Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Dec 16, 2021 at 2:19 PM Post #10,741 of 11,979
I just received the Kato. The shell is sitting comfortably in my ears. But the only problem is the cable with its metal parts are weighing on the upper part of my ear which is causing some discomfort. Does anybody know a solution to this. Can we attach a clip to the cable and hook it to the shirt or something?
One solution could be a different cable. You could get a quality one for cheap, and wanted to get a balanced cable as well, right?

A standard 2-pin to 2.5mm balanced cable should fit the Kato.

Do you want some recommendations?

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2021 at 11:51 PM Post #10,743 of 11,979
I just received Nekocake!

Size comparison with AirPodsPro:
F5B40FB1-F5A9-4EAD-A867-C9BBB82F3B9A.jpeg
43671127-34EC-4A68-85C5-9EDFC0E64C6A.jpeg

Initial impression:
-SQ Not far from Sparks, and the balance is refined IMO. Sparks had rolled off treble, of which is somehow refined on Nekocake

-Not too far from Apple’s AirPodsPro on resolution too, but APP has better diffusion field articulation l, Nekocake/Sparks is not far too

-The Moondrop LINK let users to custom tap functionalities which is a HUGE plus. Becuase the default setting basically crippled the TWS, when you accidentally touch the stem, it pause/play the music. Or side sleeping is basically impossible, however if you redefine play/pause as “double tap” this usability issue will be gone.

DFFF04AE-4F5A-4626-A130-7FA482DD6E4C.png

rthe LINK app has preset EQs, of which it’s mostly self explanatory except the last “Wennebostel” one. Which, to my ear it sounded like “Sennheiser veil” HD650 mod. You get good chunk of warm bass floor and inoffensive/pleasant Senn style tonality

31870376-50D2-4329-B8EC-B992B57FF9B9.png

Overall, I feel Nekocake is a good cheaper alternatives to AirPodsPro, the ANC isn’t anywhere near APP level, but it’s the thing that works, it cuts off the noise floor, a bit turn down is that it somehow trades some 4-5k clarity to ANC. But yes the 42USD price tag is justifiable over those compensations.

Tonality: Moondrop house curve with further vocal emphasis
Technicalities: just regular single DD, nothing short.

It’s a good buy except unless AKG winter holiday sales for N400 at $47.99 keeps permanently which is unlikely.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2021 at 12:45 AM Post #10,744 of 11,979
I just received the Kato. The shell is sitting comfortably in my ears. But the only problem is the cable with its metal parts are weighing on the upper part of my ear which is causing some discomfort. Does anybody know a solution to this. Can we attach a clip to the cable and hook it to the shirt or something?
Hmm. The cable on my KATO doesn't have any metal going over / around my ear -- if is a soft sheath around the white / silver cable, pre-formed to bend but flexible. Maybe you could post a pic pointing what you address referring to??

Dec 17, 2021 at 2:49 AM Post #10,745 of 11,979
Hmm. The cable on my KATO doesn't have any metal going over / around my ear -- if is a soft sheath around the white / silver cable, pre-formed to bend but flexible. Maybe you could post a pic pointing what you address referring to??
No, it is the same cable and there is no metal going over the ear. But since the cable is going over the ear, the metal part and the entire cable is weighing on it. I guess it could be because I am use to very light cables in the past. I will just use a earphone clip to hook the cable to my shirt. Hopefully that will fix the problem.

Dec 17, 2021 at 10:25 PM Post #10,747 of 11,979
Is there a new Moondrop Spaceship?
"Moondrop Spaceship with new "anti imbalance" filter"
This start to pops out in local online store as i browse for Quarks for chirstmas gift.

1639796238140.png
Oh well, it’s just the version with filters updated after we received considerable amounts of complaint for channel imbalance.

The actual sound is the same.

