Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
May 24, 2021 at 12:07 PM Post #8,086 of 11,979
Hi guys,

Been reading this thread for a while now, decided to make my first post here. I'm still fairly new to IEM/audio, please pardon me if I ask something foolish. :triportsad:

I got my Moondrop Blessing 2 a while ago and loving it. Recently I'm looking for some DAC/AMP to go with Blessing 2, mainly will be using it with mobile phone so I'm looking at something that is portable like USB/dongle type.
I came down to these:
1) Lotoo paw S1
2) ibasso DC03
3) Dragonfly cobalt (a bit out of my budget)
4) Tempotec sonata HD PRO

and.... have anyone use this?
5) Tanchjim Stargate

For those DAC/AMP I'm hope to find something that can compliment the sound signature of Blessing 2, giving more 'air space' and layering (listening to more of instrumental/post rock like 'Toe', 'Mogwai', 'Sigur Ros') but not too much emphasize on bass. Out of those 5 I've only tried out Dragonfly so far, first impression was it render the vocal, drum cymbals, violin etc sound more 'buttery smooth' which i really like.
I'm also really interested in Lotto Paw S1 and saw some post that mentioned it, does it pair well with Blessing 2? How will you describe the sound in general?
Appreciate any other recommendation too!

Another subject about ear tips....
After using stock ear tips M size, I switched to spinfit CP155, M size. It is fairly comfortable but I wanted to explore more, hoping to find greater isolation & comfort.
I tried Azla sedna light S and MS size, unfortunately they do not fit me well. Even with S size I feel really uncomfortable within 30 minutes of listening. Really disappointed with them despite good feedback from many users. I wonder if I should get size SS and give it another try because I feel they bring out better sound from Blessing 2.
Others tips I have yet to try are final type E (can't seems to get them to fit in place), JVC spiral dots, Radius deep mount.
I'm now looking at MIS-tips by Moondrop themselves. I've never used foam tips before and saw a few users post them here. Do they offer greater isolation? and how do they alter the sound...in a good way?

I hope I don't make this post too long :)
Thanks in advance!
If you think EITS is good, I'd give a look into another outfit called Lights and Motion. Should be a nice extension of the same.

Have you given thought into what plug you want to use (3.5mm single-ended or 2.5mm balanced)? I've got a little guy right here that would be perfect for the occasion and, outside of the Lotoo (which would be more expensive), nothing else in the range can touch its power handling:
IMG_20210520_104036.jpg
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001753690187.html

If you prefer single-ended, then go for the 9038D instead of the 9038SG3, but either way, you're getting a super pocketable DAC/amp that doesn't need any of the OTG stuff (unless you're running off an iPhone), a great app (provided you pay the extra $10 to unlock all the features), and absolutely gobsmacking amounts of power for the form factor. Doesn't seem to drain my battery much faster, either, but has more than enough juice for the Blessing 2. Honestly, it's almost enough juice for the Tin P1, which are current-hungry to the max. Wholeheartedly recommend; E1DA's one of ASR's lovechildren. Bonus points for being able to adjust 2nd and 3rd order harmonics to introduce more of a tube-like feel. Honestly, it's well worth the sub-$100 asking price.

Otherwise, of those you listed, the only two I'd bother with would be the Lotoo or iBasso. I don't think the Dragonfly is worth anywhere close to its asking price in terms of performance, so you're really not missing much there, anyway. Those I know who've picked up the Tempotec are pretty underwhelmed by it, but you can't ask for too much from a dongle at that price.

As for the tip question, Spiral Dots would have been my recommendation as well; the B2 seems to prefer tips that don't protrude that far to begin with; you're really just looking for something to feel the air gap left behind by the nozzle. I don't think you need the ++ variant, though; the original ones are considerably cheaper and work just fine.

May 24, 2021 at 12:49 PM Post #8,087 of 11,979
If you think EITS is good, I'd give a look into another outfit called Lights and Motion. Should be a nice extension of the same.

