Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Mar 18, 2019 at 3:58 PM Post #1,666 of 12,007
How do you find the KP in terms of neutrality and evenness through the entire frequency range? I've been looking for an IEM in the $200 ish range that'll sound as close to my studio monitors and calibrated headphones, to use for quick mixing on the go, monitoring on stage and critical listening.
KP is not a studio monitor, it has some coloration, it is slight but it is there, if you want good studio monitor in ears check some Etymotics

Mar 18, 2019 at 4:25 PM Post #1,667 of 12,007
KP is not a studio monitor, it has some coloration, it is slight but it is there, if you want good studio monitor in ears check some Etymotics

I think ya'll need to define what a 'studio monitor' is - Do you mean what the musicians use or what the engineer uses to monitor the audio ?
Do you mean the mixing engineer or the recording engineer? / live work or post production?
From my POV I dont need anything special to simply monitor with :) - I do need certain characteristics for mixing and later on mastering . . .but for headphones those last 2 are a whole different conversation!

Mar 18, 2019 at 5:19 PM Post #1,668 of 12,007
The KPE sounds closer to my 8" JBL monitors along with a Bluesky studio 12" subwoofer. If you want something more lean, with little bass, the Etymotic are better. If you want a fuller sound, KPE is really good.

Mar 18, 2019 at 9:58 PM Post #1,669 of 12,007
The volume raising/SPL phenomenon is Fletcher-Munson curve. At lower levels, you will hear less bass and treble, and as you go up in volume, the bass and treble (to an extent) will sound more boosted. If you already have a V-shaped headphone, the bass and treble are already boosted and may become very "loud" as you go up in volume.

Mar 18, 2019 at 11:39 PM Post #1,670 of 12,007
Little comparison.

Source: G7Fit, tips Sony hybrid, 2 pin OCC cable

Music: some Yahel trakcs (especialy this simply track :Yahel & Tammy - Ocean, it shows how good imaging/holography has an earphone)

Kanas (sealed back vents)

Highs are better extended, more lively

Midrange more forwarded and richer

Lows are blured, more like in background, but better textured

Imaging is very good, soundstage is higher

C16

Highs are not so extended, and aren't that rich also

Midrange is not recesed, but not that rich

Lows hits harder, monotonic, more often bleeding on midrange or takes too much energy in track

More concentrated sound, clearer

Good imaging, soundstage is more concentrated (lower), reverbate is shorter

C16 in my opinion is good with very dense tracks, has good ability to spread it into pieces

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2019 at 12:00 AM Post #1,671 of 12,007
Little comparison.

Music: some Yahel trakcs.

Kanas (sealed vents)

C16

Lows hits harder, monotonic, more often bleeding on midrange or takes too much energy in track

C16 in my opinion is good with very dense tracks, has good ability to spread it into pieces

Is this Kanas Pro or regular Kanas?

So Kanas beats everything except in busy section track congestion is a bit better on c16?

Mar 19, 2019 at 12:14 AM Post #1,672 of 12,007
Is this Kanas Pro or regular Kanas?

So Kanas beats everything except in busy section track congestion is a bit better on c16?
Yes I think so.
I have regular Kanas. Lows in Kanas could be better. Sometimes I prefer bass in C16 in electro music, but it need to be tamed a little bit. For my taste C16 is made for this type of music. So it's reason for keep them for me.

And some picture :) :
10260398.jpg

Attachments

• 20190319_065924.jpg
    20190319_065924.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 19, 2019 at 12:41 AM Post #1,674 of 12,007
Don't want to deal with Ety fit, but I definitely plan to pick up an ER4XR in the distant future.
The first time I got it I use it less because the hassle yeah. But once I learned how to wear it fast once I get a seal I can wear it for a long time without needing to readjust the seal. Need to listen Etymotic once in your life haha.

Mar 19, 2019 at 5:03 AM Post #1,676 of 12,007
...I feel confirmation that the mid bass/lower mids are a bit subdued.
And I didn`t need to find that out with 5000$ IEMs :D ...used my own ears. Custom nozzle grills solved that minor tiny "issue" for me.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2019 at 7:27 AM Post #1,677 of 12,007
Little comparison.

Music: some Yahel trakcs (especialy this simply track :Yahel & Tammy - Ocean, it shows how good imaging/holography has an earphone)

Kanas (sealed back vents)

C16

Thanks for this. Good work.

Mar 19, 2019 at 11:07 AM Post #1,679 of 12,007
Yes I think so.
I have regular Kanas. Lows in Kanas could be better. Sometimes I prefer bass in C16 in electro music, but it need to be tamed a little bit. For my taste C16 is made for this type of music. So it's reason for keep them for me.

And some picture :) :
10260398.jpg

Hey, what's the name of the red tips? Are you using 3-flanges with your Ety?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back