Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Jan 8, 2024 at 7:34 AM Post #11,881 of 11,979
I didnt expect anything from May. But it sounds beautiful for my ears. Solid bass, clear mids, good treble. App is working very unstable on my phone, not every time i can add May in list of devices, but if i do it keep asking permission to access May every time i change tuning, so i left it at standard one and will never touch again. Also i really like box and the case, cable is awesome imo, i would love to buy same cable but with 3.5 jack for Variations.

edit: Stock tips are a joke, i cant even attach it.
edit 2: i can hear strange sounds from dsp when i pause the song (not every time tho), switching between songs is okay at least in spotify. On my hidisz ap80 pro x i havent faced this problem yet(also be careful with loudness if plugging it into DAPs, it can be very loud. For example i listen to Variations at 30/100 at low gain, May is okay at 7/100 with usb c cable).
edit 3: i found the same 3.5 cable with mic on AliExpress moondrop store.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2024 at 3:11 PM Post #11,882 of 11,979
I didnt expect anything from May. But it sounds beautiful for my ears. Solid bass, clear mids, good treble. App is working very unstable on my phone, not every time i can add May in list of devices, but if i do it keep asking permission to access May every time i change tuning, so i left it at standard one and will never touch again. Also i really like box and the case, cable is awesome imo, i would love to buy same cable but with 3.5 jack for Variations.
I bought the Free DSP cable recently to use with the Chu 2 and I have the same experience as you. Sometimes it just won't work with the app but thankfully once the settings are saved there is no issue.

Feb 13, 2024 at 11:01 AM Post #11,888 of 11,979
I have the May and overall I think they are a great IEM, but I feel that they should release them without the cable. Although I thought they sounded really good on the cable, they sound a LOT better on a more power DAC. The bass and mids are amazing, and the treble is pretty good. My only true nitpick on the sound is the treble has a slight graininess to it. It's not super noticeable, but at times especially with particularly high pitched female vocals, they sound a little coarse. Overall I think they sound amazing though, and they missed the ball by releasing these with the DAC cable without fixing the app. Moondrop if you read this, release a version without the cable, there is a great IEM sitting behind an OK cable and poor app.

Feb 13, 2024 at 11:15 AM Post #11,889 of 11,979
I have the May and overall I think they are a great IEM, but I feel that they should release them without the cable. Although I thought they sounded really good on the cable, they sound a LOT better on a more power DAC. The bass and mids are amazing, and the treble is pretty good. My only true nitpick on the sound is the treble has a slight graininess to it. It's not super noticeable, but at times especially with particularly high pitched female vocals, they sound a little coarse. Overall I think they sound amazing though, and they missed the ball by releasing these with the DAC cable without fixing the app. Moondrop if you read this, release a version without the cable, there is a great IEM sitting behind an OK cable and poor app.
The app is absolutely pure garbage. I picked the tuning I liked and then uninstalled it because the amount of permissions it needs is worrying. I haven't noticed that graininess, but other than that I completely agree with your impressions.

I get wanting them with a standard cable, and I'd be shocked if they didn't do that down the line, but I can also see their goal of using the DSP as a way to differentiate the May(even though I genuinely think the May is being slept on as one of their best IEMs in a while regardless of the cable...)

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2024 at 11:33 AM Post #11,890 of 11,979
The app is absolutely pure garbage. I picked the tuning I liked and then uninstalled it because the amount of permissions it needs is worrying. I haven't noticed that graininess, but other than that I completely agree with your impressions.

I get wanting them with a standard cable, and I'd be shocked if they didn't do that down the line, but I can also see their goal of using the DSP as a way to differentiate the May(even though I genuinely think the May is being slept on as one of their best IEMs in a while regardless of the cable...)
The graininess is definitely a nitpick, I generally like the treble, but when I go from my FUDU to the May I notice it a bit, even going from the Sonus back to the May I notice it. If I stop thinking about it it goes away.

I get that the cable makes them unique, but I believe they would not be as slept on if they at least offered them with and without the cable from the jump. And the app............LOL.

Feb 14, 2024 at 4:17 PM Post #11,891 of 11,979
I’m impressed with Moondrop Chaconne!
8AC6D14C-D80E-4DDA-B4FB-C33F30096E20.jpeg

Feb 17, 2024 at 6:47 PM Post #11,895 of 11,979

edit: Stock tips are a joke, i cant even attach it.
edit 2: i can hear strange sounds from dsp when i pause the song (not every time tho), switching between songs is okay at least in spotify. On my hidisz ap80 pro x i havent faced this problem yet(also be careful with loudness if plugging it into DAPs, it can be very loud. For example i listen to Variations at 30/100 at low gain, May is okay at 7/100 with usb c cable).
edit 3: i found the same 3.5 cable with mic on AliExpress moondrop store.
I'm absolutely blown away by the May.

I got them brand new on eBay for £57 with a 10% off ebay promo on one of the stores.

These are absolutely absurd for the price. For reference I have some very good high end iEMs in the Dorada (£1100), and have owned quite a few high end sets (Xelento, Andromeda, Solaris), so I've been spoiled a bit and these sound bloody good, and i don't actively miss my other sets while using them, which is a good sign. They're very intimate, but the timbre and cohesiveness of the sound is superb.

That's how I'd describe may, cohesive and beautiful. Most people getting into IEMs should start here.

I'm considering on making a video about these vs the Airpods Pro 2. Because the APP in general have lulled us into this idea that you absolutely must have a tws to live life, with ANC too. But using the May with USB-C, which plugs into the iPhone, Macbook, etc, I am actually finding them more convenient in some ways than my APP. Occassionally APP messes up it's connection. Or switches to another device when I don't want it to. Or needs charging. Or wasn't on the charging pad.

And all things considered, May sounds better than APP2. It's a wired iEM, cleaner, less digitised and overall just a better sound top to bottom I believe. It has so much more weightiness than APP2.

So for many people attached to tws I'd advise them, see what it's like living without APP2 and with May. You might find you're actually not missing anything, and gaining quite a lot, along with almost $200 in the pocket to boot.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back