More Fiio X3 64GB MicroSD Issues!
Dec 5, 2013 at 3:08 AM Post #106 of 181
  Does the X3 take a long time to read the micro sd card that's full with music?
I'm hoping to buy a few 64GB micro SD cards to fit all my music on and use it primary to listen to music instead of the computer. I would like to easily swap memory cards.

Everything works pretty much instant for me (including switching to a track on the internal memory from the SD card).  Prefer everything about it over iPod thus far (aside from the capacity limit [and current issue with 64GB cards]).  Not sure why some seem to suggest the interface isn't user friendly.  

HOWEVER, I wasn't able to fix the issue I was having with the 64GB card losing information after putting more files on it (still less than 32GB worth), but I ended up getting a 32GB and it has been working perfectly with 25GBs loaded on it (no more FF issue either).  Quite unfortunate.  Hopefully that gets fixed.  

Dec 5, 2013 at 11:48 AM Post #107 of 181

Everything works pretty much instant for me (including switching to a track on the internal memory from the SD card).  Prefer everything about it over iPod thus far (aside from the capacity limit [and current issue with 64GB cards]).  Not sure why some seem to suggest the interface isn't user friendly.  

HOWEVER, I wasn't able to fix the issue I was having with the 64GB card losing information after putting more files on it (still less than 32GB worth), but I ended up getting a 32GB and it has been working perfectly with 25GBs loaded on it (no more FF issue either).  Quite unfortunate.  Hopefully that gets fixed.  

Ok I see this player does have problems with 64GB cards. I can get more 32GBs and save money. I'm better off doing that. Thanks!

Dec 5, 2013 at 3:24 PM Post #108 of 181
I just got an x3 yesterday. I had the same problem where the computer recognized the 64 gb microSD card but the x3 showed 0.00 gb available. I could only format the card in exFAT.

I downloaded this tool
http://www.verbatim.com/includes/binary_details.php3?show=1&id=840
it formatted the card for FAT32 and the card was immediately recognized. So far I've only put about 5 gb of music on the card but I've been listening for about three hours and have had no issues. Everything I've loaded on here has sounded great and played flawlessly.

I've used various ipod classics over the years but I haven't found the interface of the x3 difficult to use at all.

Dec 7, 2013 at 2:30 AM Post #109 of 181
I got the x3 last Thursday and everything went good.. updated to latest firmware put some flac files and i'm satisfied with the results. I only have a problem when i formatted my 64gb sdxc micro sd card to fat 32 from exfat, the adapter doesn't recognize it at all anymore when i put it on my computer. My X3 recognizes the 64gb card though, but transferring  song from the usb cable takes a long time max of 2-4mb/s. I used the formatting option of the x3 btw

Dec 7, 2013 at 7:17 AM Post #110 of 181
Well, that tells you that the cheapo adapter might be defective... Buy another one and test...

Dec 7, 2013 at 8:34 AM Post #111 of 181
  I got the x3 last Thursday and everything went good.. updated to latest firmware put some flac files and i'm satisfied with the results. I only have a problem when i formatted my 64gb sdxc micro sd card to fat 32 from exfat, the adapter doesn't recognize it at all anymore when i put it on my computer. My X3 recognizes the 64gb card though, but transferring  song from the usb cable takes a long time max of 2-4mb/s. I used the formatting option of the x3 btw

Some people have experienced problems with the card on the PC when using the formatting option of the X3. I recommend you to try guiformat.

I haven't had any issues with my card, all files are recognize by the player and I use my PC to transfer the files. I most have FLAC and some mp3, at the moment I have:

52.5 gb used of 58.5 gb, with 2548 files and 303 folders.

I transfer files to my microsd card using the adapter, this way I get 17mb/s write transfers, instead the 4mb/s if I use the X3. If is a fast microsd card, well worth using the adapter.

Dec 7, 2013 at 9:21 AM Post #112 of 181

Is it an adapter from microSD to SD which you then plug into an SD card slot on your computer? If so, I suspect an SD to USB converter will work better if you are using Windows. It's just a theory, so any windows users who know better, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Dec 8, 2013 at 10:21 PM Post #113 of 181
Does the X3 take a long time to read the micro sd card that's full with music?
I'm hoping to buy a few 64GB micro SD cards to fit all my music on and use it primary to listen to music instead of the computer. I would like to easily swap memory cards.

