Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Feb 25, 2023 at 7:51 AM Post #11,611 of 11,980
@AmericanSpirit Since you are probably the greatest living authority on everything Moondrop, do you happen to know the name of the clear tips that came with the Stellaris?

I feel like I'm the only person on the planet who actually like the Stellaris and those clear tips are essential to my enjoyment. I want to source some more of them or something like them.

Feb 25, 2023 at 9:04 AM Post #11,612 of 11,980
@AmericanSpirit Since you are probably the greatest living authority on everything Moondrop, do you happen to know the name of the clear tips that came with the Stellaris?

I feel like I'm the only person on the planet who actually like the Stellaris and those clear tips are essential to my enjoyment. I want to source some more of them or something like them.
Softears Ultra Clear: https://shenzhenaudio.com/products/softears-uc-eartips-ultra-clear-tips-for-earphones

Feb 25, 2023 at 9:43 AM Post #11,613 of 11,980

It’s called Softwars UC tips👍 One of my favorite.
Everything has their own taste, if you love Stellaris’s signature, that’s your spot 😄👍

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2023 at 11:56 AM Post #11,616 of 11,980
If you can deep fit em, they work a hell of a lot better. I cannot.
Yes, I have tried that with Spinfit double flange tips but it was too painful for extended sessions. The effect on the sound was remarkable though, in a positive way. They sounded fuller with more bass.

Feb 25, 2023 at 3:49 PM Post #11,617 of 11,980
@MrManson85 start with the current ~20 usd best buys like Chu, 7Hz Zero, Wan'er or Hola imo, and work your way up according to your preferences. The squig databases of measurements are very helpful to narrow down to IEMs that match your tonality taste.

Example
https://timmyv.squig.link/?share=Timmy_Target,7Hz_Zero,Truthears_Hola,Moondrop_Chu,Tangzu_Waner

index.php

Feb 26, 2023 at 7:44 PM Post #11,618 of 11,980
I'd like to ask a question for those that have (or at least heard) both the Blesseing 2: Dusk and the Variations.
Is the upgrade from Dusk to Variations a significant one? Is it noticeable?

I ask because even though I like the Dusk (it's easy to like it) but after trying a bunch of cheaper stuff I suspect I'm much more of a mid forward person, specially upper mids. I do like my female vocals forward and my treble.
By what I gathered while the bass of the Variations is certainly present, it seems better done than the Dusk and it has a more mid forward presentation.

Feb 27, 2023 at 7:43 AM Post #11,619 of 11,980
I'd like to ask a question for those that have (or at least heard) both the Blesseing 2: Dusk and the Variations.
Is the upgrade from Dusk to Variations a significant one? Is it noticeable?

I ask because even though I like the Dusk (it's easy to like it) but after trying a bunch of cheaper stuff I suspect I'm much more of a mid forward person, specially upper mids. I do like my female vocals forward and my treble.
By what I gathered while the bass of the Variations is certainly present, it seems better done than the Dusk and it has a more mid forward presentation.
I have had the B2 but also listened to it with PEQ settings that emulate the Dusk tuning.
The main issue I was having with the B2 was that they could sound grainy in the upper midrange/treble region, the second issue was a lack of definition in bass.

The Variations is cleaner and more detailed, has better layering, and a little better bass texture, so it solves the technical issues of the B2 IMO.
Additionally it has a stronger separation between upper midrange and sub bass, or in other words it's recessed in the lower midrange/upper bass regions.
If you like forward female vocals that tuning works quite well, for example with K-Pop.
It does not work that well with male vocals or music that relies on upper bass and lower midrange.

I would also say that in order for an upgrade to make sense, your source quality also needs to be good enough, i.e. at least an upper class phone dongle or a midrange DAP or DAC.

Hope that helps

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2023 at 11:13 AM Post #11,620 of 11,980
If you like forward female vocals that tuning works quite well, for example with K-Pop.
I think that was all I needed to hear, thank you!

I'm already saving this year to get an endgame (hopefully) IEM and looking at dates for sales, there might be one coming by the end of this month, so I'll probably get the Variations then.

Mar 2, 2023 at 12:09 PM Post #11,621 of 11,980
I think that was all I needed to hear, thank you!

I'm already saving this year to get an endgame (hopefully) IEM and looking at dates for sales, there might be one coming by the end of this month, so I'll probably get the Variations then.
If I was you, I’d get Sound Rhyme SR5 for $139.

It’s an extremely high performing IEM that I’ve happened to encountered as a part of my curiosity based odd-ball discovery.

I was so shocked and decided to open a dedicated thread for Sound Rhyme.

Here is direct A-B test among top contenders that includes Blessing 2 and Variations
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-discovery-thread.586909/post-17412148

I hyped SR5 too much to an extent someone questioned that If I’m affiliated with them😂 No it’s my pure personal purchase out of hobby budget.

Mar 2, 2023 at 2:36 PM Post #11,622 of 11,980
first-time listening to the Blessing 2...initial thoughts: damn, these are huge. i have small, flat ears...but, with the smallest tips they actually fit quite well. they stick out a bit, but the isolation is really good and it doesn't hurt. they're easy to put in and take out (take a lesson, sennheiser!). cord is manageable.

compared to past IEMs i've used these require a bit more power - used it out of an ibasso dc06, the mojo2, and an audio-gd 10.32. all drove it easily, but at higher volume levels than other IEMs.

particularly pleased with midrange - female vocals sound great. i don't know if it's as resolving as, say, the ER4S original, but it's much more "musical"...yes, i know that's a subjective term. basically, it's enjoyable to listen to, which is all that really matters to me. will throw these in my bag for everyday listening, so pleased with it so far. i guess i'll pick up some spinfits...

Mar 3, 2023 at 4:22 AM Post #11,623 of 11,980
If I was you, I’d get Sound Rhyme SR5 for $139.

It’s an extremely high performing IEM that I’ve happened to encountered as a part of my curiosity based odd-ball discovery.

I was so shocked and decided to open a dedicated thread for Sound Rhyme.

Here is direct A-B test among top contenders that includes Blessing 2 and Variations
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-discovery-thread.586909/post-17412148

I hyped SR5 too much to an extent someone questioned that If I’m affiliated with them😂 No it’s my pure personal purchase out of hobby budget.

I read your impressions and comparisons and I have to admit I'm at the very least intrigued. I added them to my AliExpress shopping cart, especially after finding the link someone shared for its better price point. I'll still have to get the Variations first because after so many recommendations I'll be dying of curiosity if I don't and also because I have some other IEMs in its price range like the Kato and S12 Pro but who knows, maybe I'll take the plunge before expected.
Thanks for the recommendation!

Mar 5, 2023 at 5:06 AM Post #11,624 of 11,980
I wanted the shiny blue one but this was on offer last week. Didn't know it had a diamond finish on the inside. Veeeery pretty!

DSC02032_2 (2) (1).jpg

Mar 11, 2023 at 11:11 AM Post #11,625 of 11,980
@AmericanSpirit thanks for the Moondrop summary in the previous page, I was out of the loop for a few years and I'm still a starter audiophile, but seems interesting to try out the Chu, Quarks DSP and HOLA as a blind buy. It's interesting reading your posts about western vs eastern music listeners which doesn't seem to be tackled by others and from your HEXA opinion it seems a great buy aswell.
I exclusively listen to J-pop and I seem to like the harman target (Galaxy Buds, which I love) and before that I enjoyed the Tin T2 because its kinda warm and has more fuller vocals signature (using MandarinEs Symbio W eartips).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back