Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Feb 17, 2024 at 8:20 PM Post #11,896 of 11,979
I'm absolutely blown away by the May.

I got them brand new on eBay for £57 with a 10% off ebay promo on one of the stores.

These are absolutely absurd for the price. For reference I have some very good high end iEMs in the Dorada (£1100), and have owned quite a few high end sets (Xelento, Andromeda, Solaris), so I've been spoiled a bit and these sound bloody good, and i don't actively miss my other sets while using them, which is a good sign. They're very intimate, but the timbre and cohesiveness of the sound is superb.

That's how I'd describe may, cohesive and beautiful. Most people getting into IEMs should start here.

I'm considering on making a video about these vs the Airpods Pro 2. Because the APP in general have lulled us into this idea that you absolutely must have a tws to live life, with ANC too. But using the May with USB-C, which plugs into the iPhone, Macbook, etc, I am actually finding them more convenient in some ways than my APP. Occassionally APP messes up it's connection. Or switches to another device when I don't want it to. Or needs charging. Or wasn't on the charging pad.

And all things considered, May sounds better than APP2. It's a wired iEM, cleaner, less digitised and overall just a better sound top to bottom I believe. It has so much more weightiness than APP2.

So for many people attached to tws I'd advise them, see what it's like living without APP2 and with May. You might find you're actually not missing anything, and gaining quite a lot, along with almost $200 in the pocket to boot.
On top of all that, the shell is laser etched instead of painted, so hopefully better longevity than a lot of Moondrop IEMs.

Overall it's wildly slept on, and I completely agree. It's kinda weirdly close to my Monarch MK3.

Feb 21, 2024 at 5:04 PM Post #11,898 of 11,979
On top of all that, the shell is laser etched instead of painted, so hopefully better longevity than a lot of Moondrop IEMs.

Overall it's wildly slept on, and I completely agree. It's kinda weirdly close to my Monarch MK3.
After listening to May's as my portable source exclusively, switching back to my £379.99 B&W bluetooth headphones (PX7 S2) I found the headphones sounding congested, lacking in clarity and detail...People don't know the deal they're missing out with on the May.

And to be honest overall I find the USB-C DSP cable more convenient than the woes of bluetooth connectivity and keepin Airpods/Headphones charged.

Feb 21, 2024 at 5:13 PM Post #11,899 of 11,979
After listening to May's as my portable source exclusively, switching back to my £379.99 B&W bluetooth headphones (PX7 S2) I found the headphones sounding congested, lacking in clarity and detail...People don't know the deal they're missing out with on the May.

And to be honest overall I find the USB-C DSP cable more convenient than the woes of bluetooth connectivity and keepin Airpods/Headphones charged.
Will the May function when connected to a USB-C DAP?

Feb 21, 2024 at 5:28 PM Post #11,900 of 11,979
It works fine with my hidisz ap80 pro x, but you need to be careful with volume, im using it with something like 5/100 on low gain

Feb 21, 2024 at 5:36 PM Post #11,901 of 11,979
May, and all these USB-C IEMs, works with anything that supports USB audio,
or digital transport, or a dongle, whatever you want to call it. May has a “dongle” + DSP integrated into the USB-C connector.
It won’t work with these DAPs or phones where the USB-C is only for charging (if those devices exist…).

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2024 at 3:05 PM Post #11,902 of 11,979
Maybe not strictly IEM-related, but Dawn Pro drains my phone's battery so much that I'm having second thoughts about using them together. And all I'm driving with it is some IEMs.

Mar 1, 2024 at 6:35 PM Post #11,903 of 11,979
I got the Moondrop Variations 2 months ago. Initially I wasn't impressed.
Things sounded shouty and nasal and a bit sibilant.

But then I got to some serious listening and my ears/brain adjusted.
Right now I feel as if I'm listening to music in a concert hall.

They are so expansive and pristine clean. It's amazing.

It's like a AKG K702 with a subbass boost.

Mar 3, 2024 at 3:51 PM Post #11,906 of 11,979
Mar 3, 2024 at 5:39 PM Post #11,907 of 11,979
regarding the space travel, is there an internal difference between the white and the newer black model? by contrast, iirc, there were changes between the black and white models of the nekocake?

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2024 at 10:25 AM Post #11,908 of 11,979
Hi all, just wrote a piece about the Moondrop KATO :)

https://www.headphoneer.com/moondrop-kato-review/

1000012798.jpg

Mar 12, 2024 at 9:16 PM Post #11,909 of 11,979
Received the Variations today. Very enjoyable sound. I haven’t listened enough to form an impression beyond that yet, but overall nice tuning and engaging sound. I don’t actually care much about neutrality as long as the sound is euphonic, so while definitely V shaped it’s well executed IMHO.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back