The X3 recognizes the files on a new card for the "browse files" functionality (navigate by folders) instantly, but needs to rebuild its media library for the category-based browsing (browse by album, artist, genre) if cards are changed. This can take quite a while with a full 32GB or 64GB card. So your proposal works best if you have your music organized by folders, perhaps thusly:
http://youtu.be/YqsI3sWsSM4

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Dec 8, 2013 at 10:47 PM Post #114 of 181
The issue with disappearing data (on some occasions) on 64GB cards has been recognized and the problem in the X3's firmware identified. It will be fixed in a coming firmware update. :)

For what it's worth, the same fix will be applied to the X5.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Dec 8, 2013 at 10:54 PM Post #115 of 181
used the guiformat and works like a charm i can now use the adapter and transfer files on my micro sd card.. so far no problems using my x3 used 20gb of the 64 gb microsd card and most of the internal memory.. :D thanks guys

Dec 10, 2013 at 6:46 PM Post #116 of 181
The issue with disappearing data (on some occasions) on 64GB cards has been recognized and the problem in the X3's firmware identified. It will be fixed in a coming firmware update.
smily_headphones1.gif

For what it's worth, the same fix will be applied to the X5.

Glad to hear that

Now, the organization of how the Category browsing works will change?

Right now (as firmware 2.1) is:

Category --> Artist --> Any artist with several albums --> it show all songs from all albums

I think there is a good group of users there that would like this work:

Category --> Artist --> Any artist with several albums --> albums --> songs for the album

Cheers

Dec 20, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #117 of 181
My x3 still has random file recognition issues. They may be related to the Micro SD cards I am using.... and might not.. This is the 3rd unit I have owned (sent back two). I tried numerous brands and sizes of micro SD cards and only had better luck with Sandisk class 10 32Gb cards. Even with these cards there are files/songs that are listed but do not play in the X3. The X3 really sounds great with my FLAC collection but in checking the various threads I see there are still other issues. FIIO has sent Reponses with all kinds of solutions including sending it back to china........ I have over 2000 CDs ripped to FLAC on a music server and have no issues over the network or when I download them to my $35 Sansa zip clip (using the same micro SD cards). Sometimes it's just not worth the trouble to continue to mess with something that should be simple to use. Contributors to Head-Fi have offered solutions from the (DUH GEE why didn't I think of that ...... to rewriting the X3 internal code....) I trust that FIIO will eventual resolve these issues before they create and market a new unit.....

Dec 21, 2013 at 12:58 AM Post #118 of 181
My x3 still has random file recognition issues. They may be related to the Micro SD cards I am using.... and might not.. This is the 3rd unit I have owned (sent back two). I tried numerous brands and sizes of micro SD cards and only had better luck with Sandisk class 10 32Gb cards. Even with these cards there are files/songs that are listed but do not play in the X3.

This is probably happening because the X3 is unable to play back those particular files (problem with format support, e.g. compression levels, unsupported album art, etc.)

The X3 really sounds great with my FLAC collection but in checking the various threads I see there are still other issues. FIIO has sent Reponses with all kinds of solutions including sending it back to china........ I have over 2000 CDs ripped to FLAC on a music server and have no issues over the network or when I download them to my $35 Sansa zip clip (using the same micro SD cards). Sometimes it's just not worth the trouble to continue to mess with something that should be simple to use. Contributors to Head-Fi have offered solutions from the (DUH GEE why didn't I think of that ...... to rewriting the X3 internal code....) I trust that FIIO will eventual resolve these issues before they create and market a new unit.....

If you don't feel like messing with the unit anymore surely it will be no trouble to send it back to us? Or do you intend to resell it?

Dec 29, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #119 of 181
Has anyone used the Mac Disc Utility to format a 64gb card for use with the X3? I work within the OS X environment, so before I buy a new 64gb card, I'd like to know what tool(s) I have available to me for this task. Thanks.

Dec 29, 2013 at 12:55 PM Post #120 of 181
Has anyone used the Mac Disc Utility to format a 64gb card for use with the X3? I work within the OS X environment, so before I buy a new 64gb card, I'd like to know what tool(s) I have available to me for this task. Thanks.

Yes - works perfectly. But you can use the X3 itself to format the card with the latest firmware.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back