Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
May 21, 2019 at 12:03 PM Post #2,611 of 12,009
It's high up, perhaps at 12kHz or even higher, it shows on cymbals on some rock tracks depending on how they are mastered. I can't use KP on my rock playlists because of it.

Tell me the song and time stamps, I'll check both for you.

I think we're going to go back and forth on this a few times. How about a PM? Works?

May 21, 2019 at 12:06 PM Post #2,612 of 12,009
Or I could also put it as - If you are extremely satisfied with Kanas Pro's sound, you wouldn't really like any changes now, will you? Haha :wink:

I find the lower midrange of KP a bit too thin. I hoped that KxxS would have a little bit more meat there but it doesn't seem to be the case unfortunately.

May 21, 2019 at 12:08 PM Post #2,613 of 12,009
It's high up, perhaps at 12kHz or even higher, it shows badly on cymbals on some rock tracks depending on how they are mastered. I can't use KP on my rock playlists because of it.
Cymbal attack depends on mastering is right. I've heard mastering with smeared cymbals. Good jazz recordings tend to have good cymbal attacks and decay.

May 21, 2019 at 12:13 PM Post #2,614 of 12,009
Tell me the song and time stamps, I'll check both for you.

I think we're going to go back and forth on this a few times. How about a PM? Works?

Thanks but I don't feel like picking the KP or listening to rock now.

May 21, 2019 at 12:17 PM Post #2,615 of 12,009
Cymbal attack depends on mastering is right. I've heard mastering with smeared cymbals. Good jazz recordings tend to have good cymbal attacks and decay.

Not really mastering specifically.

Well firstly, cymbals should have been recorded well with a suitable mic and good overhead mic placement. If they weren't recorded well or had a particular frequency piercing out, the mixing engineer should have EQ'ed them and fixed it. Even if the mixing engineer was an idiot and did not, the mastering engineer should definitely have. :wink:

But then some IEMs accentuate that part of the treble region badly (which is 7.5-12kHz) which would make majority of the cymbals which have that frequency band in dominance, troublesome.

Last edited:
May 21, 2019 at 12:25 PM Post #2,616 of 12,009
Not really mastering specifically.

Well firstly, cymbals should have been recorded well with a suitable mic and good overhead mic placement. If they weren't recorded well or had a particular frequency piercing out, the mixing engineer should have EQ'ed them and fixed it. Even if the mixing engineer was an idiot and did not, the mastering engineer should definitely have. :wink:

But then some IEMs accentuate that part of the treble region badly (which is 7.5-12kHz) which would make majority of the cymbals which have that frequency band in dominance, troublesome.
It's matter of symantics here. I'm talking about recording quality in general, I guess mastering isn't the precise term for it. By mastering, I mean the end result of the recording production, but I understand what you mean.

People can mistake the headphone causing the non-accurate result, but it can be the master itself.

Last edited:
May 21, 2019 at 12:29 PM Post #2,617 of 12,009
Mastering is the last production step where "effects" (EQ and compression mostly if I am not mistaken) are applied on the whole mix.

May 21, 2019 at 12:44 PM Post #2,618 of 12,009
Mastering is the last production step where "effects" (EQ and compression mostly if I am not mistaken) are applied on the whole mix.

Well EQ and compression are tricks used in mixing as well. Mastering isn't just final EQ and compression and the word 'effects' technically refers to stuff like delay and reverb.

Mastering is the final step making sure that the mix translates well to every setup. So you gotcha fix every problem the mix has using whatever technique you can to do it. Also the 'mix' track is actually quite low in volume as compared to the industry standard of a mastered track. So one of the main steps is called 'Limiting' which brings the mix track's RMS volume up to the industry standard RMS levels of a mastered track. But then again there are lots of creative ways to do that too than just depend on limiting to do all the work. :wink:

Sorry I got too deep and technical. As you probably can figure out, I do this professionally. :)

Last edited:
May 21, 2019 at 1:11 PM Post #2,619 of 12,009
Hey guys!
Whoever wants to know my 1st impressions on KXXS vs Kanas Pro (KP), here you go!

