Most detailed, accurate, clear, neutral IEMs
Apr 13, 2020 at 1:10 AM Post #121 of 153
FullCircle, you were kind of the baddies for a few years with the spamming of threads so just call it even. I do wish you guys luck tho.

The Katana and the UE Pro 10 seems to be the only two CIEMs to take away the warmth of the Chord Mojo, so will try to follow Katana's development. By applying either of these neutral monitors turns the Mojo into a neutral, not warm device which amazes me. I thought I was stuck with warm. I using the best portable digital source possible with glass optical so that may influence one end while the neutral monitors influences the other end.

I wish everyone luck, we all need it, especially these days.

If you liked the Katana, you will probably like the yet to be released

Screenshot_20200413-120920_Google.jpg

Last edited:
Noble Audio Stay updated on Noble Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/NobleAudio https://www.twitter.com/noblebywizard https://www.instagram.com/nobleaudio https://nobleaudio.com/en/ contact@nobleaudio.com
Apr 13, 2020 at 2:17 PM Post #122 of 153
I wish everyone luck, we all need it, especially these days.

If you liked the Katana, you will probably like the yet to be released

Agreed!

BTW, cheers for offering a neutral product in your lineup. It's great to have an alternative neutral choice when there are so few serious neutral options available.

Just need more Pewdiepie + Noble Audio CIEMs plugs.

Apr 13, 2020 at 2:51 PM Post #124 of 153
I am really hoping UE makes the UE PRO 10 available again. It is near perfect for this signature type related to this thread. There is nothing exaggerated and has perfect neutral bass and tone. It's neutral done right and yet to be replicated to this day, even by UE. It doesn't matter if you add 50 drivers each side or whatever new tech is available today, it's a solid classic product. Similar in vein to ER4S, Sennheiser 6 series, STAX 009, etc. They are timeless products like how music is timeless. Neutral and accurate plays well through different time periods, while exaggerated FOTM come and go.

11212237.png

I'm just looking for neutral, accurate to pair with the most neutral, accurate, resolute and transparent transportable (Hugo2) along with the most neutral cable (SilverFi R4) one can procure.

Because I am using a Music streamer, it has the same effect as it does in the Summit-Fi setups. It makes a big time difference especially the PrAT which paces the music beautifully. It has a similar effect to adding a Mscaler. In the Summit-Fi threads, adding a improved digital source (Music streamer) scales the Chord devices. For everyman Chord devices such as Hugo2 and Mojo, it also scales the devices to amazing levels. I can not listen now without a proper digital source. I don't need a $10,000 Music Streamer either. This is more optimal as it's battery-powered and zero USB anything contaminating the sound purity. Everything runs from CPU via the i2s audio bus. The high-end Music streamers usually require mains and USB, but the underlying streaming software is the same. Only thing going for the higher-end Music streamers are they are more powerful (CPU) and the developer optimises the OS, but unless you are running HQPlayer that power is not really needed. Fortunately there are optimised audiophile OS for free so levels the playing field with high-end Music streamers.

I'm around the 600 hour mark on my UE-10s, so hope this need can be fulfilled in the future.

IMO:

Digital Source

Cable

Headphone

Opinion
NeutralNeutralNeutralOptimal
NeutralWarmNeutralGood, Can be Great
NeutralNeutralWarmGood, Can be Great
NeutralWarmWarmToo Warm
WarmNeutralNeutralGood, Can be Great
WarmNeutralWarmToo Warm
WarmWarmNeutralToo Warm
WarmWarmWarmWar(m) Crime

Digital Source

Cable

Headphone

Amp

Opinion
WarmWarmWarmWarmThis really tilts me when people do this...

Again, great thread. Wish it was discovered much earlier.

Apr 13, 2020 at 3:24 PM Post #125 of 153
What about the Etymotic ER4SR and the UERR? I’ve never heard them, but they are supposed to be neutral.

Oh, and how about the Fearless S6 Pro? I’m curious.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2020 at 5:22 PM Post #126 of 153
Agreed!

BTW, cheers for offering a neutral product in your lineup. It's great to have an alternative neutral choice when there are so few serious neutral options available.

Just need more Pewdiepie + Noble Audio CIEMs plugs.

Pewdiepie plugged Noble on his own accord, my son was the one that made me aware of his plug. While I am grateful for him doing that, we didn't have any agreement etc with Pewdiepie.

Regardless, I am glad he liked his Noble monitors.

https://www.facebook.com/NobleAudio https://www.twitter.com/noblebywizard https://www.instagram.com/nobleaudio https://nobleaudio.com/en/ contact@nobleaudio.com
Apr 13, 2020 at 8:49 PM Post #127 of 153
What about the Etymotic ER4SR and the UERR? I’ve never heard them, but they are supposed to be neutral.

Oh, and how about the Fearless S6 Pro? I’m curious.

I hope others can weigh in, but I can't answer this as my system has been in flux. I'm only here to state that I wished there were more neutral options and glad there are other's that have the same neutral preferences.

