Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
May 17, 2019 at 7:15 PM Post #2,581 of 12,007
From what I gather (people needing to mod the FD02) and knowing a bit JVC's house sound by having the FX-850, it's likely the upper midrange is quite aggressive with the FD02 whereas it's relaxed with Oxygen, a bit more so than KP, Oxygens don't feel like they lack air or clarity however.

I own both KPE and FD02 and it is true that FD02 are mostly better (other then soundstage) but they have hot HF which to extent can be tempered with simple mod but it will keep biting you on recordings with open HF no matter what. It will be just less of a problem. Saying this I cannot recommend them even though other than above they fix all the shortcomings of KPE. Especially if Oxygens are supposed to be the golden bullet.

What I like about KPE is that their not fatiguing nature allows long sessions without being tiring. What I do not like is terrible suck out in upper bass and lower mids region. In effect I listen the least of them even tough they are such nice IEM with such perfect fit for my ear canals.

Cheers

Last edited:
May 18, 2019 at 8:12 AM Post #2,583 of 12,007
Went to Beijing Headphone Expo today.
the newest version of Solis sounds good generally.very transparent,detailed in the treble.but a little bright.much less bass than A8.
and Chaconne(the name of the 2nd generation of liebesleid) is also exhibited.the treble is a little recessed for me, but the low and mids are good.They are sill working on it,so the final version may be different.
the Reference 3rd generation will be delayed.they think there's still some possibility to make improvements.

May 18, 2019 at 8:46 AM Post #2,584 of 12,007
I own both KPE and FD02 and it is true that FD02 are mostly better (other then soundstage) but they have hot HF which to extent can be tempered with simple mod but it will keep biting you on recordings with open HF no matter what. It will be just less of a problem. Saying this I cannot recommend them even though other than above they fix all the shortcomings of KPE. Especially if Oxygens are supposed to be the golden bullet.

What I like about KPE is that their not fatiguing nature allows long sessions without being tiring. What I do not like is terrible suck out in upper bass and lower mids region. In effect I listen the least of them even tough they are such nice IEM with such perfect fit for my ear canals.

Cheers
Yep. I wish they had more upper bass and lower mids. They can be non forgiving sometimes though. The upper treble peak shows its presence on some songs. Apart from that, they are smooth.
I will order the oxygens soon.

May 18, 2019 at 12:43 PM Post #2,585 of 12,007
I own both KPE and FD02 and it is true that FD02 are mostly better (other then soundstage) but they have hot HF which to extent can be tempered with simple mod but it will keep biting you on recordings with open HF no matter what. It will be just less of a problem

@sebna
PM me - the FD02 should not be bright with the taped vent. They are more tame than the KPE both in upper mids and treble spikes.
Soundstage depends a lot on the cable. KPE is more “holographic” from what I remember, FD02 more accurate and with more precise positioning with the Nobunaga Yuzen cable. Cheers!

May 18, 2019 at 2:18 PM Post #2,587 of 12,007
Of course the KPE's long stems create problems of their own.
I don`t still understand why ppl say KPE nozzles are very long and thik when they are basically same as ZSN and nobody whines about their nozzle?
KPE nozzles just look like they are long and think, but they are just average/normal, imho.

May 18, 2019 at 3:52 PM Post #2,588 of 12,007
I don't have any problem with the nozzles either. KPEs are quite comfy for me.

May 18, 2019 at 6:16 PM Post #2,589 of 12,007
I don`t still understand why ppl say KPE nozzles are very long and thik when they are basically same as ZSN and nobody whines about their nozzle?
KPE nozzles just look like they are long and think, but they are just average/normal, imho.
Never tried any ZSN. I have lots of iems (from Westone, Shure, Fearless, BGVP, IMR, and many others). The KPE seem very long. Also the extremely heavy IEM creates quite a lever action with a heavy weight on one end of that long stem, making it difficult for some people to get them to stay in place and maintain a good seal.

I have no doubt that your experience is different. But just because it is different doesn't mean that others don't have a valid point.

May 18, 2019 at 6:47 PM Post #2,590 of 12,007
Never tried any ZSN. I have lots of iems (from Westone, Shure, Fearless, BGVP, IMR, and many others). The KPE seem very long. Also the extremely heavy IEM creates quite a lever action with a heavy weight on one end of that long stem, making it difficult for some people to get them to stay in place and maintain a good seal.

I have no doubt that your experience is different. But just because it is different doesn't mean that others don't have a valid point.
i had the same experience with the KP, what solved the problem was cable with tighter ear hooks and tips with more grip, easy

May 18, 2019 at 7:13 PM Post #2,591 of 12,007
31_female_ears.jpg

I was trying to find an old picture of a bunch of CIEMs' ear impressions which change drastically from one to one but I think this pic shows the point well too. The KPE fits like a glove to me but it's not rare to see people having fit issues (well for all universal IEMs actually -- even the ZS3/4 which is the comfiest for me however it just doesn't fit for some). It's the perfect case that YMMV.

May 18, 2019 at 7:30 PM Post #2,592 of 12,007
31_female_ears.jpg

I was trying to find an old picture of a bunch of CIEMs' ear impressions which change drastically from one to one but I think this pic shows the point well too. The KPE fits like a glove to me but it's not rare to see people having fit issues (well for all universal IEMs actually -- even the ZS3/4 which is the comfiest for me however it just doesn't fit for some). It's the perfect case that YMMV.
Yup, spot on. One size does not always fit all. And that chart only shows the outer ear shape differences. Throw in ear canal differences, and it is no wonder some love the fit of a particular IEM, and others do not.

I also think that the impression/issue of the KPE fit some have is exacerbated by the heavy IEM, whereas a lighter IEM may give a different impression, even with the same stem length.

I should add that I love my KPE, but I had to learn to love it and find the right tips and insertion technique for me. Others may not be as lucky, or dislike having to go through any trouble. Have heard the same story about the Oxygen - easily fits some and they like the fit, doesn't fit others or they gave up, and yet others have found through trial and error how to make it work for them.

Last edited:
May 18, 2019 at 7:31 PM Post #2,593 of 12,007
Here is last update on my KPE measurement (this time correctly from HO with low output impedance):
9940541_l.jpg

May 19, 2019 at 2:56 AM Post #2,594 of 12,007
Any impressions of the KXXS yet? What are the „improvements“ over the Kanas pro?

May 19, 2019 at 4:06 AM Post #2,595 of 12,007
Here is last update on my KPE measurement (this time correctly from HO with low output impedance):
9940541_l.jpg

KZ ZS10 Pro FR graph looks similar with this. just saying Coil, don't get flamed out of nowhere lol.

Any impressions of the KXXS yet? What are the „improvements“ over the Kanas pro?

On second queue here!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back