Moondrop Stay updated on Moondrop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.moondroplab.com
Dec 17, 2021 at 10:57 PM Post #10,748 of 11,979
No, it is the same cable and there is no metal going over the ear. But since the cable is going over the ear, the metal part and the entire cable is weighing on it. I guess it could be because I am use to very light cables in the past. I will just use a earphone clip to hook the cable to my shirt. Hopefully that will fix the problem.
Ah, gotcha, yeah the KATO cable is fairly hefty and really should come with a shirt clip. The cable on the Ikko OH10 is very light weight and feels a little fragile. I'm waiting on a replacement cable with phone controls, and hope it is more substantial than the OH10 stock cable.

Dec 19, 2021 at 11:25 PM Post #10,749 of 11,979
Dec 20, 2021 at 1:31 AM Post #10,750 of 11,979
i just purchased the KATO as a self gift for my birthday, and noticed that the molding on my unit kinda inconsistent, the left IEM shell is smooth like the KXXS meanwhile the right one have more pronounced 3D geometric(?) lines, i also have sent an email to @MOONDROP support asking is this normal or is this some kind of defect that can be replaced under warranty, apart from the IEM shell, really liking the sound a lot

kato.jpg

KATO 1.jpg
edit : anyone else have glossy KATO ver. and can confirm on this?

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2021 at 5:46 AM Post #10,752 of 11,979
Has anyone by chance compared the KATO to the Final A8000?

The A8000 is much harder to drive and has better transients and technicalities than the KATO.

However, the A8000 has a jarring peak around the 5 - 6 khz region which is fatiguing. The KATO has a thicker and lusher note weight and tonally I much prefer the KATO, as it is less fatiguing and smoother. KATO has a tuning nozzle to give a slightly different flavour too.

Dec 20, 2021 at 8:54 AM Post #10,753 of 11,979
i just purchased the KATO as a self gift for my birthday, and noticed that the molding on my unit kinda inconsistent, the left IEM shell is smooth like the KXXS meanwhile the right one have more pronounced 3D geometric(?) lines, i also have sent an email to @MOONDROP support asking is this normal or is this some kind of defect that can be replaced under warranty, apart from the IEM shell, really liking the sound a lot

kato.jpg
KATO 1.jpg
edit : anyone else have glossy KATO ver. and can confirm on this?
1640007926205.png

picture credit to VLAYAR

As these shells are handcrafted... some inconsistence in the shell is expected(in fact my set look the same way as yours, even though it was a matte finish)
This difference is normal among KATO units, which makes each set somewhat unique.
Sorry for the confusion it may cause.
1640008269784.jpeg

Moondrop Stay updated on Moondrop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.moondroplab.com
Dec 20, 2021 at 9:44 AM Post #10,754 of 11,979
The A8000 is much harder to drive and has better transients and technicalities than the KATO.

However, the A8000 has a jarring peak around the 5 - 6 khz region which is fatiguing. The KATO has a thicker and lusher note weight and tonally I much prefer the KATO, as it is less fatiguing and smoother. KATO has a tuning nozzle to give a slightly different flavour too.
Interesting - I loved the heavy build of the A8000, and its sound was very coherent/liquid and detailed/precise... but it was too bright. I was hoping the Kato might provide something similar, without paying a premium for the Final brand.

Dec 20, 2021 at 9:55 AM Post #10,755 of 11,979
Interesting - I loved the heavy build of the A8000, and its sound was very coherent/liquid and detailed/precise... but it was too bright. I was hoping the Kato might provide something similar, without paying a premium for the Final brand.

I found the A8000 too bright for me too.

Perhaps a cheaper and baby A8000 (not as bassy though) would be the HZsound Heart Mirror. It is a neutral bright set which is quite analytical and technical. Needs amping though to scale better. It can hit around 70% technical performance of the A8000 for much less coin.

The Tanchjim Oxygen is also quite a technical single DD set, the Oxygen and KATO both have very good timbre and tonality, but the Oxygen has the edge slightly in the technicalities department (soundstage, imaging, instrument separation, and details) and the Oxygen also has more air and treble energy. The KATO on the other hand, has more sub-bass extension, a fuller note weight, and more heft to the music, when compared to the Oxygen.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back