Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Jan 4, 2020 at 11:41 AM Post #4,396 of 12,007
15775065312284909347161298222843.jpg

its not similar to S8 at all IMO
But, does their actual sample actually measure like this? Hope to see this on Crin's blog one day to find out.

Jan 4, 2020 at 11:45 AM Post #4,397 of 12,007
You can say whatever you want. I think the A8 needs more bass, not less. Some devices show this more than others. Yes its a small iem, but it needs MUCH more power than people give it credit for. Im using an Xduoo 05+ at medium gain, bass boost on, and then volume at half! Thats a lot of power man. It does not sound the same as low powered devices.

i don't share the same sentiment, but i never listen to things at high volume (i liked my hearing to be healthy when i get older) so maybe there is some merit to your opinion. i just don't share the same opinion. its not headphone these thing doesn't need big power like that.

as for needing bass, that just your taste. maybe u like a midbassy iem and doesn't mind the bloated midbass but doesn't mean its not there.

But, does their actual sample actually measure like this? Hope to see this on Crin's blog one day to find out.

its not released yet so thats the only graph thats available for us sadly. its released at 6th jan in china so expect 2 weeks before it goes to most of the world.

Jan 4, 2020 at 9:46 PM Post #4,398 of 12,007
A little more time with the S8 today... Bass is quite good. Not the rumble of the LX nor would I expect that but with a tiny bump of EQ I don't feel like I'm missing anything just getting a different presentation that feels very balanced in it's own way. There is very good imaging but there is definitely a mid-forward aspect that will take me a little to get used to as the LX does not do that. I feel like the strong rise at 2-3khz is making the upper range of female vocals stand out and lower backing vocals tend to get a little more lost on some tracks. It's not sibilant though, just strong.
Overall these have a dynamic presentation for sure but with some very good subtleties too. I still need to work through the Baroque side of my music collection to get a sense of tonality but overall the skew seems more towards the attack and the vibrancy of stringed instruments over the body and warmth. It's not a bad emphasis though and brings a lot of clarity. I think a warmer source than the WM1A might change that perception. I do wonder if people with younger ears might find these a little aggressive sounding though. For me it's a pretty good balance, not TOTL in terms of soundstage depth or complexity but a very clean and clear presentation. I think I'm just used to a little more warmth but I'm sure I will adjust. I'm going to be using these pretty much exclusively during the week at work so I will get to where they become the new normal and then compare again to the LX..

**Edit** I just re-read Toranku's comments and I think I am hearing almost exactly as he is in regards to the upper mids/ treble..
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/tor...nstantly-updated.895832/page-55#post-15363304

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2020 at 5:34 PM Post #4,400 of 12,007
Last thoughts on the S8 until I just force myself to stop thinking about them and just try to get used to them.
My previous post was with the WM1A with the Eros II 8 wire balanced.
Today was alternating between the ES100 and the BTR5 with a Noble Audio balanced cable. My source, unfortunately, is an iPhone so AAC only, no LDAC.

The ES100 was not the best pairing as the lower mids suffered and cellos sounded all attack and no tone. I bumped the eq in the 250 400 region just a bit to compensate for that reduction as shown in the graph and things got warmer. The forward mids though seemed particularly forward and bordering on claustrophobic. This is entirely based on what I’m used to with the LX which have pretty good depth of soundstage. The BTR5 was much better as it seems to my ears to be a much warmer source and a little more V shaped in presentation. Soundstage depth was better as was the tone of the cellos without resorting to EQ.
I still think many will find the upper mids and treble a bit pushy on these.
Generally I eschew EQ because I feel that if an iem needs it to sound right for me then I don’t have the right iem for me. The FiiO app seems clunky on the iPhone so thankfully the BTR5 is a pretty good match without eq.

I do have an Effect Audio Maestro cable en route though so perhaps that might balance the sound a little.

I’m going to try to refrain from particular judgement for a week now and revisit these thoughts.

