Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Jun 16, 2019 at 1:08 AM Post #3,136 of 11,980
Hey guys! Here is my Moondrop KXXS review for whoever is interested.

Let me know if you have any questions for me.
Cheers! :)

KXXS 1.jpg KXXS 2.jpg KXXS 3.jpg KXXS 4.jpg KXXS 5.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2019 at 1:30 AM Post #3,137 of 11,980
Since you have S8F and KPE, and will be getting DM7. What's your opinion on the difference between KPE and S8F? Im waiting for my DM7 from Amazon currently and own a KPE. Also tempted to get S8f/pro but i dont whether it's a good choice or not. I love soundstage and details.
Sorry for the late - and what is sure to be incomplete - response...!

A few things to note...

- These are old notes when I was doing some light A/B testing on several of my IEMs a few months ago. Used “Money for Nothing” as the test track; like I said very light A/B.
- My ears are mid-50s, so for what it is worth there will be some frequencies I don’t hear as well, if at all
- My source is highest quality on Qobuz playing from my R6 Pro
- All cables swapped out for Linsoul balanced
- Did my best to volume match the IEMs, more to (a) see what was more or less easy to drive, and what was susceptible to show hiss out of the R6 Pro due to sensitivity

KPE
- Volume 26, no hiss
- De-peeled Symbio W tips
- Crunchy guitar at beginning - considerable texture/crunchy, nice reverb to the sound (more realistic and detailed guitars than the S8F)
- Vocals - just a bit recessed, closer to the front than the S8F just behind instruments
- Treble - treble a bit more pronounced than the S8F
- Overall Brightness - to me neutral (not bright, not dark)
- Note the Cymbals at 2:30-3:20 are quite noticeable
- Bass & sub bass - ok, more extended than S8F
- very heavy, very long stem, makes these less comfortable and more likely to need constant fiddling with to keep in place and to get good seal with (though I definitely did get good seal)

S8F
- Volume 21, very noticeable hiss - much more sensitive than KPE (and the others I tested)
- Stock (blue spiral) tips
- Crunchy guitar at beginning - some texture/crunch, but smoother and less reverb than the KPE
- Vocals - close to the front, just behind instruments, slightly back of KPE
- Brightness - neutral (not bright, not dark)
- Cymbals 2:30-3:20 don’t notice them, sort of just blend in...
- Bass & sub bass - behind KPE
- Awesome build, very comfortable. No issues with seal

Overall
- The KPE are more detailed sounding to me on this one track.
- The vocals/mids of the KPE sound slightly less recessed than the S8F (though I don’t think either sound to me particularly recessed).
- I think there is slightly more bass extension to the KPE over the S8F.
- Interestingly, the S8F gave off a sense of greater presence, not sure how else to say it.
- While technically I awarded more points to my KPE, I reach for the S8F when I want to treat myself.
- and, of course, you may come to exactly the opposite conclusions for yourself! :)

Here were the IEMs I was comparing at the time (left to right - TSMR-3 Pro, IMR R1 Zenith, S8F, DM6, and KPE)

BB4A9F11-EFCF-4CA4-80CB-AB73CB3AED8D.JPG

Jun 16, 2019 at 1:38 AM Post #3,138 of 11,980
Jun 16, 2019 at 2:29 AM Post #3,140 of 11,980
Jun 16, 2019 at 3:30 AM Post #3,143 of 11,980
For those who have A8 here, which kind of cable you think will work best with A8? Silver, copper, silver plated copper, or gold plated copper?
I've been reading the following from a singapore seller that:
silver is the brightest but makes treble and high more pronounced.
Copper will bring mid and bass boost while tone down treble.
Silver plates copper will be similar to copper with slight better treble extension
Gold plated silver will be like silver with slight help on extra low freq due to higher resistance of gold and help tp further prevent corrosion.
Link is below:
http://store.treoo.com/services/audioguide/a-guide-to/custom-cables.html
I've been using lyre acoustic violet for a month. It makes a8 sounds fuller than with pansy. Its pure copper.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2019 at 4:39 AM Post #3,145 of 11,980
Great review. Do you have any experience with Acoustune? I demoed the 1650cu and I cannot stop thinking about it. I wonder if KXXS can fill that gap.

Hey! Sadly I haven't tried 1650U but my friend @superuser1 has and he liked it a lot. I think KXXS should work well for most but the only way of knowing is by trying it yourself. :D

Jun 16, 2019 at 4:53 AM Post #3,146 of 11,980
Great review. Do you have any experience with Acoustune? I demoed the 1650cu and I cannot stop thinking about it. I wonder if KXXS can fill that gap.

You can ask @audio123 since he has 1650cu and many chifis, Kanas Pro, Oxygen and No3 TI, i think he haven't got KXXS yet but from my opinion 1650cu is on different level. From what i read and understanding, KXXS is refinement of KP and not significant upgrade. but i could be wrong i dont have KXXS, only KP here.

Jun 16, 2019 at 4:58 AM Post #3,147 of 11,980
You can ask @audio123 since he has 1650cu and many chifis, Kanas Pro, Oxygen and No3 TI, i think he haven't got KXXS yet but from my opinion 1650cu is on different level. From what i read and understanding, KXXS is refinement of KP and not significant upgrade. but i could be wrong i dont have KXXS, only KP here.
You are definitely right on that. From my brief memory of KXXS, the Acoustune HS1650CU is just on different level. Cheers! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back