Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
May 5, 2022 at 1:13 AM Post #11,116 of 11,979
I just got the Moondrop Chu in and it sounds good (great for the money) . . .

--RANT--
But the cable is horrible and the weird ear hooks just add to the misery because they don't do enough against the cable shape, but at least render them usable. The attached cable is negative value: it would have been better if shipped with a 2-pin connector and no cable. Maybe they included the Spring Tips because other tips wouldn't hold in place with the cable. The IEM is light and comfortable, but the cable spoils the seating. Speaker wire does not make a good IEM cable. I can immediately see why there would be wire mods so soon, both a complement and insult to the quality of the Chu in that it is actually worth modding. Instead of detachable cables, it comes with a small pouch that some might mistake as being intended to store the Chu in, but it is actually a minimalist wallet (am I being sarcastic, I don't even know anymore).
--END RANT--

The Chu nails mid range, but the treble is lacking polish and detail of a better driver, and the bass is generally lacking in impact but is still present when called upon. The tuning puts the best foot forward and is ultimately a good listening experience that somehow makes cheap crap sound like polished coprolite.

The sound isn't as thick and immersive as I would like. Good imaging and sound stage that easily beats the CRA. The Chu sounds open and lovely for isolating so well. Vocals shine forward in the mix, but there is a slight artificial crispiness to them. The Chu is a good introduction to Moondrop house sound.

If it had a good cable--or no cable--then it would be worth double (on the merits of tuning and metal shells).

Over 20 years ago, I spent $40 on some garbage earbuds that were worse than the buds that came with my disc player; had I spent $40 on the Chu back then, I would have been floored by how awesome they sound.

Last edited:
May 8, 2022 at 6:13 PM Post #11,118 of 11,979
I have had seen mod for chu for detachable cable but I was wondering about something les invasive like cable mod for balanced jack. Maybe there is some sort crossing inside Y splitter or there are grounds putted together inside TRS jack. Any clue?

May 9, 2022 at 11:34 AM Post #11,120 of 11,979
Anyone have a link to the Chu 2 pin mod?
https://www.carousell.sg/p/chu-removable-cable-mod-moondrop-iem-earphone-mod-1156667251/

1652110392406.png

It doesn't looks complicated. Question is what glue use to put them back together

May 10, 2022 at 2:09 AM Post #11,121 of 11,979
I think superglue AKA cyanoacrylate glue is pretty common (might need to use a toothpick to apply).
A two part epoxy curing adhesive and that IEM is never coming apart again.

Last edited:
May 11, 2022 at 8:09 AM Post #11,126 of 11,979
Got my Chu yesterday and today I am having my first listen with the Meizu dongle driving them. Tuning is indeed very, veeeery good. Clarity and resolution are also very good for this pairing, excellent 45 usd combo. I am happy and highly recommend both!

IMG_20220511_114436.jpg

Last edited:
May 11, 2022 at 2:24 PM Post #11,127 of 11,979
I was thinking about that kind of glue that is used for screens in cellphones
B-7000 epoxy resin adhesive seems like a good choice. The solvents used are odorous, so a well vented area is a must. It is recommended to wear nitrile gloves. Completely cures after about 24 to 48 hours. Once cured, should be completely safe.

May 13, 2022 at 6:10 AM Post #11,129 of 11,979
May 13, 2022 at 11:53 AM Post #11,130 of 11,979
Does anyone know if the Variations still have the socket cracking issue? I'm really interested in buying them but I'm not too sure if I want to have a 500$ IEM crack on me...
I have one of mine cracked pretty badly and even yanked the cable out from the IEM (still working tho). It happened when I paired the Variations to Fiio UTWS5 0.78mm 2pin model. I think the material of the socket is really prone to cracking unless Moondrop change the material completely, it will be the same result. I have two Variations and my other one is still fine, so to prevent the cracking, I don't change cable too often and using a thinner 0.75mm 2pin connector.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back