More I search...more I'm confused, help! Ety E6i died, looking for new IEM budget not important
Mar 1, 2011 at 9:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

18000rpm

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

There's so much information and opinions here that the more I search the more I'm unable to decide.

I've been using an Etymotic E6i grafted onto iPhone earphone cables (with remote and mic, done by Ultimate Buds). The right side has gone bad so I'm looking for a replacement.

I mostly listen to jazz but I also like a strong low-end.

iPhone compatibility (with mic) is a big plus but if the sound is really that much better I'm willing to overlook the lack of this feature.

My current top choices:

Westone 4
Etymotic HF3
Shure SE535
Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10vi

Any suggestions please? Was quite set on the SE535 until I read some reviews saying it doesn't have much bass...or something like that.

Thanks,
Bryan

Mar 1, 2011 at 9:46 AM Post #2 of 10
I just posted yesterday in the "Terrible HF5" thread. As it turns out, I totally disagree with the title but that's what the thread is called!:xf_eek:

So anyway, here are my comments from that thread. Reading through this now, I see it seems much more down on the HF5 that I really intended. I'm enjoying them and suspect that it's more a case of I really, really dig the ER6i sound (which many people do not, as you probably know) so the HF5 suffers by comparison when listening to certain favorite tracks. But anyway, for what it's worth here's my experience about two days into owning the HF5's...

I just got a pair of the HF5, having owned a pair of ER6i for several years. Getting the 6i's in and out of my ears is such a hassle that I've only ever used them on long airplane trips and such. As I hoped the HF5 is more comfortable and is easier to hold onto for insertion and removal. But I must say they don't sound nearly as good to me.

Things with a fair bit of bass tend to have that problem where when the bass is playing the other instruments get less distinct. I guess it could be that they are harder to drive (by an iPod Nano) and it's really the iPod's fault but for whatever reason they are just not as clear and transparent on bass-heavy music as the ER6i.

As compared to my HD-595 I'd say the bass on the ER6i is less present but possibly a bit better controlled. The bass on my new HF5 is present but just a bit muddy.

Still, they are comfortable and convenient which is why I bought them. I'll just keep the ER6i for long trips and use the HD-595 for critical listening.

Mar 1, 2011 at 10:33 AM Post #4 of 10
No, I keep going back and checking that because it sounds almost exactly like a bad EQ attempt at "more bass". But I get the same thing with my old iPod Video (5.5G?), the Nano and even plugged into my laptop's headphone output (which sounds like poo no matter headphones). And the Nano does fine driving the ER6i or HD595, although directly running the big Senn's always seem to cause the player to struggle a bit.

I do think it could be a fit issue. I use the larger grey 3-flange tips on the HF5 which are just a bit larger and firmer than the white 3-flange ER6i tips. So maybe the same thing that makes them more comfortable and easier to put in and out is causing a seal problem.

Let me also say that I'm noticing this mostly with a few "torture tracks" of small acoustic ensembles with an acoustic bass recorded pretty hot, featured really. On 90% of the stuff on my iPod the HF5 sounds like a slightly warmer version of the ER6i but when there's a bunch o'bass competing with guitars, mandolins and the like it really lets me down.

Mar 1, 2011 at 11:05 AM Post #7 of 10
I sometimes think I ought to use different tips in each ear. My left ear canal is a long and winding road while the right one is a pretty straight shot. Maybe I ought to put the small tip on that left ear and let it get on down in there. I know fishing an ER6i out of that ear when you're in a hurry is kind of iffy!

P.S. All morning I've been listening to various "stuff" in my Nano/HF5 and it really is a pleasing sound. Maybe I've spent too much effort these first couple days doing A/B comparisons with the ER6i trying to pin down differences. The best review is always to plug 'em in and see if you're still having fun listening after 2-3 hours. Right now it's "Eight Miles High (live)" from The Byrds "Live at the Royal Albert Hall, 1971" which is the kind of live concert recording that ought to sound muddy if anything's going to sound muddy. Eighteen-plus minutes of jam band goodness from back before anyone coined the phrase "jam band". Sounds great...

Mar 2, 2011 at 7:57 AM Post #9 of 10
Well if I may continue my threadjack of 18000rpm's discussion for one more post...

You might want to ignore my initial "review" of the HF5. As of this morning all is explained. I've pretty clearly got something going on in my right ear, probably due to the changing weather. Last night and again right now it's alternating between stuffed-up and a ringing sound. I noticed yesterday and again today when practicing my mandolin that it sounds like the strings have suddenly gone dead.

No wonder I kept getting mixed messages about the HF5. They sound great, they sound muddy, no they sound great, no they're not clear at all. Most likely they do sound great but only when my ear unstops itself for a few minutes. I probably still like the ER6i sound slightly better but won't know for sure until I get some quality time with the HF5 and two ears working.

This is why I should not post review-type comments after just 3-4 days with new equipment...

Jul 16, 2011 at 6:58 AM Post #10 of 10
So I ended up getting the Etymotic HF3 but I'm a little undewhelmed by the sound quality. Detail is pretty good and noise isolation is great as is expected, but it is a little flat and uninvolving.

I'd like to upgrade to something better.

What would you guy recommend that fits the following:

1. Less than $500 or so.
2. Noise isolating.
3. With iPhone controls and mic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back