Have you given thought into what plug you want to use (3.5mm single-ended or 2.5mm balanced)? I've got a little guy right here that would be perfect for the occasion and, outside of the Lotoo (which would be more expensive), nothing else in the range can touch its power handling:
IMG_20210520_104036.jpg
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001753690187.html

If you prefer single-ended, then go for the 9038D instead of the 9038SG3, but either way, you're getting a super pocketable DAC/amp that doesn't need any of the OTG stuff (unless you're running off an iPhone), a great app (provided you pay the extra $10 to unlock all the features), and absolutely gobsmacking amounts of power for the form factor. Doesn't seem to drain my battery much faster, either, but has more than enough juice for the Blessing 2. Honestly, it's almost enough juice for the Tin P1, which are current-hungry to the max. Wholeheartedly recommend; E1DA's one of ASR's lovechildren. Bonus points for being able to adjust 2nd and 3rd order harmonics to introduce more of a tube-like feel. Honestly, it's well worth the sub-$100 asking price.

Otherwise, of those you listed, the only two I'd bother with would be the Lotoo or iBasso. I don't think the Dragonfly is worth anywhere close to its asking price in terms of performance, so you're really not missing much there, anyway. Those I know who've picked up the Tempotec are pretty underwhelmed by it, but you can't ask for too much from a dongle at that price.

As for the tip question, Spiral Dots would have been my recommendation as well; the B2 seems to prefer tips that don't protrude that far to begin with; you're really just looking for something to feel the air gap left behind by the nozzle. I don't think you need the ++ variant, though; the original ones are considerably cheaper and work just fine.
Thank you for introducing me Lights and motion. Never heard of them but will check them out.

In terms of plug I most likely will use 3.5 single ended and/or 4.4 balanced. 2.5mm seems too....flimsy, durability might be an issue. But I'm still not quite sure what is the difference when it comes to sound presentation for single ended vs balanced. Have much to learn.

Oh yes, E1DA is the one that I forgot to mention.
I see if I can get a demo unit to try out and compare to Lotoo.

May 24, 2021 at 12:59 PM Post #8,088 of 11,979
this is still draft for Dusk 89 or 90/100, monarch 93/100, MEST mkii 97/100, anole vx 99/100. The reaaon why I down graded Monarch is simply due to personal tonality preference, due to lack of mid-bass. And coherence of Monarch is not as perfectly aligned as Mest mkii and VX. Dusk&B2 has very good coherence though.

Dusk is very satisfactory, if you are fine with Dusk, further push to rest of 10% would need exponential multipliers on price.
3079400E-FD60-4230-AEED-43913B27B5D3.jpegFB7F913C-2976-4678-9465-645DC4D127F2.jpeg
Could you share the link to the spreadsheet so I can take a look at it? I'm currently looking for a new pair of IEMs and have been eyeing Moondrop's but can't decide which to go for. Would appreciate looking at your reviews of them.

May 24, 2021 at 1:57 PM Post #8,089 of 11,979
So about 30 hours (4 days - yeah I listen with my IEM around 6-8 hours a day) in of using the Aria, the bass has more punch now compared to first day (still not a bass monster tho). The mid is a little bit more forward, but still not as forward as my CKX and it is not a bad thing imho, just a different presentation in sound. The treble smoothened out a bit and feels less grainy. It was a bit grainy at the end of cymbals tsss tsss sound, but now it is just right. I absolutely love the sound on the Aria and with Final Audio eartips, it is very comfortable and fit really well on my ears.

Last edited:
May 24, 2021 at 2:32 PM Post #8,090 of 11,979
I'm still not quite sure what is the difference when it comes to sound presentation for single ended vs balanced. Have much to learn
Depends on the implementation, but folks tend to go with a balanced cable to maximize the amount of current/power they can get to their IEMs. 2.5, 4.4, doesn't really make much of a difference to me. The claims with 4.4 being superior are, I think, just that. Some people like the chunkier connector; fwiw I've never broken a 2.5mm and I've got about 6 different cables lying around the house, anywhere from Dunu all the way down to NICEHCK. Sound presentation is really a factor of the IEM you're using; some benefit from it, some are efficient enough to not need it at all. I did find a significant improvement in going balanced on the Kanas Pro, but those are notorious for needing a lot of current to come out of their proverbial shell.

Good luck on trying to get your hands on the Lotoo/E1DA. They both seem like a fantastic choice; don't think you'll go wrong with either.

May 24, 2021 at 3:06 PM Post #8,091 of 11,979
@Bruno Ibanes @MOONDROP
Thanks. Reset procedures completed by 8 sec in box one!

Also, I recommend to add that info to user guide:
86E94F25-FD1E-4812-A838-9DDD30EEA391.jpeg
Did the procedure work?

