Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Dec 30, 2019 at 4:55 PM Post #4,351 of 12,007
I had the chance to demo the S8. I think it sounds really good. It is very smooth but exciting at the same time. Super addictive.

very impressive with sound stage and imaging. Mids are smooth and rich, sub bass has good body and weight, treble is bright and bit boosted up top.

Upper mids are emphasized but stay within reasonable range for me (saxophone test succeeded).
Lower mids may lack a bit of body depending where you coming from (not ideal for some drums for example)
The treble might be a tad hot but I’d need to listen again to be sure. I usually like dark sound.
The tuning is special imo.
I tried different kind of recordings, new and old. Electronic and acoustic, vocals/instrumentals, High and low end mastering. They sound very revealing but they also have this smoothness that makes lofi/old recordings sounds delicious.
Well mastered music like the last FKA Twigs sounds soo impressive with it. I think female pop with epic production may be the ultimate type of music for S8

I tried briefly the blessing 2 and was disappointed, bass is better but the mids are too dry and thin next to S8. Maybe a bad pairing with my source ?
They fit similar than S8 but are thicker and heavier. Not bad but feel a bit clunky next to their S8.

Chaconne are tuned very close to S8 on the other hand. I was surprised how they managed to keep the same kind of sound with an earbud. But the vocals are way too forwards for me. Its mid focused although FR is very extended. I prefer the more balanced sound of S8.
The build quality is the best i ever seen from an earbud, really beautiful, they look better than on pictures and the fit is like a better mx500. Nothing to complain about on that matter.

Thanks for your impressions. My S8 should arrive by the end of the week and I’m looking forward to them even more. I like a bit of boosted treble, being an old fart, but I just hope it’s not too aggressive.
Female pop is not at all what I listen to so hopefully those lower mids aren’t too lean.

**edit**... by boosted treble its in comparison to the A8, not in general and not yet based on personal experiences

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2019 at 6:57 PM Post #4,352 of 12,007
I had the chance to demo the S8. I think it sounds really good. It is very smooth but exciting at the same time. Super addictive.

very impressive with sound stage and imaging. Mids are smooth and rich, sub bass has good body and weight, treble is bright and bit boosted up top.

Upper mids are emphasized but stay within reasonable range for me (saxophone test succeeded).
Lower mids may lack a bit of body depending where you coming from (not ideal for some drums for example)
The treble might be a tad hot but I’d need to listen again to be sure. I usually like dark sound.
The tuning is special imo.
I tried different kind of recordings, new and old. Electronic and acoustic, vocals/instrumentals, High and low end mastering. They sound very revealing but they also have this smoothness that makes lofi/old recordings sounds delicious.
Well mastered music like the last FKA Twigs sounds soo impressive with it. I think female pop with epic production may be the ultimate type of music for S8

I tried briefly the blessing 2 and was disappointed, bass is better but the mids are too dry and thin next to S8. Maybe a bad pairing with my source ?
They fit similar than S8 but are thicker and heavier. Not bad but feel a bit clunky next to their S8.

Chaconne are tuned very close to S8 on the other hand. I was surprised how they managed to keep the same kind of sound with an earbud. But the vocals are way too forwards for me. Its mid focused although FR is very extended. I prefer the more balanced sound of S8.
The build quality is the best i ever seen from an earbud, really beautiful, they look better than on pictures and the fit is like a better mx500. Nothing to complain about on that matter.

I agree with your impression of the S8 with one addition. The S8 changes with tip rolling. Symbio W being my current favorite

Dec 31, 2019 at 12:28 AM Post #4,353 of 12,007
Hey guys! I have been using the Moondrop S8 for the past month and I can't say that S8 has boosted treble at all. In fact, treble is quite natural and has a very natural fall post 5kHz with the treble peaks being 4-5 dB less in amplitude compared to the Harman upper mids. Crinacle has the S8 graph up and that shows the same thing. Maybe, you are referring to the Harman upper mids 2-4.5kHz peak which sounds a bit boosted for people sensitive to upper mids boosting. :thinking:

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2019 at 5:40 AM Post #4,355 of 12,007
Hey guys! I have been using the Moondrop S8 for the past month and I can't say that S8 has boosted treble at all. In fact, treble is quite natural and has very natural fall post 5kHz with the treble peaks being 4-5 dB less in amplitude compared to the Harman upper mids. Crinacle has the S8 graph up and that shows the same thing. Maybe, you are referring to the Harman upper mids 2-4.5kHz peak which sounds a bit boosted for people sensitive to upper mids boosting. :thinking:
Yes sorry that is right, I mistaken upper mids with upper treble.
One thing that strikes me when i tried the S8 is that the hi-hats sound harsh on some recordings, and It’s seems to be in the 3kHz range.
source:
https://www.musical-u.com/learn/percussion-frequencies-part-2-cymbals/
I think I am sensitive to that area. If, as @captblaze suggested, there is a way to balance that with tips, i’m ready to try them again.
I used spinfit 145 for them, may not be ideal.