I just recently finished my transportable and portable digital sources to where I'm ecstatic about using with each session. PrAT is now high priority for I when evaluating digital sources. I hope to complete my cables by year end (most likely another R4 for the Mojo, but more portable). This will give me a nice foundational baseline to listen to upcoming IEMs as the source and cable are near perfect neutral and accurate. I also use Target CDs as a baseline because they are uncompressed master sources before sound processing was a thing. So there should be zero weak links in the chain besides my subjective listening skills. I'm human, random poster on a forum so everything should be taken with a grain/pinch of salt. It's always best to try to try on your own.

http://www.thetargetcdcollection.com/p/target-cd-info.html

My plan was to bring one the sources to Asia going forward so it will help me evaluate IEMs now that I'm getting familiar with my gear. Last summer I tried out the Sony Just Ear MH2 Studio Monitor, but was forced to use a DAP which doesn't help as I need my own gear and music files as it compromises the evaluation. Lots of compressed Japanese / Asian songs on DAP. When conditions improve and I'm in Asia I'll be curious about the Fearless S6 Pro along with the plethora other other audio gear...

My ears don't play well with universals so have not tried the ER4SR. The ER4S was my gateway into this hobby in 2001, but I had custom molds. Once CIEMs were a thing, I moved on from Etymotic. I tried the UERR for 10 minutes at the Irvine HQ a few years ago, but again without a consistent source it's difficult to make a evaluation. I just remember something like the UE-10 hits the sweet spot between sound engineers and audiophiles where the UERR deviates from that spot. If the UERR or any neutral monitor was worth pursuing in this day and age, it would of blipped on my radar.

It's a tough hobby and even tougher for this signature.

I'm keeping an eye on PEARS as someone mentioned they have upcoming new models to possibly replace the SH3, but other than that I'm just waiting for the next UE Reference. I hope in 1-2 years, there will be more options for this genre. In the meantime, I'm going to try to create a baseline so it helps for further evaluation instead of just randomly trying audio gear in Asia without a baseline.

Apr 14, 2020 at 6:54 PM Post #129 of 153
I just posted this in one of the Chord Summit-Fi threads so just a copy and paste (More neutral monitors pretty please, plus more Pewdiepie (Pewdiepie #1):

I'm holding down the fort digital source-wise on the transportable and portable end with the Hugo2 and Mojo. I'm a CIEM-only type, so no headphones or speakers. It has turned my Chord World upside down thanks to all the education I received in the Chord Summit-Fi threads regarding digital sources. Of course a special thanks to Phuca whom inspired the idea.

Pros:
  • I can actually listen to RBCDs now. RW was right all along about RBCD.
  • PrAT. The music slows down a bit, takes a deep breathe and then just performs at such a amazing beautiful pace. I cannot live without this Pro now. It's like a completely different Chord device.
  • I can control UI wirelessly with almost zero lag / latency even with an Apple Watch or IR Remote Control which is a great option for portability.
  • Separation of duties and true Plug-and-Play. Any iOS updates will not cause issues with SQ or connectivity issues. The back-end handles the processing and the playback. The front-end only handles the UI. So no silly re-sampling via iOS or an iOS app. I'm using Lifatec glass optical so I can swap between Hugo2 and Mojo with no issues, it's just an optical source like a TV/PS4/Mac optical out; but with an audiophile-grade implemention of a WM8804 optical decoder.
  • It takes away the warmth of the Mojo. Since I'm using a neutral CIEM monitor. The combo of an ground loop-free, noise floor-free and rfi/rf noise-free and neutral monitor turns the Mojo into a neutral device. No warmness at all. It makes sense since Mojo measures flat but very sensitive to it's environment (USB and RF noise) which may contribute to this warmness. Those environmental concerns are completely eliminated by going battery-power and optical.
  • I need a battery pack.
  • No USB involvement. PCM data from CPU travels via i2S audio bus to WM8804 optical decoder to Lifatec glass optical. It's pure SQ at it's finest. Optical gives the Chord devices better depth for a more 3D sound vs just wide. RW is a depth fanatic and I'm trying to learn to become one too.
  • I'm no longer looking at uber-expensive exaggerated TOTL CIEMs. I'm focusing on neutral flat accurate CIEM monitors only as I'm running the most neutral, accurate, resolute and transparent transportable (Hugo2) along with the most neutral cable (SilverFi R4) one can procure. Neutral and accurate plays well through different time periods, while exaggerated FOTM comes and go. It doesn't make sense to me using an exaggerated transducer when everything in the chain measures flat. This can change tho as having a complete flat neutral foundation allows you to optimise the CIEM whether flat or exaggerated.
  • The music file plays via RAM not SD card. RAM > SD card for music playback.
  • It runs the same back-end / playback software as the highest-end of music streamers.
Cons:
  • I have to extract SACD redbook layer now instead of DSD stuff. I try to run everything PCM now.
  • I need a battery pack.
My goto master sources have come full circle so I'm back to Target RBCD's now when needing that pure SQ nirvana hit. Bye-bye SACD/DSD, Hello PCM:

http://www.thetargetcdcollection.com/p/target-cd-info.html

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2020 at 11:07 PM Post #131 of 153
once you're over getting a brand shoved 6 in. down your throat, QDC Anole was my best so far for detail. neutral with a bass boost, but 011 with the switches fixed it for me :)

Thank you. I've been so focused on my digital source I forget what's out there. It's a very reasonable and practical suggestion. Not to mention it's highly regarded, highly underestimated.

