff IMHO.

Aug 18, 2008 at 3:32 AM Post #6 of 71
Pretty old and hard to obtain but Mechwarrior 2 and Mechwarrior Mercenaries had some great tracks for a game.

Aug 18, 2008 at 3:33 AM Post #7 of 71
Chrono Trigger has an awesome sound track. I also enjoy the music of FF7 (have an album or them played on piano). Oh, and of course Zelda: Ocarina Of Time, pleasant and catchy music in game and also fun to listen to the orchestrated version.

Aug 18, 2008 at 4:48 AM Post #9 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrdeadfolx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Contra, and Mike Tyson's Punch-Out. So unbelieveably memorable, those melodies are tattooed onto my brain for eternity. Of course this thread will be full of Super Mario references, so I might as well get it out of the way right here also.

Contra, yeah. Well, in my case, Super Contra IV. I think. The best were Mega Man X, the opening theme, and U.N. Squadron, the music for the opening level. Strangely enough, the rest of it wasn't so memorable. I remember during gym when I was in high school, the teacher had a CD of electronic music for cardio workouts, and I recognized the U.N. Squadron tune immediately. Great games, and lot's of fun. It's had to top 16-bit games, the designers made the most of what they had.

Aug 18, 2008 at 5:17 AM Post #11 of 71
Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura has a wonderful soundtrack performed entirely by string quartet. It's haunting, beautiful and fits the tone of the game perfectly.

Kelly Bailey's work for Valve is also excellent. The Half-Life 2 and Episodes soundtrack is very good, especially the track "Abandoned in Place."

I've recently been listening heavily to Simon Viklund's work on the new remake Bionic Commando Re-Armed. It's just a huge pile of nostalgia, a neat blend of the original game's chiptunes remixed with modern techno. Very, very heavy bass line on these songs; makes me want to listen to them on a basshead headphone!

Square Enix's Front Mission series has very memorable music, especially Front Mission 3. Very martial industrial/techno. I'm also partial to much of the music from Final Fantasy VI, especially the first overworld theme.

I don't care for Final Fantasy VII's soundtrack at all, and Final Fantasy VIII's soundtrack is absolutely awful, an endless variation of "Eyes on Me," which isn't even a very good song... I think Nobuo Uematsu kind of lost his touch here.

Other notable mentions would be Akria Yamaoka's work on the Silent Hill series of games. Very cool dark ambient; his independent dark ambient and remixes of Silent Hill tracks are also great listening.

Parasite Eve also has a very good soundtrack; the sequel's soundtrack was largely ambient remixes of the first game's soundtrack with a number of new additions, and while I find the final boss theme of PE2 ("Distorted Evolution") and the credits theme ("Gentle Rays") to be favorites, I still consider PE1's soundtrack superior.

Aug 18, 2008 at 2:24 PM Post #13 of 71
Lost Odyssey OST
The Witcher OST
Mario Galaxy OST

Aug 18, 2008 at 2:33 PM Post #14 of 71
tetris on the original gameboy
Can still hear every beep thru those lil black ear buds with the red or blue tips!
Basic but iconic
'nuff said

Aug 18, 2008 at 3:13 PM Post #15 of 71
I agree with The Actual, Jet Set/Grind Radio and Katamari both have great sound tracks. I also really enjoy Nobuo Uematsu's work (Final Fantasy Series, other assorted Square games).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back