Fit - The KXXS shell is bigger than KP's and KXXS' fit is a bit more snug for my ears. The KXXS has a wider lip which stops the ear tips from going further in whereas the KP's lip is a bit problematic in comparison as the ear tips tend to slide further in. Check the image below.

FYI, I used
  • Same cable.
  • Same ear tips but in different color (as you can see in the picture).
  • Same source.
I also made it a point to level match the volume using a dBFS meter for precision. I use DAWs and a UAD Apollo audio interface for my tests, so I can make very small increments to make sure the levels are matched. Of course there will be a bit of tolerance error due to short ear memory time span while swapping the IEM earpieces.

Even though I tested them with my full test playlist, here are 3 songs from the current high on success artists Chainsmokers for ease, that you can refer while reading my comparison.

Chainsmokers - Somebody, Who Do You Love & This Feeling.

Sound Test - KXXS vs Kanas Pro

Let's starts by saying that KXXS and Kanas Pro have the same DNA, the same DLC dynamic driver. So they have the same sound framework and the differences are relative, like two sibling 2 years apart who have similar features. :wink:

Alright without further ado,
  1. KXXS has more clarity and snap in the 2-4kHz which gives acoustic guitars and vocals the crispness and raspiness I like. [Listen to the pre-chorus of Who Do You Love and This Feeling]
  2. Vocals have more individual clarity in KXXS than KP. [Vocals in all 3 songs]
  3. Drum tones sound equally good on both.
  4. I think, with the added clarity, KXXS has a wider soundstage.
  5. Overall KXXS has better separation between instruments. [All 3 songs have a lot of layers]
  6. KXXS has more sub-bass and overall more realistic feeling of bass impact. [Impact of the 808 sub-bass in the verse of 'Somebody', sub-bass in 'This Feeling' chorus and the buzzy bass in 'Who do you love']
  7. When the songs get chaotic with lots of layers all over the sound field, KXXS handles it a bit better than KP.
  8. Kanas Pro has * very slightly* more warmth in the lower mids. KXXS has better resolution and clarity in that region.
As a result, KXXS sounds a little more exciting in terms of energy with better resolution, even if it is just a smidgen, which gets me excited about the song. But honestly there is no denying the fact that the Kanas Pro is still an excellent IEM, being offered at a great price, and I would've been very happy with just the KP even if I didn't have this lucky opportunity of trying out the new KXXS.

But for me, KXXS wins and I'd choose it over Kanas Pro. :D

*Full review coming soon!*

Hey! I also updated that sentence to be more specific. Thanks for making me realize I could explain it better.
But still not better and "upgrade" many hoped from KXXS. Talking about lower-mids.
I find the lower midrange of KP a bit too thin. I hoped that KxxS would have a little bit more meat there but it doesn't seem to be the case unfortunately.
Despite I`m 100% pleased with KPE... going to my desk setup, I understand what You mean. For me personally with my gear it is very very tiny "problem" and like KPE as it is. 30sec playtime coming from desk setup and I wont notice it anymore. I guess modified nozzle grills also make my KPE little better in that.
It's high up, perhaps at 12kHz or even higher, it shows badly on cymbals on some rock tracks depending on how they are mastered. I can't use KP on my rock playlists because of it.
Have You tried different tip placement on nozzle and deeper or shallower fit?
I listen lot of prog rock and to my ears, with my gear, cymbals are perfect, imho lifelike sounding.

About KXXS, more I read newer impressions, more I realize it wouldn`t be much of upgrade to me as it might sound very close to my modded KPE.
Probably Oxygen or something other would be better upgrade for me... but I don`t need one. Yet :)

Last edited:
May 21, 2019 at 1:22 PM Post #2,620 of 12,009
Have You tried different tip placement on nozzle and deeper or shallower fit?
I listen lot of prog rock and to my ears, with my gear, cymbals are perfect, imho lifelike sounding.

