Most annoying terminology used by audiophile today?
Jul 28, 2010 at 9:04 AM Post #16 of 92
"lush mids"
dt880smile.png

and all the stuff generated by this: http://www.tech-diy.com/audio_bs.htm

Jul 28, 2010 at 12:28 PM Post #19 of 92
SPEED.

No one understands it.

SOUNDSTAGE.

No one understands that either.

Grr.

Jul 28, 2010 at 12:50 PM Post #20 of 92
I find most adjectives used to describe audio sound annoying, especially when applied to cables of any kind. I think a few of the basic words like, bass, mids, highs, detail.....etc are all thats needed. 

Jul 28, 2010 at 1:03 PM Post #21 of 92
I find almost all cable company websites to be ridiculous and annoying. They use all sorts of terms to market them its absolute bull. There are few amongst these bunch who just sell a cable saying its built well, has very good components and thats why we sell it. Most of them have to say "I hear angels singing" or "Improved seperation and soundstage" or "Better dynamics" or something along those lines. Its a good laugh if you can find the humor in it, but it can get very annoying when someone buys something and writes a long explanation using similar terms.

I am a cable believer however (albeit only in the analog section, not digital cables), because I have heard the difference between two. But my view has always been, get a good quality cable compared to run off the mill crap and there is a difference, beyond that, I honestly couldnt tell.

I understand when people say "I am hearing things I've never heard before" because it has happened time and again for me when I upgrade certain components. But unfortunately that has been used so many times by so many people its gotten very cliched.

Jul 28, 2010 at 1:04 PM Post #22 of 92
Night and day. All of the above terms I use regularly and are perfectly acceptable and understandable
confused_face.gif

Jul 28, 2010 at 2:09 PM Post #23 of 92
Burn in. And fr some bloke to wish their amp/headphone/dac/cable/ipod/dap to sound better after certain period of time......if thats the case, a "properly" burned stuff should sell higher than new. Sheesh

Jul 28, 2010 at 3:09 PM Post #24 of 92

Quote:
I find most adjectives used to describe audio sound annoying, especially when applied to cables of any kind. I think a few of the basic words like, bass, mids, highs, detail.....etc are all thats needed. 

Agree, some time people got in to creative writing too deep, and I don't what the he*k they trying to say!!
mad.gif

Jul 28, 2010 at 10:01 PM Post #27 of 92
Investment. Unless it actually appreciates in value like a K1000 or R10, it's an expense. If it's not actual financial gain, use some other term.

Audiophile nirvana . If you want to talk about happiness, say bliss. As described so thoughtfully in the last thread about nirvana , nirvana  talks about more than just happiness or utopia or paradise.

I don't have problems with some of the fancy audiophile terms, sometimes it's just people trying to describe an emotion or a fleeting impression, but it's better to be preicse. It's pretty ew when new members try to regurgitate        the language though.

Jul 28, 2010 at 11:06 PM Post #29 of 92
I don't honestly think synergy is a bad term at all. It's easier to say that a pair of components have good "synergy" than to say "X amp pairs really well with these headphones." That's not to say that either way is wrong, but I see nothing wrong with the word. Pretty much all the other posts I agree with though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back