Dec 31, 2019 at 8:40 AM Post #4,356 of 12,007
Yes sorry that is right, I mistaken upper mids with upper treble.
One thing that strikes me when i tried the S8 is that the hi-hats sound harsh on some recordings, and It’s seems to be in the 3kHz range.
source:
https://www.musical-u.com/learn/percussion-frequencies-part-2-cymbals/
I think I am sensitive to that area. If, as @captblaze suggested, there is a way to balance that with tips, i’m ready to try them again.
I used spinfit 145 for them, may not be ideal.

Try someting like radius or faudio tips. or tips with not as wide bore. that might help

Dec 31, 2019 at 6:32 PM Post #4,357 of 12,007
Hey guys! I have been using the Moondrop S8 for the past month and I can't say that S8 has boosted treble at all. In fact, treble is quite natural and has very natural fall post 5kHz with the treble peaks being 4-5 dB less in amplitude compared to the Harman upper mids. Crinacle has the S8 graph up and that shows the same thing. Maybe, you are referring to the Harman upper mids 2-4.5kHz peak which sounds a bit boosted for people sensitive to upper mids boosting. :thinking:

In regards to the treble, for my part I'm only referring to what Toranku wrote:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/tor...nstantly-updated.895832/page-55#post-15363304

Where he says:

"...I feel like the treble is the highlight, sporting excellent extension.... It has so much air to the point that it can sound a bit unnatural compared to speakers. However there still exists a small spike somewhere with the upper treble which may or may not be addressed with tips ..... This spike is at some times sibilant with certain tracks."

**edit*** and I think this is more in comparison to the A8 rather than a general comment

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2020 at 11:16 AM Post #4,358 of 12,007
It gets really tiring having only 2-3 reviewers being brought up in %90 of posts as if their opinions are the gold standard.

can we get passed this please? make up your own opinion and I trust someone that has owned them for a month

Jan 1, 2020 at 12:10 PM Post #4,359 of 12,007
It gets really tiring having only 2-3 reviewers being brought up in %90 of posts as if their opinions are the gold standard.

can we get passed this please? make up your own opinion and I trust someone that has owned them for a month

I've never heard them, but my Aunt Beatrice really likes the timbre rolloff of the AudioVanity 3000K.

Jan 1, 2020 at 12:57 PM Post #4,360 of 12,007
Yeah but if you’ve heard other things the reviewer has reviewed and you agree or disagree with those then the opinion of the reviewer is very helpful. Someone may have an iem for a month but I if have little idea of their preferences then it’s less useful... I think this is pretty obvious stuff here. When so few have an item we have to turn to the few who've heard it and that tends to be reviewers.

Anyway, in my case I'm not saying what I've read is right, it's just a piece of information I'm going on and I was just pointing out my sources of an opinion which helped me decide to sell my A8 in favour of the S8.
I’ll see tomorrow whether or not that was a good idea for me, and therefore whether the reviewer I mentioned is still useful to me.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2020 at 4:17 PM Post #4,361 of 12,007
btw... I'm not saying there's anything wrong with the A8 objectively. As I mentioned, I'm older (50) and I know, from playing freq. sweeps with my kids, that I top out at around 15khz where they can't believe I can't hear the tones above that. That probably means that even 1-2k below that, my hearing is likely somewhat attenuated.. Fact of life I guess.. So someone suggesting that the S8 maintains a lot of the character of the A8 but gives a little more energy up top... well that sounds like it will suit me very well. I really liked the A8.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2020 at 4:34 PM Post #4,362 of 12,007
Their graphs are really similar.. but yeah a bit more detail up in the 10-15k range graph (44).png

Attachments

• graph (35).png
    graph (35).png
    292.7 KB · Views: 0
Jan 1, 2020 at 4:48 PM Post #4,363 of 12,007
Their graphs are really similar.. but yeah a bit more detail up in the 10-15k range

graphs aside having spent more than a month with my set, the only complaint (minor gripe) is the jankfest of a cable that was included. it may be a good quality copper, but the construction and feel is pure jank.

now that I have corrected the issue I find that no matter what IEM I listen to, I go back to the S8 just to hear a bit more of what it offers compared to what I have in my collection

Jan 1, 2020 at 5:12 PM Post #4,364 of 12,007
Their graphs are really similar.. but yeah a bit more detail up in the 10-15k range

That’s exactly the little extra energy I’m hoping will suit my tastes.

I also ordered an EA Origin balanced cable to go with it so that should sort out that end.

Jan 1, 2020 at 10:48 PM Post #4,365 of 12,007
Yeah but if you’ve heard other things the reviewer has reviewed and you agree or disagree with those then the opinion of the reviewer is very helpful. Someone may have an iem for a month but I if have little idea of their preferences then it’s less useful... I think this is pretty obvious stuff here. When so few have an item we have to turn to the few who've heard it and that tends to be reviewers.

Anyway, in my case I'm not saying what I've read is right, it's just a piece of information I'm going on and I was just pointing out my sources of an opinion which helped me decide to sell my A8 in favour of the S8.
I’ll see tomorrow whether or not that was a good idea for me, and therefore whether the reviewer I mentioned is still useful to me.
It needs to be reviewers who's ethics you trust, because some reviewers opinions are more influenced by the amount of sponsorship they receive...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back