More bass than ATH-M50
Feb 7, 2011 at 12:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

slapshot30

500+ Head-Fier
Listen guys, I tried the M50's out for a while and the bass just never really fulfilled my expectations. Burn-in didn't do much, even my E5 with bass boost didn't do that much. No I do not want big muddy bass that messes up the clarity. It's just before I bought the M50's I had all these people telling me how much bass there was. I listen to a lot of hip-hop/techno and they just couldn't do the job, other than the bass though, they were great. I sold those away and now I'm looking for some headphones with more bass around $175 (unamped preferably out of iPod). Please don't recommend anything from the Sony XB series though, I will be wearing these in public and I don't want to look like a dude with a couple giant donuts attached to a headband.
Thanks.

Feb 7, 2011 at 12:59 AM Post #6 of 25
Feb 7, 2011 at 1:11 AM Post #9 of 25
Phiaton MS400 is probably among the best choices in that price range that looks great for public use. Klipsch Image ONE is another but it's on-ear if that matters but very comfortable for on-ear.

Feb 7, 2011 at 2:23 AM Post #12 of 25
Hopefully this could help the OP as well.

Could you give a quick synopsis between the Klipsch Image One vs. ATH-M50 vs. XB500? I am currently deciding between those 3. I want sub-bass, overall sound quality, isolation, and durability. I usually listent to rock/hip-hop/pop. Thanks.

Feb 7, 2011 at 11:18 AM Post #13 of 25
Yea the Phiaton one looks pretty good. Just wondering if anyone can comment on the bass comparison between the ATH-M50 and MS400. I'm also considering the V-Moda Crossfade LP. I know a lot of people say there is too much bass but honestly, if I think the M50 bass isn't enough, maybe that will be sufficient for me...

Quote:
Phiaton MS400 is probably among the best choices in that price range that looks great for public use. Klipsch Image ONE is another but it's on-ear if that matters but very comfortable for on-ear.

Feb 7, 2011 at 11:30 AM Post #14 of 25
I own the Ath-m50s and find the bass lacking as well. The Klipsch Image Ones have the most bass I have ever heard in a headphone. You should try them, more bass than monster turbines and anything by Dr. Dre. The Klipsch also have ipod controls.

Feb 7, 2011 at 11:34 AM Post #15 of 25
XB500 has probably the biggest bass of all but yea it doesn't look particularly "cool" in the public perhaps, that's why my suggest is Phiaton MS400 or Klipsch Image One knowing these have lots of bass as well but not quite Sony XB levels but close. The problem with V-Moda Crossfade LP is that it's overpriced for the sound quality you get, the bass is definitely huge though. You may want to read this thread http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/536880/review-fashion-vs-function-phiaton-ms400-b-w-p5-monster-beats-solo-v-moda-crossfade-sony-xb700-hd25-1 and possibly you could find some1 that could help you out more there too.

I don't exactly how M50 compare vs Phiaton MS400 in bass quantity but M50 was a dissappointment for me as well as a fellow basshead (but I still suspect it may be something wrong with the sample I had tried b4 any M50 hiphip listener or whatever bulges in and beg to differ) as I've demoed other fairly neutral sounding headphones and the M50 I tried wasn't really any different bass-wise.

MS400 and possibly Klipsch Image One (but I dislike on-ear) is on my want-to-try list at least but I don't care about the fashion part myself, could wear a "hello kitty" pink edition headphone as long as sound is great as I only need one for home use. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back