Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Jan 8, 2020 at 9:21 PM Post #4,426 of 11,978
A KZ ZSX? :wink:

I'm sure if I've tried a KZ IEM, I would've gotten what you said.

But if you weren't joking, then I was thinking of either the S8 or IER-Z1R :wink:

Jan 9, 2020 at 9:05 AM Post #4,427 of 11,978
I dont know man the t800 rating can be justified i i personally dont grab my t800 anymore since months because of my kxxs after crins rating i listen to the t800 and it was just boomy and sibilant i had better times whit the t800 but i think you have to stick to them and get use to the tuning but after months of harman the t800 was just to much of a V-U shape

But i would still say it is a B- contender

No punctuation makes your post almost unreadable.

Jan 9, 2020 at 1:59 PM Post #4,428 of 11,978
Moondrop Starfield Measurements
(MiniDSP EARS. Raw compensation. 1/12 smoothing. 500Hz 94dB normalized)

Starfield Spiral Dot++ (Blue) VS KXXS Spiral Dot++ (Grey) VS Blessing Final E (Red) VS Etymotic ER4SR Default 3-Flange (Black)
Moondrop Starfield.jpg

Moondrop Starfield Spiral Dot++ (Blue) VS LZ A6mini Black Filter Default Tips (Orange) VS Drop + JVC HA-FDX1 Green Filter Default Spiral Dot (Green) VS TFZ Secret Garden Spiral Dot (Purple) VS Etymotic ER4SR Default 3-Flange (Black)
Starfield 2.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2020 at 6:09 PM Post #4,430 of 11,978
Moondrop Starfield Measurements
(MiniDSP EARS. Raw compensation. 1/12 smoothing. 500Hz 94dB normalized)

Starfield Spiral Dot++ (Blue) VS KXXS Spiral Dot++ (Grey) VS Blessing Final E (Red) VS Etymotic ER4SR Default 3-Flange (Black)

Moondrop Starfield Spiral Dot++ (Blue) VS LZ A6mini Black Filter Default Tips (Orange) VS Drop + JVC HA-FDX1 Green Filter Default Spiral Dot (Green) VS TFZ Secret Garden Spiral Dot (Purple) VS Etymotic ER4SR Default 3-Flange (Black)
Based on graphs only - I would pick HA-FDX1 or Starfield.

Jan 9, 2020 at 8:00 PM Post #4,431 of 11,978
Hey guys. Unfortunately, I dropped my KPE and now the left one seems to be working at about half volume. Any ideas on a fix to this? I can use software to change the balance, but that is a big P.I.T.A... I am bummed.... I have ordered a pair of BL 03s, but i LOVED my KPE... Might have to get a pair of Starfields or KXXS if the BLONs don't do it for me... Oh well.

Jan 9, 2020 at 8:04 PM Post #4,432 of 11,978
Hey guys. Unfortunately, I dropped my KPE and now the left one seems to be working at about half volume. Any ideas on a fix to this? I can use software to change the balance, but that is a big P.I.T.A... I am bummed.... I have ordered a pair of BL 03s, but i LOVED my KPE... Might have to get a pair of Starfields or KXXS if the BLONs don't do it for me... Oh well.
Dropped it where? Maybe the filter is dirty

Jan 9, 2020 at 8:13 PM Post #4,433 of 11,978
It's not a dirty filter. I wish it was... It hit the floor on a concrete walkway. Think it damaged something internally. I'm sure it was my fault.

Jan 9, 2020 at 8:14 PM Post #4,434 of 11,978
Anyways, it was my favorite IEM. I heard the BLON is close, but yeah... disappointed.

Edit: Nice profile pic, BTW! "The world does not start and stop at your convenience!"

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2020 at 8:25 PM Post #4,435 of 11,978

I'm sorry to hear that. :frowning2:

You can contact Moondrop via Facebook and see if they can do anything - my friend lost his KXXS' spare filters and they managed to help him. Also, if the driver broke the seal or something happened internally there's pretty much nothing you can do.

KPE was one of my favorites IEMs too, one of the best sub-bass extension and amazing mids I've heard. Blon is a bit faster at mid-bass but overall not that musical as KPE IMO. On budget side, I'd also consider the URBANFUN YBF-ISS014 since it's an improved Blon according to some users with better sub-bass extension. I was a bit worried to get it due to mmcx issues, but apparently they fixed it on their last batch.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2020 at 9:31 PM Post #4,436 of 11,978
Moondrop Starfield

(from their Facebook page)
MOONDROP
13 hrs ·
The look value surpasses your expectations! The sound of Starfield is more like a decentralized version of KXXS, and the overall sound trend is closer. Starfield's tuning still has no obvious bias. The brightness of its sound is slightly higher than KXXS. The position of the human voice is a bit backward. The width of the soundstage is a bit narrowed, and the extension weaker than KXXS. Hope all you will like it!

"The position of the human voice is a bit backward", does this mean the vocals are recessed, in comparison to the KXXS ?
Regarding material differences according to their Facebook posting:

On the hardware level, KXXS adopts diamond-like carbon fiber diaphragm (DLC) and starfield adopts carbon nanotube array composite polyester diaphragm (CNT). In sound contrast, the two are really complementary earphones.

I wonder what general differences the materials causes? Material properties differences?

I saw on Blessing 2 spec it's dynamic driver is 10mm paper cone diaphragm coil. I wonder why not DLC or CNT bass driver? Does this have to do with vent? Empire Ears Legend X uses an interesting dynamic driver for bass, and it hits hard. If Moondrop can include DLC dynamic driver in the mix, hybrid can get good impact and fun bass.

I wonder about Moondrop's dynamic driver durability. It was easy for me to over-drive a KPE with my amp (although quite strong of a drive).

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2020 at 10:00 PM Post #4,439 of 11,978
Hugo 2. I raised the volume too much because my REW measurement software's dB meter wasn't calibrated with my mic for accurate dB reading. I recall going up to light blue, and purple is much greater at line-level. Should dynamic drivers withstand line-level outputs?
I thought you were referring to something audible in distortion. I can't answer your question as I know nothing about that.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back