Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Mar 16, 2024 at 7:17 PM Post #11,911 of 11,979
TLDR:

The Moondrop Variations is eye opening good. Best IEM I’ve heard and impressed by the ES performance. Also, I don’t know much about IEMs..

Below are my opinions on the Moondrop Variations. Keep in mind that I’m not a professional musician, recording engineer, or anything other than a middle aged audiophile. My preferred musical genres are (in no particular order) folk, jazz, classic rock, and to a lesser degree EDM and classical.. I have a strong preference for live recordings. I usually listen at pretty moderate volume, 80 dB max and usually between 60-70 dB.

IMG_0431.jpeg

Why the Variations?
I bought a HIBY Pro 6 II to replace my FIIO M11 Pro and figured it would be a good time to add another IEM. My budget was around $500 and the Variations was well reviewed as an upgrade to the loved Blessing 2. I have never heard a Moondrop product before but the brand’s reputation is solid for delivering value.

What I look for in earphones?
Broadly speaking, I look for two things: One- the illusion of being there. I look for earphones that make it easy for me to imagine I’m experiencing the music live and in person. Two, I look for a euphonic sound that tickles my pleasure center. I’m not so much looking for neutrality and accuracy as a vivid and engaging sonic picture in my head.

What am I Comparing it to?
My Etymotic EVO and FIIO FH7, both on the HIBY. To keep some perspective, I also compared it to my LCD-X and ZMF Verite Closed through my big rig as well. The FIIO and and Ety were on SE cables, the Moondrop used the 4.4mm balanced.

Testing Method:
My evaluation method was as follows: I listened exclusively to the Variations for a while. Then I listened to my other IEMs / headphone for a while and made note of the differences. After that I put together a list of some of my favorite music for the week and periodically switched between headphones as I played passages over and over to verify my impressions.

Initial Impression:
The small silicone tips were the most comfortable but didn’t provide an adequate seal so I used the medium silicone tips for all my testing. In a perfect world, Moondrop would have included a medium small but no such luck. Good isolation. Not as isolating as the deep insertion Ety but similar to the FIIO. It’s not isolating enough (IMHO) to compete with the Ety or noise canceling eims in a high noise environment but totally fine for moderate noise environments up to 50 dB or so. Cable microphonics are nonexistent. Treble is outstanding, sounding crisp with no signs of glare or grit- the most natural treble signature I’ve heard in an IEM with high hats, cimbals and snares sounding extremely realistic, though a little emphasized. Bass is elevated tastefully and well controlled. In terms of sensitivity, it’s noticeably less efficient than the FIIO but comparable to to the Ety. That said, still not particularly power hungry so probably ok with a smartphone (though I didn’t test). Very dynamic and fast.

When compared to other IEMs:

FIIO FH7:
The Variations are a little less V shaped in sound profile, having a fuller midrange, though the FIIOs come with a variety of ways to shift the frequency response so YMMV. The Variations treble lacks the slight BA grittiness of the FH7 and in my opinion is more natural sounding. I find the Variations more euphonic (sonically rich and non fatiguing) probably thanks to the outstanding treble delivered by the Variations. It’s very close in terms of bass with a slight edge going to the Variations- up until you have a bass heavy track- then the Variations suddenly project bass you can taste. I’d also put the Variations ahead in terms of dynamics, detail and clarity, but it’s not dramatic. The Variations sound faster, probably thanks to the Sonion electrostatic drivers. Staging is good in both with a clear edge going to the Variations which create a very clear sonic image. The Variations positions the listener a little further away than the FH7. The FH7 is more comfortable thanks to a smaller nozzle diameter, though both are good enough for multiple hours of wear. Overall, the Variations sound better, but both sound good and the FH7 is a little more comfortable. The FH7 isn’t as isolating as the Variations, but the difference is small.

Etymotic EVO:
The Etymotic EVO uses 3 BA drivers, two for bass. While the sound is very detailed and fast with excellent imaging, the only way it beats the Variations is isolation. It’s just not in the same league in terms of comfort, dynamics or quality of treble. It’s got the usual BA grit and lack of slam, and while isolating enough to use in 80-90 dB environments, it’s not comfortable for me to wear more than an hour (a complaint I have with all deep insertion IEMs). That said, the EVO sound profile is pretty neutral, highly detailed, euphonic and a pleasure to listen to, even in very noisy environments such as machine shops, small single engine airplanes and subways.

Ranking all 3:

Euphonic : By this, I mean engaging with a sense of sonic richness, non fatiguing.

Variations>FH7 > EVO

Slam: The ability to deliver wide dynamic range and reproduce big changes in loudness without compression. It’s the thump of a kick or kettle drum, the firing of cannons or the crunch of a car crash.

Variations=FH7 >> EVO

Clarity: An absence of haziness. Each instrument or voice occupies its own space and is easily perceived.