About KXXS, more I read newer impressions, more I realize it wouldn`t be much of upgrade to me as it might sound very close to my modded KPE.
Probably Oxygen or something other would be better upgrade for me... but I don`t need one. Yet :)

Well my friend whose ears I trust went to the Beijing Audio Exhibition 2 days back and heard both the Tanchjim Oxygen and KXXS and found KXXS to be 'almost like' Oxygen. :thinking:

Can anyone lend me the Oxygen? :joy:

May 21, 2019 at 2:56 PM Post #2,621 of 12,009
After reading so good things i ordered one, it arrived today and out of the box sounds pretty fantastic. I feel like though the separation of treble is a bit compressed which i think will open up after the recommended 100 hours of burn in.
I mainly bought this to use it in office and i like the pretty much like the sound, if I listen to music daily will it get burn in or i have to use those burn in tunes and 10hrrs a day daily?

Also need some recommendation on tips i dont know the bore size will SpinFit - CP145 fit? Thanks

May 21, 2019 at 3:31 PM Post #2,623 of 12,009
Hey guys!
Whoever wants to know my 1st impressions on KXXS vs Kanas Pro (KP), here you go!

Fit - The KXXS shell is bigger than KP's and KXXS' fit is a bit more snug for my ears. The KXXS has a wider lip which stops the ear tips from going further in whereas the KP's lip is a bit problematic in comparison as the ear tips tend to slide further in. Check the image below.

FYI, I used
  • Same cable.
  • Same ear tips but in different color (as you can see in the picture).
  • Same source.
I also made it a point to level match the volume using a dBFS meter for precision. I use DAWs and a UAD Apollo audio interface for my tests, so I can make very small increments to make sure the levels are matched. Of course there will be a bit of tolerance error due to short ear memory time span while swapping the IEM earpieces.

Even though I tested them with my full test playlist, here are 3 songs from the current high on success artists Chainsmokers for ease, that you can refer while reading my comparison.

Chainsmokers - Somebody, Who Do You Love & This Feeling.

Sound Test - KXXS vs Kanas Pro

Let's starts by saying that KXXS and Kanas Pro have the same DNA, the same DLC dynamic driver. So they have the same sound framework and the differences are relative, like two sibling 2 years apart who have similar features. :wink:

Alright without further ado,
  1. KXXS has more clarity and snap in the 2-4kHz which gives acoustic guitars and vocals the crispness and raspiness I like. [Listen to the pre-chorus of Who Do You Love and This Feeling]
  2. Vocals have more individual clarity in KXXS than KP. [Vocals in all 3 songs]
  3. Drum tones sound equally good on both.
  4. I think, with the added clarity, KXXS has a wider soundstage.
  5. Overall KXXS has better separation between instruments. [All 3 songs have a lot of layers]
  6. KXXS has more sub-bass and overall more realistic feeling of bass impact. [Impact of the 808 sub-bass in the verse of 'Somebody', sub-bass in 'This Feeling' chorus and the buzzy bass in 'Who do you love']
  7. When the songs get chaotic with lots of layers all over the sound field, KXXS handles it a bit better than KP.
  8. Kanas Pro has * very slightly* more warmth in the lower mids. KXXS has better resolution and clarity in that region.
As a result, KXXS sounds a little more exciting in terms of energy with better resolution, even if it is just a smidgen, which gets me excited about the song. But honestly there is no denying the fact that the Kanas Pro is still an excellent IEM, being offered at a great price, and I would've been very happy with just the KP even if I didn't have this lucky opportunity of trying out the new KXXS.

But as of now, I like KXXS a bit more than Kanas Pro. :D

*Full review coming soon!*

Well, it looks like the KXXS is drier than the KPEs from your impressions. I hoped they would fix the thin lower mids, but they didn't it seems. I will skip it.

Last edited:
May 21, 2019 at 4:05 PM Post #2,624 of 12,009
From what I've read, treble measurements above a certain frequency tend to be a bit all over the place in terms of accuracy. I tend to see the biggest differences in results of the same gear between testers usually above 8k, and I'm not exactly sure why.

May 21, 2019 at 4:42 PM Post #2,625 of 12,009
Pessoal alguém usa o Kanas Pro no smartphone, queria saber se o Hidizs Sonata HD Dac II ou o Fiio BTR3 já o conduz de forma satisfatória. Eu não quero usá-lo com um amplificador portátil.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back