Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Jan 1, 2020 at 11:32 PM Post #4,366 of 12,007
Their graphs are really similar.. but yeah a bit more detail up in the 10-15k range

sorry thats not similar at all lols, sure the upper region is pretty much the same

but those mid bass decrease is huge, and change your perception on how it sounded. A8 bass is bloated, while S8 that might not be the case.

It gets really tiring having only 2-3 reviewers being brought up in %90 of posts as if their opinions are the gold standard.

can we get passed this please? make up your own opinion and I trust someone that has owned them for a month

i rather trust people that actually tried tons of earphone instead of someone who only own a couple for months that havent even tried every possibilities and limited to their references that they owned. if u tried the earphone for 1 hour u should have a decent opinion about it unless u believe in snake oil like burn in

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2020 at 10:02 AM Post #4,367 of 12,007
sorry thats not similar at all lols, sure the upper region is pretty much the same
but those mid bass decrease is huge, and change your perception on how it sounded. A8 bass is bloated, while S8 that might not be the case.
Dat mid-bass decrease and sub-bass boost - this might be my dream-FR for my ears! Too bad it`s too much for my wallet ;( (right away thinking of selling my desktop gear... but I love that setup as my TOTL! DANG!)

Jan 3, 2020 at 10:04 AM Post #4,368 of 12,007
Dat mid-bass decrease and sub-bass boost - this might be my dream-FR for my ears! Too bad it`s too much for my wallet ;( (right away thinking of selling my desktop gear... but I love that setup as my TOTL! DANG!)
i am getting that S8 soon, hope it will stop me from getting cheap stuff

Jan 3, 2020 at 10:04 AM Post #4,369 of 12,007
I had the time to try the S8 again today with smaller bore tips. The sound is leaner. No harshness at all.

I also tried the azna earfit light tips for my kanas pro. They lift up and clean up the treble, tame down and tighten the sub bass compared to spinfit 145.
I think the s8 sounds signature is quite close to that but with better everything basically.

They are very efficient. Sounds incredible out of apple dongle below 50% volume driven by iphone 11pro (higher usb current feed than earlier models according to the store dude)
Just so smooth, rich and natural.

I am sure anyone who is expecting moondrop house sound won’t be disappointed.

Jan 3, 2020 at 10:59 AM Post #4,370 of 12,007

i honestly think u will like it judging by your taste. altho u need to remember there is still an inherent differences to BA bass and DD bass. most of my friend says that the bass is not impressive that gonna wow u but its a really well tuned and the bass doesn't interfere with the rest of the frequency range. its the best moondrop release to date.

all of my friends seems to think its an exceptional IEM. sadly im on the same boat as you, i do have blessing 2 coming up (which already stretching my budget from starfield lols). if i want to get S8 i need to sell my beloved EXK and i just can't do that (since i love it to bits and its a really unique iem)

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2020 at 12:11 PM Post #4,371 of 12,007
It needs to be reviewers who's ethics you trust, because some reviewers opinions are more influenced by the amount of sponsorship they receive...

Very true... There is one reviewer where my trust has been lost after a couple really strong disagreements that didn’t strike me as purely a sense of “preferences” but I may be wrong so I just look to others.

i rather trust people that actually tried tons of earphone instead of someone who only own a couple for months that havent even tried every possibilities and limited to their references that they owned. if u tried the earphone for 1 hour u should have a decent opinion about it unless u believe in snake oil like burn in

I sort of agree with the first bit except that I think there is a difference in listening to an iem and comparing it to another and just listening to it for musicality. I’ve had a couple iems that didn’t really strike me at first but as my “brain burned in” and I got over it just being different I really started to enjoy what it did for my music. That’s the one caveat with reviewers that are constantly doing high volume reviews. Some iems reveal their strengths over time. Just my opinion of course...

i honestly think u will like it judging by your taste. altho u need to remember there is still an inherent differences to BA bass and DD bass. most of my friend says that the bass is not impressive that gonna wow u but its a really well tuned and the bass doesn't interfere with the rest of the frequency range. its the best moondrop release to date.

all of my friends seems to think its an exceptional IEM. sadly im on the same boat as you, i do have blessing 2 coming up (which already stretching my budget from starfield lols). if i want to get S8 i need to sell my beloved EXK and i just can't do that (since i love it to bits and its a really unique iem)

I just got my S8’s yesterday and I’ve only had a short listen (more today) and so far the clarity is excellent and just what I wanted. They seem leaner in the mids but I think that is because the bass is cleaner and that mid bass decrease cools the mids a bit. I couldn’t t help but ever so slightly eq’ing the bass a little and that warmth comes back with the nice clarity on top. The bass is definitely there and like you say, I think it’s well tuned, just not quite as present as I’m used to... do note that my reference at the moment is the EE Legend X so almost everything has decreased bass compared to them.

The S8’s are very clean and clear sounding iems and have that promising quality of not really jumping out at me in any particular way. Maybe they are a little upper mid dominant as some piano notes seem a little more pronounced and some of the lower notes a cello seem to emphasize the “bite” of the bow over the woody tone. The imaging is great though so the mids, though a bit forward, always have a precise placement about them. They seem to remind me of the Anole VX a little but I only had a very brief audition with those a couple months ago. I’d be curious to hear if I’m way off with that.
I look forward to listening to these more over the weekend and I’ll mention other impressions as they develop.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2020 at 12:40 PM Post #4,373 of 12,007
i love mids, i am looking for ER4S successor, S8 seems like a good choice

You’ll like these the. Maybe “forward” is the wrong word and maybe “prominent” is better. Forward, for me, tends to be like standing right in front of the singer but these image so well that I am aware of the space.. They’re really impressive that way. Also it’s nice to find out that EQ’ing doesn’t seem to degrade the sound at all.

Jan 3, 2020 at 12:57 PM Post #4,374 of 12,007
Is there somthing new about the 50mm driver

Jan 3, 2020 at 1:30 PM Post #4,375 of 12,007
Yeah, I belive I would like S8... though, KPE with mods hits just spot on with whole bass area for me and little afraid BA bass driver and quantity won`t be able to deliver such rumble, deepness and hit.

Jan 3, 2020 at 1:34 PM Post #4,376 of 12,007
Yeah, I belive I would like S8... though, KPE with mods hits just spot on with whole bass area for me and little afraid BA bass driver and quantity won`t be able to deliver such rumble, deepness and hit.
It depends on the bass ba driver the new vented one like on the t800 are compared to dd very comparable

Jan 3, 2020 at 2:30 PM Post #4,377 of 12,007
A little comment about the clean bass. I'm used to the EE LX and on the WM1A with the Eros II cable and I didn't find that there was the "bass bleed" that seems to be the main complaint about the LX. Well I tried the S8 with the WM1A and the Eros cable and was getting a bit of a sense of stridency and a little bass weakness. I was starting to think that maybe the S8 is brighter than I thought and a bit fatiguing... but going back to the LX, I got a more natural midrange and of course the extra bass but there was a bit of the sense of the "bleed" again that I hadn't noticed for so long.. hmm.. But then I figured I'd set the EQ to boost the bass for the S8 and lo' and behold I forgot that I had eq'ed up the mids and treble on the WM1A to compensate for the LX... it has be set so long like that I forgot..Ha...
So, back to flat and the S8 balance is great...

Jan 3, 2020 at 4:55 PM Post #4,380 of 12,007
Does anyone know if moondrop is gonna make a new spaceship/crescent soon? Interested in the spaceship but don't want to get it just for them to release something new.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back