Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Jun 15, 2019 at 2:06 PM Post #3,121 of 11,979
i don't think DM7 is that good tbh, better than kanas but no way its better than blessing or A8 (in term of technicalities)

they are deffo a good keeper tho.

if they make solis a sub 1k i would be very surprised.
i would say "better" in a way of sound signature. I've been in $1000 to $3000 headphones market. Most of them has the same SQ except having different signature. I guess just try them all and keep the one you love the most. I might be selling my kanas pro if I like DM7. Still waiting for it, bought it from Amazon.

Jun 15, 2019 at 2:18 PM Post #3,122 of 11,979
I thought my A8 sounded off after a couple days of listening. Turns out that I’d set my ES100 to the 1-ohm output impedance setting for use with the Andromeda and forgotten to change it back. Even with the A8’s 32-ohm impedance, a source with a 1-ohm OI is enough to noticeably skew the sound signature, adding enough treble to mask the midrange and bury vocals under tizz. This is pickier with sources than I’d thought.

But at 0.5 ohm OI, it makes the Elex sound lo-fi and detail-free. The A8’s timbre is, annoyingly, somewhat dry and brittle because of the dipped lower mids and almost-Beyer treble peak, but switching to anything else makes me realize how good I have it.
wait, how u change that?

Jun 15, 2019 at 2:32 PM Post #3,123 of 11,979
Jun 15, 2019 at 2:33 PM Post #3,124 of 11,979
KXXS vs Kanas Pro
KXXS has fuller vocals and sounds more polite than the Kanas Pro. One major complaint I had with Kanas Pro was the thin sounding female vocals. I think the KXXS fixed this issue by fine tuning the harmonic frequencies in the higher frequency range because the vocal placement seems to be similar but female vocals sounds fuller. There is also more air and sparkle on the KXXS due to this change in tuning. However with the change in higher frequency also means that I tend to lower volume slightly when A/Bing the KXXS from the Kanas Pro and that made the bass feel more polite on the KXXS. Overall the KXXS and Kanas Pro resolution is very good, comparable to the Sennheiser IE 40 Pro, but is not it's strongest suit.

I found an interview with The Boss of This Thread (not my video, turn on English subtitles)

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2019 at 2:39 PM Post #3,125 of 11,979
i would say "better" in a way of sound signature. I've been in $1000 to $3000 headphones market. Most of them has the same SQ except having different signature. I guess just try them all and keep the one you love the most. I might be selling my kanas pro if I like DM7. Still waiting for it, bought it from Amazon.

tons of audio gear are getting on this harman like train

hopefully u like DM7 they are great!

Jun 15, 2019 at 4:14 PM Post #3,127 of 11,979
tons of audio gear are getting on this harman like train

hopefully u like DM7 they are great!
have u tried DM7? what's the biggest difference between KPE and DM7?

Jun 15, 2019 at 4:22 PM Post #3,128 of 11,979
The A8 is NOT dry and brittle.
Question for you... I am in the drop for the A8. I already have (amongst quite a few others) the S8F, KPE, and soon the DM7. Do you think the SQ / signature of the A8 is worth investing the $530 the drop is asking for or not? I still have a little time to back out

Jun 15, 2019 at 4:34 PM Post #3,129 of 11,979
I thought it was just me but i thiught the kz zs5 v1s were amazing at staging. I think you had the same experience too im guessing?
I have zs5 v1, it's freaking HUGE soundstage for an IEM. The only downside is peaky treble. Im okay with its bass even some of users said the bass is recessed. It's good enough for me. Im the one who likes bigger sounds to feel free and airy.

Jun 15, 2019 at 4:36 PM Post #3,130 of 11,979
I was teached to write You with capital letter long time ago and been using it like that. Sorry if I insulted someone or something with that! To me it is just being polite when writing to someone this way.

Hey thanks for the kind reply!
Interesting perspective. Hard to read tone sometimes. Otherwise I appreciate your comments here. Cheers

Jun 15, 2019 at 4:36 PM Post #3,131 of 11,979
Question for you... I am in the drop for the A8. I already have (amongst quite a few others) the S8F, KPE, and soon the DM7. Do you think the SQ / signature of the A8 is worth investing the $530 the drop is asking for or not? I still have a little time to back out
Since you have S8F and KPE, and will be getting DM7. What's your opinion on the difference between KPE and S8F? Im waiting for my DM7 from Amazon currently and own a KPE. Also tempted to get S8f/pro but i dont whether it's a good choice or not. I love soundstage and details.

Jun 15, 2019 at 10:19 PM Post #3,132 of 11,979
KXXS vs Kanas Pro
KXXS has fuller vocals and sounds more polite than the Kanas Pro. One major complaint I had with Kanas Pro was the thin sounding female vocals. I think the KXXS fixed this issue by fine tuning the harmonic frequencies in the higher frequency range because the vocal placement seems to be similar but female vocals sounds fuller. There is also more air and sparkle on the KXXS due to this change in tuning. However with the change in higher frequency also means that I tend to lower volume slightly when A/Bing the KXXS from the Kanas Pro and that made the bass feel more polite on the KXXS. Overall the KXXS and Kanas Pro resolution is very good, comparable to the Sennheiser IE 40 Pro, but is not it's strongest suit.

I found an interview with The Boss of This Thread (not my video, turn on English subtitles)

Your description of KXXS seems similar to what i hear from No3 on upper mids, thicker vocals, more sparkles, but No3 has punchy bass along with it.
Is the bass on KXXS lower than Kanas Pro?

Jun 15, 2019 at 11:18 PM Post #3,133 of 11,979

I’m the guy who complained about the A8’s timbre. When I say the A8 sounds off, I mean relative to an real live performance. I still prefer the A8’s tonality and timbre to the Elex’s (drier, harsher and more distracting, muddier, more metallic and less sweet, lacking in treble detail), Sundara’s (lacking vocal weight, more sibilant, light on detail for a bright headphone), etc. Even the Andromeda has mushy treble and an unrealistic underwater-sounding timbre.

The A8 has the kind of tonally balanced, well-rounded sound that you can hand either to your local financially irresponsible hi-fi nerd or to your friend who thinks $50 earbuds are a total ripoff, and both of them will find it enjoyable for their own reasons. Personally, I’d advise appreciating what you already own rather than adding yet another high-end chi-fi IEM to your collection, but if you don’t feel that any of your current IEMs fill that niche, the A8 might work for you.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2019 at 12:21 AM Post #3,134 of 11,979
For those who have A8 here, which kind of cable you think will work best with A8? Silver, copper, silver plated copper, or gold plated copper?
I've been reading the following from a singapore seller that:
silver is the brightest but makes treble and high more pronounced.
Copper will bring mid and bass boost while tone down treble.
Silver plates copper will be similar to copper with slight better treble extension
Gold plated silver will be like silver with slight help on extra low freq due to higher resistance of gold and help tp further prevent corrosion.
Link is below:
http://store.treoo.com/services/audioguide/a-guide-to/custom-cables.html

Jun 16, 2019 at 12:41 AM Post #3,135 of 11,979
Ignore all that and get yourself a good quality copper cable. Copper is the best conductor, and will make your earphones sound the way they were intended to sound.

If you want to save some cash, visit this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

• W41N
Back