Most detailed, accurate, clear, neutral IEMs
Dec 28, 2014 at 11:37 PM Post #106 of 153

And single driver BA's cant do that very well at all.   That's my point.

Either they might get the upper frequencies pretty well (like an Ety) or they might get the lower frequencies...or they are all midrange focused.  But I have yet to hear a single BA that does bass treble and mid well together.  Like a UM1 or W1 or a Shure E3 is just midrange focused (even though one may think they hear some bass and treble in there somewhere.....LOL).

audeo pfe 132 is very good at the entire spectrum. if you ever get the chance give them a listen. 

Mar 6, 2018 at 11:26 AM Post #111 of 153
which ciems sound signatures similar as er4 ? Uerm or Lear lcm-5
I'd say that Lear LCM-5, Hidition NT-6, QDC 8CS and M-Fidelity SA-43 (with Presence switch on) match nearly the same tonal balance as ER-4S(P)

Apr 12, 2020 at 6:50 PM Post #112 of 153
Many years have passed, and the IEM industry is evolving faster than ever. Good time to revive this thread? What are your thoughts?

Apr 12, 2020 at 8:07 PM Post #113 of 153
64audio A18t

Apr 12, 2020 at 9:07 PM Post #114 of 153
Great thread, thanks for bumping. Long time listener, first time caller. I'm a neutral-head whom has taken a hiatus here from 2005-2017. In 2017, I was amazed there was no truly great neutral CIEM available. Everything is a disappointment compared to pre-2005. I tried joining Nic's thread, but everyone is looking for some accentuation or coloring. These mom and pop try hard doesn't do it for me, I want neutral done right again.

It's a age of a bunch of 'Andrew Wiggins' neutral CIEMs and I guess there will never be another 'Michael Jordan' neutral CIEM again like the Ultimate Ears UE Pro 10 designed by Jerry Harvey. I'm pleading for UE to bring back a 20th anniversary UE Pro 10 in a 2-4 years. It's the ground zero of CIEMs and everything is an imitation since, I believe an anniversary edition at least deserves to be discussed internally by UE. I like to buy 5 UE-10s (one to be buried with) and be done with this hobby.

Most will probably not recognise this HF legend, but it's someone I highly respected on this site. I'm old school, so we have similar tastes. I was looking at old impressions not for nostalgia but I'm putting the UE-10 through it's paces now:

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2020 at 9:44 PM Post #115 of 153
Check my join date...I was around then.

I was one of the first to buy custom iems for casual use; sensaphonics 2x-s.

trust me...iems have come quite a long way in the last decade+.

Seriously recommend checking out the 64a A18t if you want neutrality...

Apr 13, 2020 at 12:08 AM Post #117 of 153
Maybe when A18 hits A18n then they will be truly neutral. A18t -> A18s -> A18r -> A18q -> A18p -> A18o -> A18n.

If your truly neutral, there's no need to change to a A18s. It would already be perfectly neutral, but they are not after a neutral reference signature. There catering to audiophiles not professional sound engineers. It's pseudo-neutral at best. It's exciting and energetic, warm... I want neutral done right.

verdict.png

https://theheadphonelist.com/rank-3-64-audio-a18/3/

a18.png

https://crinacle.com/rankings/iems/

Thanks anyways. Sensaphonics is a classic. I think they still sell the same models to this day.

Even though tech has changed, to me they are still perfect tune wise. Just because people shoot 3's better today doesn't mean much to me, the GOAT stats still apply and I rather take a complete package like 'Michael Jordan' than the FOTM greatest and latest. I know people need to defend their purchases tho and listen with their wallets. It's understandable with the prices today.

Apr 13, 2020 at 12:19 AM Post #118 of 153
They do.

After years out of the game, i got back into it by repurchasing what I remembered, except they now have a 3 driver version, the 3max.

like I said, a lot has changed. While sensaphonics has a huge musician following, for audiophile listening, there is a lot of new stuff that’s just great.

Apr 13, 2020 at 12:26 AM Post #119 of 153
FullCircle, you were kind of the baddies for a few years with the spamming of threads so just call it even. I do wish you guys luck tho.

The Katana and the UE Pro 10 seems to be the only two CIEMs to take away the warmth of the Chord Mojo, so will try to follow Katana's development. By applying either of these neutral monitors turns the Mojo into a neutral, not warm device which amazes me. I thought I was stuck with warm. I'm using the best portable digital source (Music streamer) possible with glass optical so that may influence one end while the neutral monitors influences the other end.

11214200.png

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2020 at 12:38 AM Post #120 of 153
Ok, thanks. I'll have to re-visit Sensaphonics one of these days. It was a tough decision between Sensaphonics vs. UE back in da day.

I understand it's a whole new world, but nothing appeals so I can't get passionate about or want to force myself to get passionate.

I just want that classic old skewl neutrality. Especially when one gets older, they can't handle all the coloration, pounding bass and warmness of current audiophile CIEMs (~95% of current CIEM offerings).

The UE-10 hits all the right spots even to this day, so just praying for an 20th anniversary version. It plays well with HiRes as well as RBCD.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back