Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
May 20, 2022 at 5:26 PM Post #11,147 of 11,979
quarks- sounds good, kinda ugly imo
Chu- sounds amazing, plus you get spring tips!
Aria- sounds good, but might be outdated already
Starfield- sounds good, but mostly paying more for the looks over the Aria imo
Kato- sounds good, better than Starfield/Aria but also paying more for looks

May 22, 2022 at 10:40 AM Post #11,148 of 11,979
what is the best cable for variations. more airy, imaging more great, micro details more better too, mid bass more punch so note weight more thick in lower mid and male vocals ..

any recomendation cable and eartips ??

Last edited:
May 22, 2022 at 10:47 AM Post #11,149 of 11,979
what is the best cable for variations. more airy, imaging more great, micro details more better too, mid bass more punch so note weight more thick in lower mid and male vocals ..

I'm not much of a cable roller but the Thieaudio EST cable is a really nice improvement in sound and durability over the stock Moondrop cables. I used it on both the Variations and S8. The S8 remains my favorite IEM.

And with my small ear canals I find the stock Moondrop tips to be best. They have such thin inner walls they work best since the Moondrop nozzles are pretty thick. You have the clean them with soap and water regularly otherwise they slide off though.

May 22, 2022 at 11:52 AM Post #11,150 of 11,979

Try the Dunu cables. Duw02s or duw03

May 22, 2022 at 3:16 PM Post #11,151 of 11,979
I just got a pair of Katos a few days ago. I have quite a few over-ear headphones, but these are my first IEMs (apart from freebies that come with phones).

Comfort is decent and I have no problem wearing these for hours, but I had to bend the ear-hooks to a more fitting shape.

The spring tips are a little weird for me personally, but maybe I'm just not used to them. They feel a bit flimsy and sometimes the IEMs get dislodged if I talk, chew or smile. I get a much more secure fit and seal with the foam tips, but they do alter the sound slightly. Also, the foam tips provide much better isolation than the spring tips. I have some Azla tips on the way too, so I'm curious how those will compare.

Tuning-wise these are well balanced, and to me they have a pretty inoffensive warm-neutral sound. I feel like the treble (especially the extension) is a bit on the dark side, kind of like an HD650. This could probably be altered by different tips or insertion depths though, but that's how I hear them at least.

For technicalities I can't compare these other IEMs (never had any), but based on my experience with over-ear headphones like the HD580, HD650 or Sundara, I would say these slightly lack in resolution as well as macro-contrast, but it could be unfair to expect IEMs to match over-ear headphones in those regards. On the upside, the Katos have a satisfying sense of tactility around transients while remaining fatigue-free at the same time. The soundstage doesn't impress with width, but it more than makes up for it with decent depth / three-dimensionality, and very good image separation and placement.

While I have a few nitpicks, overall I'm pretty happy with these. I also have a pair of Chus on the way, so I'm looking forward to comparing those.

Last edited:
May 22, 2022 at 7:15 PM Post #11,152 of 11,979
I'm not much of a cable roller but the Thieaudio EST cable is a really nice improvement in sound and durability over the stock Moondrop cables. I used it on both the Variations and S8. The S8 remains my favorite IEM.

And with my small ear canals I find the stock Moondrop tips to be best. They have such thin inner walls they work best since the Moondrop nozzles are pretty thick. You have the clean them with soap and water regularly otherwise they slide off though.
btw, est cable can add weight note in lower mid? means more thick...

ever try and compare with cable tripowin nucool? (21 core OFC + 28 core SPC)..

Which is the BEST cabel for my VARIATIONS , ???
for upgrade :

more airy,
imaging more great,
micro details more better too,
mid bass more punch so note weight more thick in lower mid and male vocals .

thanks before.

and what best eartips you used...?

many thanks for answer all....

May 22, 2022 at 7:19 PM Post #11,153 of 11,979
Try the Dunu cables. Duw02s or duw03
thanks so much for yr advice. but my budget cable max 125 usd below... any recomendation for :

for upgrade :

more airy,
imaging more great,

ever try and compare with cable tripowin nucool? (21 core OFC + 28 core SPC).
how do you think bout this cable if ever try. thanks before for all answwer

May 22, 2022 at 9:16 PM Post #11,154 of 11,979
Comparison of my current Moondrop IEMs:

Moondrop Chu - Amazing default tuning, though I use @crinacle 's PEQ from ASR to get the best sub-bass performance, together with EP-NI1000L ear tips
Moondrop x Crinacle Blessing 2 Dusk - The best default tuning, I don't use EQ at all! I currently use it together with modified CCA BTX Bluetooth ear hook modules for that AptX Adaptive goodness
Moondrop Variations - Better bass and highs than the Dusk, but I notice the lower mids recession on some tracks. Still an excellent IEM!

May 22, 2022 at 10:22 PM Post #11,155 of 11,979
I read a lot of comments and it seems that we have different headphones, and most of them get a disgusting sound and some have an excellent copy :D

Many reviewers and my friends say, and I myself will confirm that in Chu there is practically no weak sub-bass(and weak bass overall) and the highs are quite short, ok ok, mids are very good. This is a failure of the MoonDrop, unfortunately.
For ex TinHifi t1s more detailed, more airly and good deeper bass.

Last edited:
May 23, 2022 at 2:48 AM Post #11,156 of 11,979
btw, est cable can add weight note in lower mid? means more thick...
and what best eartips you used...?
I have had the Variations for like 10 months now and it's been a little bit of a struggle, but a worthwhile one.

1. I also feel that they could really use a thicker midrange and coming from my other headphones and IEMs they sound thin.
  2. Comfort has been a challenge for me as well, the thick nozzle tends to hurt my ear canals.
  3. The cable is not bad but still holding back the Variations a bit.
1: midrange
I didn't have much success getting a thicker midrange with cables and tip rolling, but I noticed that the Variations sounds somewhat more balanced with the $8 Apple dongle compared to my CHORD Hugo2Go which has higly defined and extended bass. The weaker dongle seems to reduce and soften the bass which is an advantage in this case.

2. Comfort
I tried many different tips and ended up with the Moondrop Spring tips. But I think which tip fits you really depends on your ear canal shape.

3. Cable:
I tried 2 cables from CEEMA cables (Aliexpress), the MS cable and the PS cable from thier line. Both increased clarity, detail and definition, the PS more so than the MS (it is also about double the price). The MS seemed to be a good compromise because it is a bit smoother maybe slightly warmer.

Bottomline:
I am now using the Variations mostly on the go with the Apple dongle, this way the dip in the lower midrange is less obvious and the emphasis on sub bass and upper midrange works well for walking or biking IMO

May 23, 2022 at 4:45 AM Post #11,157 of 11,979
i want for upgrade my Moondrop Variations :

more airy,
imaging more great,

which 1 of cable and eartips you choose if the option this :

cable :

tripowin Nucool (hybrid OFC + SPC),
tripowin altea (OCC 5n pure single crystal copper),
thieaudio est (spc)
Xinhs graphene (4 core spc).
Liquid Links CONTI (7N OCC),
kinera Leyding (5n SPC + OFC),
Xinhs Pure Silver,
moondrop autumn occ,
melody studio mirror (SPC)

eartips :

stock tips,
softear UC,
azla sedna Crystal,
cp 145,
kz starline reverse,
jvc ++

what is the best / closest to above i want,, pairing do you reccomend for me, from these each tips and each cable above ?

can give another tips. but cable just that. because only sale in my local market place.

???

thanks for all advice me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back