Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Dec 12, 2019 at 12:08 PM Post #4,247 of 11,979
Long shot question: :)

I have a used kanas pro enroute.
I’m one of those people that make cables turn stiff and wiry over time and I need a source of decent replacements at sensible money. I was about to get a couple of TRN T2 but realised the Faaeal Hibiscus is a 2 pin 0.78mm possibility.

Would anyone happen to know if the FH cable end sits nicely in the Kanas Pro shell? My OCD is easily fired on such things.

Thanks in advance for your help. :)

F9860134-7B9E-48E9-9934-5AD187704A9F.jpeg

Dec 14, 2019 at 6:27 PM Post #4,250 of 11,979
Hey all, sorry if these are dumb questions. I read through a bunch of pages but I am curious:
Is the S8 the same size and dimensions as the A8? I have not tried the A8 but since they’ve been out longer maybe I can see how those fit most people. I have trouble with iems sticking out pretty far in my ears. I have slightly large canals but the bowl of my ears are wide in diameter but really shallow, so even though I get a deep fit, a lot of iems still end up sticking out. Anyone have any pics with them in the ear? Looking for the flushest fit I can find lol.
Thank again

Dec 15, 2019 at 10:53 AM Post #4,251 of 11,979
Hey all, sorry if these are dumb questions. I read through a bunch of pages but I am curious:
Is the S8 the same size and dimensions as the A8? I have not tried the A8 but since they’ve been out longer maybe I can see how those fit most people. I have trouble with iems sticking out pretty far in my ears. I have slightly large canals but the bowl of my ears are wide in diameter but really shallow, so even though I get a deep fit, a lot of iems still end up sticking out. Anyone have any pics with them in the ear? Looking for the flushest fit I can find lol.
Thank again
I think more users should post these pics so people have a good idea of how they fit.

Dec 16, 2019 at 8:54 AM Post #4,255 of 11,979
I'm absolutely in love with the Kxxs....my first pair of non budget chi-fi. I prefer listening to them over my 58x and X2 headphones! Two questions:

1) what could be the next step up iem with a similar balanced tuning....must have at least as good sound stage?

2) some people have commented that the Kxxs responds well to tuning..... Does anyone have or has anyone found a EQ profile for the Kxxs?

Thanks in advance!

Dec 16, 2019 at 9:44 AM Post #4,256 of 11,979
I'm absolutely in love with the Kxxs....my first pair of non budget chi-fi. I prefer listening to them over my 58x and X2 headphones! Two questions:
1) what could be the next step up iem with a similar balanced tuning....must have at least as good sound stage?
2) some people have commented that the Kxxs responds well to tuning..... Does anyone have or has anyone found a EQ profile for the Kxxs?
Thanks in advance!

I was in the same position as you with the Moondrop Kanas Pro about 10 months ago and did a lot of research, discussions and testing.
Among that I had the opportunity to spend 7 hours at e-earphones in Tokyo where I listened to various candidates and TOTLs.
This also gave more confidence in and understanding of Crinacle's IEM ranking list, which I find hugely useful.

IMO the 2 direct upgrades from the Moondrop IEM would be the Tanchijm Oxygen and the JVC FDX1
I only briefly heard the Oxygen, but it has an impeccable reputation for being an extremely balanced IEM and has a virtually identical signature to the KXXS.

I personally went for the JVC FD02 with a tape mod to tame the upper mid energy, and the FDX1 should be very similar with the advantage of coming with 3 nozzles with different damping.
Without damping it will be a little brighter, with the stronger damping a little warmer than the KXXS.
Mostly the JVC improves speed and texture in bass, has better mid-bass, a slikier treble and better timbre compared to my Kanas Pro.
I am so fond of this IEM that I also ordered the FDX1 to compare to my modded FD02 and have the 3 nozzles for adjusting.
Disadvantage of the FDX1 is that this one is only available on Drop and you need to wait for a batch.

The other IEM I got since then is an Astell & Kern T8iE MKII and I have to say that is another level altogether.
Detail, clarity, speed, a natural balance and very precise sound stage are excellent. These are very easy to like, a bit warmer, but very realistic. They do need a good source though to bring out all the quality.
And aside from SQ they are also extremely comfortable to wear, just a little tricky to get the special tips to sit just right and seal well.
I paid $550 for a used pair in basically mint condition, which was a big step up in cost for me, but they also are an equally big step up in quality, and I never regretted this purchase.
So looking into some used higher end IEM can also be an excellent option.

But the Moondrop KPE was really the first step into this high SQ IEM world and a great value.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2019 at 10:42 AM Post #4,257 of 11,979
Fantastic answer, thank you!

From what I have read the oxygens are quite similar, and more of a sibling than a step-up parent.

The A&K are well outside of my price range, especially now that I have just purchased the clearance Koss electrostatics on drop, lol.

The JVC I shall keep an eye out for on drop. Thanks!

I was in the same position as you with the Moondrop Kanas Pro about 10 months ago and did a lot of research, discussions and testing.
Among that I had the opportunity to spend 7 hours at e-earphones in Tokyo where I listened to various candidates and TOTLs.
This also gave more confidence in and understanding of Crinacle's IEM ranking list, which I find hugely useful.

IMO the 2 direct upgrades from the Moondrop IEM would be the Tanchijm Oxygen and the JVC FDX1
I only briefly heard the Oxygen, but it has an impeccable reputation for being an extremely balanced IEM and has a virtually identical signature to the KXXS.

I personally went for the JVC FD02 with a tape mod to tame the upper mid energy, and the FDX1 should be very similar with the advantage of coming with 3 nozzles with different damping.
Without damping it will be a little brighter, with the stronger damping a little warmer than the KXXS.
Mostly the JVC improves speed and texture in bass, has better mid-bass, a slikier treble and better timbre compared to my Kanas Pro.
I am so fond of this IEM that I also ordered the FDX1 to compare to my modded FD02 and have the 3 nozzles for adjusting.
Disadvantage of the FDX1 is that this one is only available on Drop and you need to wait for a batch.

The other IEM I got since then is an Astell & Kern T8iE MKII and I have to say that is another level altogether.
Detail, clarity, speed, a natural balance and very precise sound stage are excellent. These are very easy to like, a bit warmer, but very realistic. They do need a good source though to bring out all the quality.
And aside from SQ they are also extremely comfortable to wear, just a little tricky to get the special tips to sit just right and seal well.
I paid $550 for a used pair in basically mint condition, which was a big step up in cost for me, but they also are an equally big step up in quality, and I never regretted this purchase.
So looking into some used higher end IEM can also be an exceelent option.

But the Moondrop KPE was really the first step into this high SQ IEM world and a great value.

Cheers!

Dec 16, 2019 at 4:05 PM Post #4,260 of 11,979
Yup, that's my impression too. Being extremely happy with the KPE, if I had the cash and wanted an upgrade I'd just go for the blessing, which also has a Harman tuning but with premium BAs.
IME BAs arn't better than dynamic. Over years of listenjng to BA iems, I'm preferring dynamic driver sound. BA tends to have a more vivid and brighter upper frequency sounds that generally come off unnatural in qualities. KPE sounds quite natural in comparison to many BA iems I've heard.

Vocals and instrumental timbre sounds so natural. BA usually don't provide that. I'm driving my KPE out of a good sounding source with a strong drive, which makes a bit of a difference in the performance I get out of the KPE.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back