Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Apr 7, 2019 at 6:08 PM Post #2,116 of 11,979
I see you have the HD 600 in your collection. Can you give me a brief comparison between the HD 600s and the KPE?
Well, I really have a hard time comparing over the ears with IEMs. The 600s have bigger sound stage and maybe, more of a scooped sound, larger sound anyways. I think the microdetail is about the same on both. I prefer the midrange of the KPE because it really sounds close to my JBL studio monitors w/ subwoofer. Still, its such a hard comparison. If I had to give some advice it would be to get the Sony EX800STs.

Apr 7, 2019 at 7:18 PM Post #2,117 of 11,979
Thank you for replying.
I am not looking for the HD 650 IEM version. As long as it is smooth and not dry sounding, I am good. Is it true that the mids on the KPE are on the dry side of the spectrum?

KPs are smooth and not dry for me, on a bit towards warm but only by little bit, actually they're sit on where the naturalness of warmth and details, mids are the best plus points of KP. They're not dry or analytical for me nor cold. HD650 if i'm not wrong, cause i don't have it anymore is more warm than KPE, but KP isn't dry. Some people maybe feel KP with just a little bit body to mids will be perfect, currently their mids are close to perfect if you get what i mean.

Do you have other iem? if you're coming from over ear heaphones, not only KP but all iem will be sounds much different. Definition of "large" soundstage in full sized headphone and iem is different too, you will need to adapt first. Although soundstage in KP is above average towards large in world of iem, they can't be compared to full size headphone of course.

Lush, musical and details KP have it all, and smooth from low end to highs, with massive sub bass like a subwoofer, but you may can feel lack of mid bass punch, but they responds very well to EQ. And "shrill" maybe at 2.5 khz /3 khz ( a lot of people sensitive to these range, including me) you may want to EQ them down.

The KPE is very EQable. I can get a massive low end with huge punch with some EQ, or leave it with no eq for a more polite and relaxed signature.

very very EQable, adding only 1db or cut it by 1db will make differences.

true, they take bass EQ like its noting

again this is true.

Thank you all for your suggestions. Sadly, none of these IEMs are available where I live.
I think I will pull the trigger on the KPE.

hopefully you'll like them :)

Well, I really have a hard time comparing over the ears with IEMs. The 600s have bigger sound stage and maybe, more of a scooped sound, larger sound anyways. I think the microdetail is about the same on both. I prefer the midrange of the KPE because it really sounds close to my JBL studio monitors w/ subwoofer. Still, its such a hard comparison. If I had to give some advice it would be to get the Sony EX800STs.

Yeah i agree, over ears can't be compared to iem, they sold for different purposes. Form factor tells all of us. 50mm drivers vs 10mm drivers, over the ears vs in ears, huge vs tiny. Over ears headphones (the good ones) definitely will have better soundstage, details, warmness, comfort, etc with trade off from their big form factor that not portable, and expensive.

EX800ST will be more warm than KP, you can read my comparison of KP and EX1000 in my review of KP, EX800 is more or less similar to EX800, just a bit more relaxed on highs (to be precise at 6khz and 8khz)

Apr 7, 2019 at 7:48 PM Post #2,119 of 11,979
So how do you tell the left from the right on the Aria's?
the cable holder / connector between shell and cable, for left unit, they have debossed stripe / line

edit : corrrected

51lDd0Az6CL._SX425_.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2019 at 1:51 AM Post #2,124 of 11,979
So i knocked Null Audio about their 2pin cables being compatible with the Kanas Pro and they said they should be, but not sure about the recessed socket. They said they'll test some moondrop IEMs in the coming weeks!! As far as I know their reputation in cable game is pretty good. I'll let you guys know if any update pops up. :)

Apr 8, 2019 at 8:17 AM Post #2,125 of 11,979
I bought the KPE today. I am listening to them while I type. The sound is very clear and detailed. Nice resolution(on par with my 650s). Sub bass is boosted with flat midbass and slightly recessed upper bass. The treble is very well controlled, it sounds almost relaxed despite having a huge peak in the very upper treble. I can hardly hear the spike, infact it gives an airy sound without sounding harsh.The mids are smooth with gobs of details. Upper mids are elevated while the lower mids are slightly recessed. Soundstage is wide with an okay depth. Imaging is sharp.
Unfortunately, they do sound slightly dry. I think it is because of the recessed upper bass and lower mids in comparison to elevated upper mids. Harmonics are more enhanced. Does it change after burn in? I don't think so. And no, they don't sound like my 650s. The only thing in common is smoothness.

Apr 8, 2019 at 11:59 AM Post #2,127 of 11,979
Yes, I do. They are very good for the price I paid. I will keep them.

Apr 8, 2019 at 12:51 PM Post #2,128 of 11,979
I bought the KPE today. I am listening to them while I type. The sound is very clear and detailed. Nice resolution(on par with my 650s). Sub bass is boosted with flat midbass and slightly recessed upper bass. The treble is very well controlled, it sounds almost relaxed despite having a huge peak in the very upper treble. I can hardly hear the spike, infact it gives an airy sound without sounding harsh.The mids are smooth with gobs of details. Upper mids are elevated while the lower mids are slightly recessed. Soundstage is wide with an okay depth. Imaging is sharp.
Unfortunately, they do sound slightly dry. I think it is because of the recessed upper bass and lower mids in comparison to elevated upper mids. Harmonics are more enhanced. Does it change after burn in? I don't think so. And no, they don't sound like my 650s. The only thing in common is smoothness.
Try some amping with slightly warmish source gear. Also put spacers on nozzle (to stop tips moving on nozzle and expand nozzle+tip length little) and use medium bore silicone tips (like stock tips). KPE is sensitive to source gear+amping and tips.
With my gear and for my ears they do not sound dry at all.
I have S''''' 4in1 which is most "dry" sounding chi-fi I have and it is more netural to my ears (with high-impedance cable) than KPE but boring and "dry" as hell.
Does it change after burn in? I don't think so.
Just curious - how many hours do You have on them?

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2019 at 1:29 PM Post #2,129 of 11,979
Try some amping with slightly warmish source gear. Also put spacers on nozzle (to stop tips moving on nozzle and expand nozzle+tip length little) and use medium bore silicone tips (like stock tips). KPE is sensitive to source gear+amping and tips.
With my gear and for my ears they do not sound dry at all.
I have S''''' 4in1 which is most "dry" sounding chi-fi I have and it is more netural to my ears (with high-impedance cable) than KPE but boring and "dry" as hell.
Thanks for the advice. They don't sound very dry, just slightly to my ears. Maybe I am spoilt by my HD 650s.
What tips are on by default?

Just curious - how many hours do You have on them?
7 hours. I don't believe in burn in much. Dynamic drivers just need 4-5 hours to loosen up and then they don't change much.
It's a different dynamic driver on the KPE. Maybe it needs more time. So I am keeping an open mind this time.

Apr 8, 2019 at 2:05 PM Post #2,130 of 11,979
Thanks for the advice. They don't sound very dry, just slightly to my ears. Maybe I am spoilt by my HD 650s.
What tips are on by default?

7 hours. I don't believe in burn in much. Dynamic drivers just need 4-5 hours to loosen up and then they don't change much.
It's a different dynamic driver on the KPE. Maybe it needs more time. So I am keeping an open mind this time.
7 hours is nothing, as you will find here main and final differences came after 70 80 hours so believe you or not you can try it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back