More choices ...when will it end! Pacific Valve Ming DA MC 84C07
Jun 25, 2010 at 4:24 PM Post #211 of 270
NOS! Of course :)

Jun 25, 2010 at 11:31 PM Post #212 of 270
TRANSFORMER OUTPUT

To end the previous confusion I emailed Ming Da:

Dear Sir,
Please can you clarify if the MC84-C07 AMPLIFIER ( http://www.mei-xing.com/English/cp/5_84-C07.html ) has output transformers?
If it does have output transformers are these just for the headphone out or for the speaker out?
Regards....

ten minutes later this email reply came back (hows that for service).....

Dear....
Thanks for your questions.
We have output transformer in MC84-C07. The output transformers are for both headphone out and the speaker out. You can choose headphone or speaker as you like.
Any questions, please feel free to contact me.
Best Regards,
S............

I must say the service from Ming Da to me has been consistently rapid, polite and very helpful. Ive been so impressed by my Chinese dealings that I have no hesitation to buy Chinese now.

Jun 26, 2010 at 3:01 AM Post #213 of 270
I have always suspected that this amp may be TC. For one reason. Otl amps have a hard time driving low impedance cans. This amp has never had a problem driving any of my low impedance cans. Even those that were inefficient and hard to drive. It drove them as well as it did the high impedance cans. Well really, it drove them better. I never went past 8:30 on the volume knob with any of my low impedance cans. The only problem with the low impedance cans was hum. So there must be a design flaw in there some where. It's even recomeded on their site to use 32ohm cans. I think the problem may be the output transformers or other components may be too close to the power transformer. It's just a guess. There should be an easy mod to fix it.

Jun 26, 2010 at 9:30 AM Post #214 of 270
The curious thing about that though, for me, is that I always got hum with low impedance cans - but that might just have been their generally higher sensitivity, and had nothing to do with the impedance.

Jun 26, 2010 at 12:45 PM Post #215 of 270
Would not the 5751 driver tubes with lower gain than 12AX7's help in minimising hum?  After that I will look at these ohm adapters.

Jun 26, 2010 at 1:53 PM Post #217 of 270
Actually, they did. When tubes were being mass-produced, the facilities used to produce them were definitely superior to the job-shop type way they are made today.

And if you're going to insult audiophiles as the lunatic fringe, you may have found your way to the wrong Internet site, Mr. I Just Registered Today and Am Already Being Insulting.

Jun 26, 2010 at 2:45 PM Post #218 of 270
I never insulted all audiophiles but I definitely have a bone to pick with the lunatic fringe types. I love healthy discussion. If I can save even just one noob from wasting their money on psycho-acoustic babble then my time here is well spent.

I expect it is you that flagged my post and is why the mods are now pre-screening my posts. Thanks sport.

Jun 26, 2010 at 2:50 PM Post #219 of 270
Skylab you shouldn't have wasted the precious seconds it took to type that response. All you did was answer a question and this "person" comes out of no where and rips you for it. If anyone doubts the differences in construction you have to go no further than to look at a nos tube and a currently manufactured tube side by side. The differences in construction is obvious. And yes, it does translate to better sound in my experiences.

Jun 26, 2010 at 3:33 PM Post #220 of 270

Quote:
Why? I don't believe they had some  magical manufacturing process that made tubes sound better back in the old days. I've seen claims to such but just discard it as the ravings of lunatic fringe audiophiles that are probably tone deaf. :)

is this from your experience with Lunchbox or have you heard any other tube amps? 

Jun 28, 2010 at 8:08 AM Post #222 of 270
Can everyone please ignore the above poster. The poster appears to feed on attention in a dysfunctional manner.

I suspect the poster is a young confused male who had a very deprived childhood. His Dad likely left the family when he was about four restricting his emotional development to that of a four year old. Therefore mortonP probably just needs a big hug.

Im sure somewhere inside you moronP theres a clever and beautiful person just wanting to burst out. Just try and resist that overwhelming urge you get to try and hurt your Dad by getting the last spiteful word in, which unfortunately for you will simply support the interpretation that you have the emotional intelligence of a four year old.

Now run along and play with the other kids.

Jun 28, 2010 at 12:24 PM Post #224 of 270
 mortonP 

Why? I don't believe they had some  magical manufacturing process that made tubes sound better back in the old days. I've seen claims to such but just discard it as the ravings of lunatic fringe audiophiles that are probably tone deaf. :)

Quote:
is this from your experience with Lunchbox or have you heard any other tube amps? 

Quote:
It's just a theory I have based on much research. 

Thanks for clarification. 
Just wanted to make sure that you do not have much experience listening as it sounded that way :)

Jun 28, 2010 at 12:34 PM Post #225 of 270
Well, Skylab ranks the LunchboxPro up there with the best he has heard so one would theorize I should be able to hear this difference in SQ and yet I don't.  Not saying there is no difference at all  in *sound signature*  but better SQ than my Denon surround receiver? Nope.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back