This type of information is also not included in other TWS, it is something more technical (I believe it can cause a problem if used at the wrong time, such as during a software update).

May 24, 2021 at 4:04 PM Post #8,092 of 11,979
Could you share the link to the spreadsheet so I can take a look at it? I'm currently looking for a new pair of IEMs and have been eyeing Moondrop's but can't decide which to go for. Would appreciate looking at your reviews of them.
Sorry, still filling those, I attached a work-in-progress (PDF)

Did the procedure work?

This type of information is also not included in other TWS, it is something more technical (I believe it can cause a problem if used at the wrong time, such as during a software update).
Yes! I had to press both IEMs stored in the box over 8 seconds, hard reset was successful.

Attachments

• crossref.pdf
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
May 24, 2021 at 8:01 PM Post #8,093 of 11,979
Sorry, still filling those, I attached a work-in-progress (PDF)

Yes! I had to press both IEMs stored in the box over 8 seconds, hard reset was successful.
I'm glad!

Friend, can you clarify one more question about the Aria mod?

You said that removing the hexagonal filter makes the bass flatter. What exactly does that mean? I'm asking, because I'm quite a beginner with more technical terms.

One thing I really like about Aria is that after the burn-in I was able to feel the kicking of the bass more intensely. When I say kick, I say that feeling of air that a big speaker causes in your ear, you know? I think this is the closest explanation I can come up with. Will I lose this by removing the hexagonal filter?

I also ask, because removing the filter is the loss of some R $ for me (local currency), so I'm afraid to make the mod and end up losing the feature I like most in Aria, in addition to losing money (the dollar here is expensive , sad).

May 24, 2021 at 9:41 PM Post #8,094 of 11,979
I'm glad!

Friend, can you clarify one more question about the Aria mod?

You said that removing the hexagonal filter makes the bass flatter. What exactly does that mean? I'm asking, because I'm quite a beginner with more technical terms.

One thing I really like about Aria is that after the burn-in I was able to feel the kicking of the bass more intensely. When I say kick, I say that feeling of air that a big speaker causes in your ear, you know? I think this is the closest explanation I can come up with. Will I lose this by removing the hexagonal filter?

I also ask, because removing the filter is the loss of some R $ for me (local currency), so I'm afraid to make the mod and end up losing the feature I like most in Aria, in addition to losing money (the dollar here is expensive , sad).
Ah, I meant after removing the filter, bass volume will decrease by 2-3dB. But as you mentioned after burn-in, you start to feel the “air” movement, of which I refer as “momentum / vector”, that “kick of air movement will be enhanced by removing the iron filter.

Sound reproduction of good IEMs is not flat 2D dimensions, it is 3D movements, each sound has its own vector moving toward/across/around/away from you, the better the presentation, you can sense from where to where, and the weight of the vector.

Hex filter is limiting that presentation and hex filter is meant to compress bass to amplify the volume, in exchange of losing “kick”& coherence. Like we zip a file from 5MB to 3MB, bass gets compressed.

So after you remove it, you will have much more “direct impact of kick and heavy bass resonance. Believe me, I play drum and know very well about bass drum/floor tom’s heavy slam that will shake the whole body. Aria’s filter mod bass is capable of simulating that slam by 80%. If you add complete tight sealing AZLA xelastec tips to it, it’s gonna be addictive bass. I compared Believe vs Aria for bass, and I liked Aira’s momentum presentation better.

If you feel the LCP Bass is something very unique, removing filter will boost that uniqueness👍

Oh didn’t your Aria came with like 12 packs of filter? You can always add those back.(it’s in the black box)
And remember keep the white filter stay intact, only the outer layer of hex shape iron filter.
I already tried removing both layers, it simply didn’t payout.
EFDE2033-2948-41C1-8F81-7AEBFF5D5455.jpeg

Last edited:
May 24, 2021 at 11:34 PM Post #8,095 of 11,979
Ah, I meant after removing the filter, bass volume will decrease by 2-3dB. But as you mentioned after burn-in, you start to feel the “air” movement, of which I refer as “momentum / vector”, that “kick of air movement will be enhanced by removing the iron filter.

Sound reproduction of good IEMs is not flat 2D dimensions, it is 3D movements, each sound has its own vector moving toward/across/around/away from you, the better the presentation, you can sense from where to where, and the weight of the vector.