Next time I'm in Shenzhen, I'll visit QDC HQ. Do you recall the "local's" price compared to the overseas price? I should be able to get a "local's" price+.

I'll add it to the list of neutrals and make a table here in a few days.

1A: Has to be the next UE Reference. 3D digital impressions works for me and their tuned towards sound engineers for precision and accuracy.
1B: Sony MH2 Studio Version. I already have a deal worked out on price and shipping since it takes 2 months to complete, but this was before the chaos.
1C: QDC, Noble, etc.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2020 at 11:20 PM Post #132 of 153
once you're over getting a brand shoved 6 in. down your throat, QDC Anole was my best so far for detail. neutral with a bass boost, but 011 with the switches fixed it for me :)

that is some vulgar specificity, sir.
:astonished:

Apr 14, 2020 at 11:20 PM Post #133 of 153
Okay, at this moment I'm narrowing to two neutral possibilities. I eliminated the Sony XJE-MH2R "Monitor" as a candidate. The second option is a yet to be released UE product. I'm looking down the road so no worries.

My goal is to plan for obsolescence once my UE-10 gives out. My priority is tight bass. With the 13.5mm DD in the Sony XJE-MH1R, I was concerned it's all about decay and round slam. The UE-10 has the most gorgeous neutral tight punchy bass that's not overdone. It's just lowkey and doesn't blend with the mids. It makes my knees weak with each listening session. I'm terrified that once the UE-10 goes R.I.P. that I would never be able to experience this again unless UE releases an 20th Anniversary UE-10. Jerry Harvey probably devoted all his efforts into the perfect neutral tone in the world's first CIEM. I hope to replicate that during the 5 hour consulting session with the Sony Engineer for the XJE-MH1R. There's already one poster that has a tight bass and "neutral" tune, so should not be an issue.

I think I need to take things into my own hands as this tune will likely not be available since the market is steered towards the other "audiophile" direction. Sony has a long-term product cycle plan in place so it's not FOTM. For example, one can re-tune their Sony XJE-MH1R for a hefty consulting fee down the road (not uncommon as in car audio one has a tuning / re-tuning consulting fee to tune their car sound systems):

translate2.png

xe.png

translate1.png

translated web page:

1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

5.png

6.png

7.png

8.png

9.png

consult.png

Priority
Neutral CIEM

Description
1Sony XJE-MH1R (Sound Professionals)Personal tuning. Meticulous impressions. Can give them a FR graph and then tweak.
2UE Reference (Next Iteration) [Sound Professionals]3D Digital Impressions. Designed and tuned for precision and accuracy.
3Other (Audiophile)QDC, Noble, Hidition, etc .

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2020 at 8:51 PM Post #134 of 153

Tell me about it. Nic's two threads, the Shootout and the HE-IEM threads are shill central [TAG]. It's like brand after brand, website after website 2 out of every 5 posts. I left a long time ago and never going back. I focus mainly on the Chord threads. It's fine for member's of the trade, that's their business; but it's like random people and reviewer's (salesmen) pushing their brand or an agenda. I see it in the portable rig thread's too. It's like they post the same photos of their rigs like they have an "under the table" deal for that product. Usually, you post your portable rig and then it's the next poster. Some poster's it's like they have the "repeat" setting on their Music Player app. Like they have a quota of photos that needs to be posted to fulfill keeping that rig. In Asia, that's how things work, so I wouldn't be surprised.

Luckily, after discovering my digital source like you I'm pretty much done. Actually to think about it I am done. I just need to finish my music streamer DIY guide (It's to help others, not for any gain) and looking down the line for a neutral monitor replacement. Then it's hiatus time.

Once Nic went on hiatus, the threads went downhill. Nic's a great guy tho as some of the poster's on that thread IRL, but I'm there to learn and look at potential products not be bombarded by brands. Legitimate brands (Member's of the Trade) no problem. They keep the gears grinding for this site and you know where they stand. It's just the one's with an hidden agenda that I try to avoid. Last I heard, Nic was enjoying his R4 with re-terminated Eidolic 2-pin like mine/i4 combo about 6 months ago so good for him moving on... He can just enjoy the music after his great contributions to this site...

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2020 at 9:17 PM Post #135 of 153
Like they have a quota of photos that needs to be posted to fulfill keeping that rig. In Asia, that's how things work, so I wouldn't be surprised.

I have no proof that this type of activity does not exist, but I can say that type of activity can result in the manufacturer being permanently banned from headfi.org

In my opinion, the juice isn't worth the squeeze.

tenor.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back