Most annoying terminology used by audiophile today?
Jul 29, 2010 at 1:46 AM Post #33 of 92

Quote:
I dunno why, but I always cringe when I hear this used. Like they put this colored item with that colored item and "synergy" occurred.

Which is exactly what it's referring to. You could pair a headphone on 2 amps with different designs but similar specs and one sounds better than the other because they have better synergy. It's purely a personal opinion, but it does have a fairly specific meaning.

Jul 29, 2010 at 2:57 AM Post #34 of 92
The important thing is to note that synergy in the audiophile has nothing to do with say, something being greater than the sum of its parts or 1+1=3 in a M&A context and everything do with matching. I suppose it would suck if you paired a bright DAC with a bright AMP with a bright headphone. It's not my favorite term either, but at least I know what others are talking about.

Jul 29, 2010 at 7:07 AM Post #36 of 92

Quote:
just because YOU don't...

Indeed ; And don't reference "Head-stage" to 'em either :wink: 

/ Head-Fi Glossary FTW :wink:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/220770/describing-sound-a-glossary

// Of course, in the  (IIRC) '08 Head-Fi poll some 70+% stated they weren't audiophiles ...

Jul 29, 2010 at 11:51 AM Post #37 of 92

Quote:
just because YOU don't...

Quote:

Indeed ; And don't reference "Head-stage" to 'em either :wink: 

/ Head-Fi Glossary FTW :wink:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/220770/describing-sound-a-glossary

// Of course, in the  (IIRC) '08 Head-Fi poll some 70+% stated they weren't audiophiles ...

I'm pretty aware of the meanings of both terms, and how they can be used. There is no set definition for these terms either. If you are interested, I use both soundstage and headstage as defined in Darth Nut's Stax Omega II review, which is, to me, the pinnacle of headphone reviews.

Also, some of the definitions in that glossary are ridiculous.

Quote:
Speed - A fast system with good pace gives the impression of being right on the money in its timing.

Jul 29, 2010 at 3:07 PM Post #38 of 92

Quote:
I'm pretty aware of the meanings of both terms, and how they can be used. There is no set definition for these terms either. If you are interested, I use both soundstage and headstage as defined in Darth Nut's Stax Omega II review, which is, to me, the pinnacle of headphone reviews.

You're correct both in that a WIDE latitude is seemingly allowed by even the more professional reviewers as to exactly what they mean using these somewhat subjective terms enclosed , as well as Darth Nut's extensive definition of "Headstage" being a great resource for that terms usage .

I thought my post would be useful to some readers though obviously not pointedly yourself perhaps, now with further information , though the one word previous post had me wondering ...

I believe the root of the problem is the triangulation of the complexity of what is trying to be conveyed (specific instance of software & hardware components as a system compared to some reference and its sound as reproduced by one listeners experience ) , the inadequacy of these symbolic words where degrees of intensity are difficult to convey in contrast as well, then the readers understanding by definition , experience (reference) and imagination as to what otherwise should be a clear and precise words definition...     

Always problematic painting an accurate image for a reader with language and moreso when the subject is what is being heard by the author ...

I remember when I had my Grado RS-2s , there was hardly any headstage to speak of for the separation of individual instruments upon the imaginary stage vs lets say , and in contrast to my K-701s with the same gear upstream as well as music / software , just for instance, etc ...

Happy listening !

Jul 29, 2010 at 4:16 PM Post #40 of 92

Quote:

You're correct both in that a WIDE latitude is seemingly allowed by even the more professional reviewers as to exactly what they mean using these somewhat subjective terms enclosed , as well as Darth Nut's extensive definition of "Headstage" being a great resource for that terms usage .

I thought my post would be useful to some readers though obviously not pointedly yourself perhaps, now with further information , though the one word previous post had me wondering ...

I believe the root of the problem is the triangulation of the complexity of what is trying to be conveyed (specific instance of software & hardware components as a system compared to some reference and its sound as reproduced by one listeners experience ) , the inadequacy of these symbolic words where degrees of intensity are difficult to convey in contrast as well, then the readers understanding by definition , experience (reference) and imagination as to what otherwise should be a clear and precise words definition...     

Always problematic painting an accurate image for a reader with language and moreso when the subject is what is being heard by the author ...

I remember when I had my Grado RS-2s , there was hardly any headstage to speak of for the separation of individual instruments upon the imaginary stage vs lets say , and in contrast to my K-701s with the same gear upstream as well as music / software , just for instance, etc ...

Happy listening !

You hit the nail on the head with this post. These symbolic words, as you say, are like creating imagery in a good novel. The idea that you can interpret data from your senses, write it in words, and expect others to understand precisely what was going on in your ears is treading difficult paths. Headphone (and any audio) reviewing is much like creative writing in its complexity and the difficulty that creating images can cause.

The breadth of definitions for single terms can be incredibly problematic.  Writing reviews is tricky business, unless you do as Darth Nut did and describe what you are referring to by breaking down every detail. Unfortunately, that is a difficult (and time consuming) process.

The lesson to be had from all of this is, of course, to try things yourself and get experience and input from your own senses, not the rough double-translation of others. It's like the game "telephone" that children play, where the end result is not what the reviewer experienced or intended to convey.

Jul 29, 2010 at 4:22 PM Post #41 of 92
"Foot tapping" treble. What the hell is that.

Jul 29, 2010 at 4:47 PM Post #42 of 92

Quote:
You hit the nail on the head with this post. These symbolic words, as you say, are like creating imagery in a good novel. The idea that you can interpret data from your senses, write it in words, and expect others to understand precisely what was going on in your ears is treading difficult paths. Headphone (and any audio) reviewing is much like creative writing in its complexity and the difficulty that creating images can cause.

The breadth of definitions for single terms can be incredibly problematic.  Writing reviews is tricky business, unless you do as Darth Nut did and describe what you are referring to by breaking down every detail. Unfortunately, that is a difficult (and time consuming) process.

The lesson to be had from all of this is, of course, to try things yourself and get experience and input from your own senses, not the rough double-translation of others. It's like the game "telephone" that children play, where the end result is not what the reviewer experienced or intended to convey.

Well stated conclusion and principal(s) to be understood :wink:

Now excuse me as I ferret out second hand opinions on my next DAC upgrade 
blink.gif
as UPS trashed my 100% insured 1.5 y.o. CA-740c (which I was wholehartedly in love with in my system and with its performance) , yet the opportunity to upgrade is like forever calling ... Here we go again
tongue.gif

Enjoy ~

Jul 29, 2010 at 6:19 PM Post #43 of 92
The word is dated though.  the Office Space movie basically made it one of those words that makes it laughable.  I used to hear it used at work often, but now it's never used since that movie came out. 

The same thing happened with words like 'Paradigm Shift", or when you are not available saying "I am out of pocket".  Then there is the super lame word "Space" when used in referring to a particular task or job role (e.g. "I used to work in the engineering space.   Sorry, but to me the word Synergy is lame.  I prefer to say "Good match up", or "They work well together"

Jul 29, 2010 at 7:08 PM Post #44 of 92
Timing and pace...my crappy AM radio never sounded out of time to me

Jul 29, 2010 at 9:23 PM Post #45 of 92

Quote:
"Foot tapping" treble. What the hell is that.

That's just someone describing the emotions their gear makes them feel. Your feelings on that treble may vary.

Quote:
The word is dated though.  the Office Space movie basically made it one of those words that makes it laughable.  I used to hear it used at work often, but now it's never used since that movie came out. 

Oh office trends. Imagine how hard it is for me keep up, working a bit in Hong Kong with all the Brits and locals and then working abit in the US with all the different flavors of Americans
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back