Most Detailed Headphones for Portable Use (Smartphone or iPod)
Aug 25, 2011 at 10:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

sw98

Head-Fier
I mainly use my HD650's for at-home listening with an amp, but I am looking for a back-up pair of cans for work. I don't plan on moving them back and forth, I'll probably just keep them locked up so I don't mind full-size cans or anything that doesn't fold up.

My source will be an iPhone 4 and all my files are 16-bit WAV. Since I'm going to be at work, I prefer a closed design so music does not disturb my co-workers.

Must Haves

1. Low impedance for the iPhone 4's built-in amp
  2. Very sonically detailed
  3. Great build quality (similar to the HD650's)
  4. Full-size or mid-size

My budget is up to $250. I'm open to any suggestions, thanks!

Aug 25, 2011 at 10:47 AM Post #2 of 8
So you aren't going to use them as portables? Title is misleading in a way. You are looking for a full size hp to use from portable sources? Will you be using an amp at work?

Aug 25, 2011 at 11:52 AM Post #5 of 8
It's a bit odd that your home headphone is the HD650, and your only requirement for portable headphones is "detailed"  Care to say a bit more about what you want? 

Most head-fiers who want the most detailed headphone like very very bright headphones because it exaggerates a sense of detail (though not actually more detailed).  But the HD650 does not do that at all.  Most people who like the HD650 have other priorities other than detail, like good midrange, a balanced sound, not bright in the upper mids/treble, good bass response. 

So if your only requirement is that they "sound detailed" you'll get recommendations that sound very different from the HD650.  Just fyi

Aug 25, 2011 at 1:30 PM Post #6 of 8
Try the KRK KNS-6400. They're cheap at around $99 and even can be upgraded with memory foam pads.
They definitely have the most detail out of any headphone I own. Now they don't have a ton of bass, but it's more than enough for me.

With the 8400's memory foam pads, they're one of the most comfortable headphones ever made! Not quite as comfortable as the K601, but close!

Aug 25, 2011 at 7:13 PM Post #7 of 8
Another good option for ya is Shure's SRH440.

Aug 25, 2011 at 8:54 PM Post #8 of 8
The srh940 match your description, but they are  bright (I  believe this improves with burning).
Not sure they would work best from an iphone 4, even if they don't  need amping (the cleaner the source, the better).
I agree with rythmdevils , that coming from the hd650, you might have a shock by going to the srh940.
Also, I would use alac format, instead of wav, to save space (same quality, it's lossless).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back