Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Dec 15, 2021 at 8:19 AM Post #10,726 of 11,979
For kato, what is the difference between using a sliver plated copper and a copper cable? Or would it benefit from some other type of cable? Not the very expensive ones though.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2021 at 8:31 AM Post #10,727 of 11,979
For kato, what is the difference between using a sliver plated copper and a copper cable? Or would it benefit from some other type of cable? Not the very expensive ones though.

This question is quite controversial on audio forums. It usually ends in a flamewar!

FWIW, there are 2 camps around when it comes to cables affecting sound. One camp believes that they do change the sound drastically, another camp thinks cables have negligible changes to sound (and can't be measured). I respect both camps, but personally, I won't spend more on a cable than what the IEM costs, and I do think that you get more mileage with sonic changes by using different eartips and/or source, than changing the cable.

Anyways, the Kato's stock cable actually is one of the best cables I've seen and felt. Quite hefty and braided well with minimal microphonics, and I don't think you will need to source for aftermarket cables as such.

Dec 15, 2021 at 10:57 AM Post #10,729 of 11,979
I just bought Kato. I am wondering if I have to buy a new 2.5mm cable to connect with my R3 Saber's balanced output or I can just use a 2.5mm M to 3.5mm F conversion adapter. Does it make a difference?
Yeah, don't do that. Buy a new cable and get a 2.5mm-to-3.5mm adapter for use in situations other than connecting to the R3 Pro.

Dec 15, 2021 at 7:04 PM Post #10,731 of 11,979
Burn-in does not exist. It‘s a purely psychological thing.
I could correctly pick between 2 identical iems 6 out of 6 times blind. Couldn't hear a difference after the new one was played for 200 hours. Doesn't mean it's significant on everything but these strong measurement based opinions are not very useful. I will not discuss further in this thread and enable your diversion.

I believe it's a forum rule, or at least it was, to not debate break-in or resolution audibility outside of the "Sound Science' forum.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2021 at 8:18 PM Post #10,732 of 11,979
Tomorrow I will receive my Variations. Should i install the filters? Does it modify the sound?

Thanks!!
Do you have any experience with similar size like B2? If not then don’t, at least until you find the best eartips for you, the filter is too fragile for eartips rolling

Dec 15, 2021 at 8:21 PM Post #10,733 of 11,979
Tomorrow I will receive my Variations. Should i install the filters? Does it modify the sound?

Thanks!!
I never applied the Filters to my pair, but given I have had my B2 with and without the filter, sound should not change.

Also, like LunarLight Said, I would wait to install the filter until you found your preferred tips. The Filter can come off easily when tip rolling, and they you would need to apply a new one either way.

For Tips, I can recommend SpinFit CP155 and Final E Type Tips among others.

Dec 16, 2021 at 1:30 AM Post #10,735 of 11,979
What is the difference between a QDC and 2 pin cable? Does QDC fit Kato?
If im not wrong moondrop use 2 pin 0.78mm connector usually have square hole or recessed and certain model like S8 flat, while qdc still use same 0.78mm pin but have different design on shell and connector, i don’t think you can use qdc on any moondrop’s iems… maybe

Dec 16, 2021 at 2:44 AM Post #10,736 of 11,979
Moondrop Sparks issue here - before I get mental and throw them in the garbage can. I can get only either the left or the right earbud to play. If I put the one that is trying to pair and flashing red ans white in the case and then take it out again it will start playing and the other one stops and the same then happens with the one that not playing anymore. What stupid little detail am I missing here????? thanx
Try press on the faceplate at the same time inside the battery box to reset both of them at same time…sorry for the confusion.

Burn-in does not exist. It‘s a purely psychological thing.
Well…
Our stance is that they do exist on first several 10hours, and then it get in to a long stable performance. However is never night and day, if you don’t like something in first place you won’t like it after 1k hour burn in.

Some of the tuning materials such like foam filters( those on ex1000 etc.) degrades over time, usually faster than the diaphragm or coil(counterintuitive, but magnets generally never expire unless you put it in strong magnetic field) This accounts for a lot of burn in myth.

Burn in do happen, but never take it seriously.

In general silver plated ones tend to have a boosted mid-high frequency.
But I won’t recommended an upgrade until you are moving to the more expensive side.
Removable cable are introduced to extend the IEM life by changing broken cable, not to play around.

Moondrop Stay updated on Moondrop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.moondroplab.com
Dec 16, 2021 at 3:02 AM Post #10,737 of 11,979
47294000_10209782915168571_2262713793735819264_o.jpg

Good all-rounder, Can be thin sounding for some people, the main star should be the treble and soundstage
or easy explanation, it's direct upgrade from ER4XR in term of soundstage, bass and fitting

i'm using mine with Pure Copper cable
I got them and I think they are contending with much higher price bracket but the nozzle is so big getting a fit is hard so the sound sound even thinner than it already dose making it feel empty

Dec 16, 2021 at 3:05 AM Post #10,738 of 11,979
What is the difference between a QDC and 2 pin cable? Does QDC fit Kato?
If you need short answer, no it doesn’t.

The long answer:
The qdc connectors has a shell around the 2pin, with the socket on the iem popping up a little.(BTW, both ultimate ears and unique melody used to use that connector)
The standard 2pin is like the second picture.

Attachments

• A432D65E-861F-49CE-A264-A6DADDB629C5.jpeg
    A432D65E-861F-49CE-A264-A6DADDB629C5.jpeg
    33.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 66D98E00-4E1B-4DB9-A87C-A52E25096DD4.jpeg
    66D98E00-4E1B-4DB9-A87C-A52E25096DD4.jpeg
    70.7 KB · Views: 0
Moondrop Stay updated on Moondrop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.moondroplab.com
Dec 16, 2021 at 4:52 AM Post #10,739 of 11,979
In general silver plated ones tend to have a boosted mid-high frequency.
But I won’t recommended an upgrade until you are moving to the more expensive side.
Removable cable are introduced to extend the IEM life by changing broken cable, not to play around.
I am not looking to change it to try a different cable. I would like to use the 2.5mm balanced out from my R3 Saber DAP.

Dec 16, 2021 at 11:29 AM Post #10,740 of 11,979
I just received the Kato. The shell is sitting comfortably in my ears. But the only problem is the cable with its metal parts are weighing on the upper part of my ear which is causing some discomfort. Does anybody know a solution to this. Can we attach a clip to the cable and hook it to the shirt or something?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back