Variations>FH7 > EVO

Microdynamics: Tiny gradations in volume. It’s the lingering echo of a note or the breathing of a flutist in the background. .

Variations = FH7 = EVO

Detail: Macro Detail I define as being able easily hear each sound in the mix, which is different from micro detail which adds color, texture and subtlety.

Macro detail:
Variations = FH7 = EVO
Micro detail:
Variations > EVO > FH7

Soundstage: soundstage to me is the perception of separation from the musicians, both in terms of horizontal spread and perceived distance.

Variations: Very wide with listener placed 5-10 ft from music
FH7:very wide with listener placed 0 feet from music.
EVO is on the narrow side with listener placed about 20-25 feet from music.

Imaging: Imaging is being able to locate instruments, musicians, walls and possibly audience members in space when you close your eyes. Ideally, it leads to a suspension of disbelief and you feel like you are in the audience

Variations > EVO > FH7

Speed / Attack: How fast does the driver get moving and start making sound.

Variations > FH7 > EVO

Decay: How damped is the sound? Does it ring or drop off quickly.

Variations = FH7 = EVO

In Summary:
Fantastic earphones for sure and definitely keepers. I didn’t notice any significant weaknesses other than maybe isolation (if you want that) and a sound profile that isn’t that neutral. These are just a blast to listen to and perform well above any other IEM I’ve heard, competing quite effectively with my much more expensive and hard to drive full size headphones. I can listen to them all day long and not miss my big cans and tube amp- something that’s new for me. That makes them my new go-to at work and when traveling. The EVOs still have a place when I’m in high noise environments like airplanes and machine shops and want to enjoy music, but there’s really no scenario where I would prefer the FH7s.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2024 at 10:36 PM Post #11,912 of 11,979
Update- tried the Variations with my Folkvanger tube amp. It’s not probably not the safest thing to do with IEMs given it’s a 10 tube monster with no transformer and no capacitors on the output, but I have to say it sounds pretty awesome. Speaks to how capable the Variations are.

Mar 24, 2024 at 4:35 AM Post #11,915 of 11,979
The Moondrop Variations is eye opening good. Best IEM I’ve heard and impressed by the ES performance. Also, I don’t know much about IEMs..
Yes, still an amazingly competent IEM even though it's almost 3 years old and not in the kilobuck range. The stock cable is awful though and I replaced it with a very nice 3rd party custom one a shop on Aliexpress made for me, only around $40. Actually I have 2 colours, one bronze, close to how the original cable is and one greenish-blue which looks pretty damn fantastic.

Mar 24, 2024 at 5:53 PM Post #11,916 of 11,979
Hi all! I would like to share my comparisons featuring the Moondrop KATO which I have written and published on The Headphoneer during the recent weeks.

Hope some of you find the articles interesting :)

Moondrop KATO vs SIMGOT EM6L
https://www.headphoneer.com/simgot-em6l-vs-moondrop-kato-comparison-review/

Moondrop KATO vs SIMGOT EA1000
https://www.headphoneer.com/moondrop-kato-vs-simgot-ea1000-comparison-review/

Moondrop KATO vs SENNHEISER IE200
https://www.headphoneer.com/sennheiser-ie200-vs-moondrop-kato-comparison-review/

Moondrop KATO vs KIWI EARS QUINTET
https://www.headphoneer.com/kiwi-ears-quintet-vs-moondrop-kato-comparison-review/

Moondrop KATO vs KIWI EARS ORCHESTRA LITE
https://www.headphoneer.com/kiwi-ears-orchestra-lite-vs-moondrop-kato-comparison-review/

Finally, my dedicated Moondrop Kato Review:
https://www.headphoneer.com/moondrop-kato-review/

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2024 at 5:15 AM Post #11,922 of 11,979
I’ll definitely be buying it, but I’ll wait til it’s officially released/ available.

If you scroll down on that page, you’ll see it says it’s in pre-order until 15 April.

IMG_2895.jpeg

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2024 at 9:54 AM Post #11,924 of 11,979
gonna wait for reviews, my blessing 2 were a build quality nightmare. cap came off, fell off the cables, the 2 pin connector is broken.
Hmm, do you think stuff like that will come forth in reviews? Friend warned me of the faceplates on Moondrop products so I plan to sit it out a bit too. But I'm thinking most of this will take some time to be found out, right?

Apr 1, 2024 at 10:04 AM Post #11,925 of 11,979
Hmm, do you think stuff like that will come forth in reviews? Friend warned me of the faceplates on Moondrop products so I plan to sit it out a bit too. But I'm thinking most of this will take some time to be found out, right?
You get the odd qc issue with iem’s from any brands. These will be isolated incidences.

I had the variations for a few months (purchased new towards the end of last year) and they never had any issues. They were solidly/ well built.

Users who are viewing this thread

• XTF1
Back