Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Aug 5, 2021 at 8:30 PM Post #9,406 of 11,982
My Variations came without filter on one of the IEM, lol.
Yes there not the best flilter design when doing tip rolling. Haven’t had any fall out with ear tips attached so not really concerned. I did end up damaging a couple of my variations filter well exchanging tips. I ordering 10 pairs screens for $4.99 so at least there a cheap cost.
https://shenzhenaudio.com/products/...ssories-for-spaceship-kxxs-starfield-earphone

No issue with my variations on QC. If concerned just buy from a good dealer that stands behind what they sell.

'

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2021 at 8:37 PM Post #9,407 of 11,982
Moondrop Stay updated on Moondrop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.moondroplab.com
Aug 5, 2021 at 8:44 PM Post #9,408 of 11,982
hmmm i'll check out those tips. I agree the Sundara isn't perfect and is a little bright, although I'd argue that the Sundara (at least the 2021 version that I have) has something special going on with the treble, it's really really good and unique and does something special (I actually get a slightly similar vibe from the treble of the Aria). The main complaint for me from the Sundara is it's a little too bass light for me, however it reeeally shines on some tracks (it's a little aggressive for stuff like shooter videogames though).

As far as tips I tried on the Aria, I tried the Xelastec, the Acoustune AET08, Sony Hybrids, Spinfit cp100, JVC Spiral Dot, JVC Spiral Dot++, Final E, Comply Foam, Foam from Tin T2, Symbio W, SednaEarFit Light, and probably some others I don't remember. I really did like what the Xelastec did with the treble but I'll check out the tips you recommended
Where can I buy those tips?
Sounds like I'll have to try the newest Sundara once lockdown ends here! I think you'll really like the A07 tips then. Let me post the link here https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...e.smartLeaderboard_983146267.1005001452900039
They are available under the selection options in S, M and L. The L sized ones may sound a little different from what I hear, personal canal structure aside, as I'm using it in S with very different proportions. Their cost is really agreeable though.

Out of those tips I haven't tried the AET08 (tried the AET08a though), Final E and foam and hybrid tips. The Sedna Light (Short) and many others unmentioned are on the way; I will give updates on how they sound :thumbsup:

Aug 5, 2021 at 9:35 PM Post #9,410 of 11,982
I'm still sticking with my EPRO EP01M. These tips have been the best I've personally tested on the Variations. 👍

Have you tried the EPRO’S stuffed? Really liking the added isolation the foam adds. Easy to diy.

Sharing my best tips so far, may not works for everyone since our canals are unique.

The real Best of two world is here!

JVC spiral dots known for producing best sound, wider soundstage, reducing harsh peaks, and cut mid bass bleed, however for some people its isolation isnt the best to offer.
I got idea from my sony hybrid, and I bought symbio W also, took out symbio W orange memory foam and put inside JVC spiral dots, works quite good actually but a bit stiff.
So i got my spare comply memory foam S series, the one with wider pore. cut it, and put into JVC spiral dots. The result is amazing!! you got the best from JVC spiral dots with extra isolation and extra fit but not too tight and smoothly molded to your ear canal shape.

Here my tutorial with picture :

Aug 5, 2021 at 9:44 PM Post #9,412 of 11,982
Wow so the Aria had me curious about the Starfields so I'm checking them out now and the differences are very interesting. The Aria is definitely more V shaped than the Starfields, with more bass and treble. The Starfields maybe have a better midrange (although this could just be more midrange coming through with less bass and treble). The treble of the Starfields have less shine and sparkle to them compared to the Aria, which have a very special sounded treble to them. This leads to Starfields sounded a little congested and veiled in comparison, on the other hand the Starfields are a more relaxing listen, straying much further away from any kind of fatigue. A small tradeoff of the lifted veil on Aria is slightly more aggression. The width of sound seems to be a bit wider on the Aria due to the shinier treble and wash of bass creating a larger space, although maybe the Starfield sound space is slightly more accurate. You can hear a bit more midrange detail from Starfields with a tradeoff of treble detail being better on Aria. The bass difference between the two is pretty significant, the Aria punches heavy and hard when the song asks for it, while the Starfield is much more polite (kind of HD800S sounding)

Aug 5, 2021 at 11:16 PM Post #9,414 of 11,982
I have not. Can you post some pics of what you did?

Weird it showed pics when posted. Try post 404 in this thread. I do my cutting of foam a tad difference. I cut the tip of foam off. Then cut other piece in half
This way you get a pair from one tip. Since you’re using with epro that’s already short. If silcone is to big will be push out from around the opening.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/best-iem-tips.626895/page-27

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2021 at 2:55 AM Post #9,415 of 11,982
Weird it showed pics when posted. Try post 404 in this thread. I do my cutting of foam a tad difference. I cut the tip of foam off. Then cut other piece in half
This way you get a pair from one tip. Since you’re using with epro that’s already short. If silcone is to big will be push out from around the opening.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/best-iem-tips.626895/page-27
Interesting. Gonna try it first thing.

Aug 6, 2021 at 6:59 AM Post #9,416 of 11,982
Wow so the Aria had me curious about the Starfields so I'm checking them out now and the differences are very interesting. The Aria is definitely more V shaped than the Starfields, with more bass and treble. The Starfields maybe have a better midrange (although this could just be more midrange coming through with less bass and treble). The treble of the Starfields have less shine and sparkle to them compared to the Aria, which have a very special sounded treble to them. This leads to Starfields sounded a little congested and veiled in comparison, on the other hand the Starfields are a more relaxing listen, straying much further away from any kind of fatigue. A small tradeoff of the lifted veil on Aria is slightly more aggression. The width of sound seems to be a bit wider on the Aria due to the shinier treble and wash of bass creating a larger space, although maybe the Starfield sound space is slightly more accurate. You can hear a bit more midrange detail from Starfields with a tradeoff of treble detail being better on Aria. The bass difference between the two is pretty significant, the Aria punches heavy and hard when the song asks for it, while the Starfield is much more polite (kind of HD800S sounding)
That is why I use a Spinfit CP145M with my Aria, it helped tame the bass and improve the mids a bit, fixing the tonality to my taste.

Aug 6, 2021 at 10:46 AM Post #9,418 of 11,982
Aug 6, 2021 at 2:24 PM Post #9,420 of 11,982
I'm selling my 8-core graphene cable from XINHS if anyone is interested, PM me. It is 0.78 2-pin with 2.5mm balanced connection.

I found that this cable is a better match with the EST 112 so I ordered another one with MMCX connections. Also because I returned my Variations to Shenzhen Audio due to distortion issue caused by faceplate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back