Hex filter is limiting that presentation and hex filter is meant to compress bass to amplify the volume, in exchange of losing “kick”& coherence. Like we zip a file from 5MB to 3MB, bass gets compressed.

So after you remove it, you will have much more “direct impact of kick and heavy bass resonance. Believe me, I play drum and know very well about bass drum/floor tom’s heavy slam that will shake the whole body. Aria’s filter mod bass is capable of simulating that slam by 80%. If you add complete tight sealing AZLA xelastec tips to it, it’s gonna be addictive bass. I compared Believe vs Aria for bass, and I liked Aira’s momentum presentation better.

If you feel the LCP Bass is something very unique, removing filter will boost that uniqueness👍

Oh didn’t your Aria came with like 12 packs of filter? You can always add those back.(it’s in the black box)
And remember keep the white filter stay intact, only the outer layer of hex shape iron filter.
I already tried removing both layers, it simply didn’t payout.
EFDE2033-2948-41C1-8F81-7AEBFF5D5455.jpeg
Thanks!

That was a VERY good explanation.

Suppose I have an AMP / DAC like the FiiOs that give a bass gain of up to 6dbs, that would solve the counterpoint of the bass volume, right?

I have been thinking that my next acquisition should be a DAC just to give a use to the optical output of my motherboard.

May 25, 2021 at 12:18 AM Post #8,096 of 11,979
Hooyay! post rock gang!
Explosion in the sky are still one of my favorite.

I did came across FiiO BRR5. In general I try not to get bluetooth amp/devices these day...main reason is I hate to get interrupt and cut off. With a few App developed as a Covid-19 measure here in my country, my ANC headphone get cut off 80% of the time when I launch the app.
And also... one less device I need to worry about charging :smile:

I will definitely get my hands on on JVC spiral dots!
God Is An Astronaut is one of my favourites!

May 25, 2021 at 5:02 AM Post #8,097 of 11,979
@Bruno Ibanes @MOONDROP
Thanks. Reset procedures completed by 8 sec in box one!

Also, I recommend to add that info to user guide:
86E94F25-FD1E-4812-A838-9DDD30EEA391.jpeg
Yeah I think we'll let them know in next batch.
It was in our Bluetooth app, but this should be in a physical manual instead.

Moondrop Stay updated on Moondrop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.moondroplab.com
May 25, 2021 at 6:28 AM Post #8,098 of 11,979
How does the Starfield sound with balanced cable for those that have tried it ?

I am curious to know as i am not sure if there is something off with my balanced cable. I got the Faaeal 0.78mm 2 pin cable with 4.4mm plug. When i use it with Starfield on my DX300, it sounds hollow, like a lot of the body from the sound has shifted far back. It sounds nothing close to what it was with stock cables.

I don't remember this much of a difference when going from unbalanced to balanced with other IEMs.

May 25, 2021 at 6:41 AM Post #8,099 of 11,979
How does the Starfield sound with balanced cable for those that have tried it ?

I am curious to know as i am not sure if there is something off with my balanced cable. I got the Faaeal 0.78mm 2 pin cable with 4.4mm plug. When i use it with Starfield on my DX300, it sounds hollow, like a lot of the body from the sound has shifted far back. It sounds nothing close to what it was with stock cables.

I don't remember this much of a difference when going from unbalanced to balanced with other IEMs.
I know your problem with the Hibiscus. It should be nothing to do with unbalanced ports (I think). I experienced this with my 3.5mm MMCX Faaeal Hibiscus.

Try moving the cable (the braided cores itself) going out from the jack of the Hibiscus around and you should hear a very major difference.

Once you find the "right" spot, fill the gap with some glue (I used E7000).

Hope this helps.

---

Edit: The Hibiscus is trashed as a "bad sounding" cable (same as yours and my past experience that sound seemed to have become hollow) in a certain FB group and I do wonder why no one has ever pointed out, noticed, or even just thought of that there might have been some defect (with an easy-to-do fix).

Last edited:
May 25, 2021 at 9:27 AM Post #8,100 of 11,979
Yeah I think we'll let them know in next batch.
It was in our Bluetooth app, but this should be in a physical manual instead.
Yea also the app is mentioned nowhere in the package, you may add QR code or at least app name to easy start guide. When I looked hiby app there are too many similar products

Users who are viewing this thread

Back