The bass though is plentiful and clean, better than most BA bass I've heard.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2020 at 1:21 PM Post #4,402 of 12,007
Hi to all. I ordered the S8 for the new year. These are my first iem that are more expensive than $ 300. But if they play at least like the AKG K702 (I expect that), I will be completely satisfied. Cable Litz 6N will delight.
They should play much better than the AKG K702 but different as well. My K7XX stays in the drawer as well most of my full size cans now a days.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2020 at 4:38 PM Post #4,403 of 12,007
I don't know if this has been posted, but here's Solis FR. I wasn't aware it had 2 Electrets inside. Upper mids to treble don't looks as full as others in their line. Treble rolls of quicker. Anybody seen any other graphs? Crin didn't have one.

Are electrets that similar to Electrostats? Is it hard to tune without a dip in the upper-mids to treble? Shure KSE1200 has a large crater there.

Interesting, SR009 response resembles Audiosens T800

89cb75db76a2e814ce4d0f8fbc03943d.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2020 at 7:00 PM Post #4,404 of 12,007
Moondrop Starfield

(from their Facebook page)
MOONDROP
13 hrs ·
The look value surpasses your expectations! The sound of Starfield is more like a decentralized version of KXXS, and the overall sound trend is closer. Starfield's tuning still has no obvious bias. The brightness of its sound is slightly higher than KXXS. The position of the human voice is a bit backward. The width of the soundstage is a bit narrowed, and the extension weaker than KXXS. Hope all you will like it!

"The position of the human voice is a bit backward", does this mean the vocals are recessed, in comparison to the KXXS ?

Jan 6, 2020 at 7:09 PM Post #4,405 of 12,007
Moondrop Starfield

MOONDROP
13 hrs ·
The look value surpasses your expectations! The sound of Starfield is more like a decentralized version of KXXS, and the overall sound trend is closer. Starfield's tuning still has no obvious bias. The brightness of its sound is slightly higher than KXXS. The position of the human voice is a bit backward. The width of the soundstage is a bit narrowed, and the extension weaker than KXXS. Hope all you will like it!

"The position of the human voice is a bit backward", does this mean the vocals are recessed, in comparison to the KXXS ?
Yes but just human voices. Animal voices Alien voices and fantasy creature voices are still in front

Jan 6, 2020 at 7:09 PM Post #4,406 of 12,007
Moondrop Starfield

MOONDROP
13 hrs ·

It was pretty forward for me but idk if it's more recessed than KXXS or not. But it's obviously more foward than TFZ No. 3

Jan 6, 2020 at 7:16 PM Post #4,407 of 12,007
Moondrop Starfield

MOONDROP
13 hrs ·

These Chinese companies really need to up their game when it comes to communicating in English. It's so sad to see what should have been a promotional text so poorly written and with so much emphasis on the product's shortcomings.

Jan 6, 2020 at 7:19 PM Post #4,408 of 12,007
Note: I think it was recessed since KXXS is a mid centric IEM (I just remember about it). Starfield is more in the middle compared to KXXS. So it feels more balanced, more than my TFZ T2 which have elevated bass.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2020 at 7:56 PM Post #4,409 of 12,007
These Chinese companies really need to up their game when it comes to communicating in English. It's so sad to see what should have been a promotional text so poorly written and with so much emphasis on the product's shortcomings.

Yep, I also never understood why in Asia sometimes it seems so difficult for companies to just work with a native English speaking translator who reads over promotional texts before they get published. Should not take much time nor would it be very expensive....
It`s the same here in Japan....

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2020 at 8:01 PM Post #4,410 of 12,007
Note: I think it was recessed since KXXS is a mid centric IEM (I just remember about it). Starfield is more in the middle compared to KXXS. So it feels more balanced, more than my TFZ T2 which have elevated bass.

Hi!

KXXS is Harman target style, so it is NOT mid centric. It`s slightly v-shaped!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back