Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Mar 16, 2019 at 2:07 AM Post #1,576 of 12,007
True, but I'd rather start with the most neutral one of the three and then pick up the others as funds permit, as secondary pairs.

If money isn't the issue and you want most neutral one then Kanas Pro is definitely superior than the rest.

Mar 16, 2019 at 4:11 AM Post #1,578 of 12,007
Thanks. I do read several posts here about the Kanas coming across as lean or thin in the midbass and low mid region, and that's something I do not want. What are your thoughts on this?

somehow is correct, its not lacking much, but adding just a bit mid bass to balance with their big sub bass suits my preference, about mid theyre not thin, its neutral with very good timbre and superb clarity, but with adden mid bass a bit will made mid has more body. They are responded very well with EQ, Im using EQ to add mid bass and sub bass just a bit like +2 or +3db only, and tame down upper mid on 2.5-3khz by 3db and all set. (Im using spiral dots also, which is make bass more textured but reducing its quantity, but a very clean quality, not big amount because of bloating inside the tips)

Mar 16, 2019 at 4:15 AM Post #1,579 of 12,007
While you're in the planning stages of this could you try to see if it would be possible to make multiple pairs for your fellow KPE head-fiers, with compensation of course.
Will see what I can do.
Come on dude, what if if I had Tanjchim Oxygen listed in my sig and after you see it when you ask me how they compare to KP I answer that, lol, I don't have them and just list them as a motivation to buy them. What would you think or say then? If you'd tell me that perhaps I should wait to have them before putting them in my sig or also write "thinking of buying" before them so you wouldn't waste your time asking, I'd answer you that people are acting weird and that I have nothing to prove and will buy them eventually... *** get a grip...
I`m sorry I wasted You time with my signature (though, You yourself wasted Your time about making such issue out of it). I changed my signature for You. I hope You are happy now.
You are comparing things that are far too different. I would never post gear that I don`t have in my signature and like I said, I don`t find it as issue as if I would make all remarks about my modded gear - it just wouldn`t fit in my signature and I like to keep signature line 2-rows long.

Mar 16, 2019 at 4:18 AM Post #1,580 of 12,007
:thumbsup:
Wow! Finally. So I've been on the hunt for some low/mid priced 'Chi-Fi' IEM's. I've been watching all the 'Hawaii Boy' YouTube videos! :wink: I have 3 pairs of higher priced IEM's I use with a WM1Z, Shure 946's, Campfire 'Andromeda', and Jerry Harvey 'Layla'. I enjoy each one of these, and they all have their +-'s, I'd say I use the 846's the most, not strictly on sound but for comfort too.

I started by ordering the DMG's. Didn't like them at all! Very 'smily faced' tuned. boosted lows, recessed mids, and the treble was very uneven and grainy. I sold them, as it takes 3-4 weeks for them to arrive by that time the DM6 video was up, and with the ton of 'hype' they received I figured they would be next. I was actually pretty pumped about these. 3 weeks later I was sorta let down. While they were much improved over the DMG's these suffered from boomy and bloated bass, which mad the mids not quite resolve as they should, also pushed back. The higs were a bit strong for my liking, but worse, my pair were extremely sibilant! To the point I had to listen a really low levels. I did give them the benefit of the doubt though. Changed the cable to a ALO reference 8, 'burned' them in for about 100hrs, and tipped rolled. So it helped a bit...Not to drag on, I just didn't care for their sound signature, fit and comfort were excellent, I also loved the wide soundstage. I ended up selling these too. I have always decided on a headphone and or IEM within a few minutes of listening, I know it's not ideal but in my opinion if you don't like the way they sound within a few minutes, usually nothing will change that that is my take on sound, pretty simple, I have purchased and kept most my gear on this principle.

I decided to give 'Chi-Fi' one more shot with the Kansas Pro's, having read they had a more natural sound stage, I'm also a fan of single dynamic drivers...So, 3 weeks later, I got to be honest I had low hopes, I had seen a few negative video reviews, although I don't pay much attention to them as everyone hears things differently, and have their preferences. I put on a track I had been listening to a lot of that day "White Water" by Pineapple Thief. Within the first 10 seconds I knew I would be keeping these, I was actually stunned with how good they sounded. I'm not the best at descriptions, so...They have a very neutral sound, not flat or dead though, extremely big and wide soundstage without loosing the center image, meaning hard panned guitars sounded very wide, but vocals, snare, bass guitar, and all non panned instruments are right were they should be and not lost. Bass is also very natural, has great dynamics and punch, even dipping great into sub bass rather efficiently. I use "Terminal" by O.S.I fantastic track with great bass, but also a lot of synth that moves back and forth (L to R) Mids are also very rich and smooth, not forward or back, right where they should be, being they don't have boosted mid bass, the 1-3k region sounds very even. Highs are perfect in my book, being I like laid back highs as the 846's have they seem to drop off at maybe 5k all the way to 8k or so, but 10-12k maybe they are boosted a bit giving a nice sparkle without being harsh, which the 846's lack. Absolutely no sibilance!

If I had to compare them with what I own, I'd say they are closest to the Campfire Andro's, obviously I need more listening time, but I think they my be slightly better overall.
Fit and comfort all also great, they have a slightly longer nozzle but don't fell like they are intruding. They are pretty heavy too, slightly more than the Shure and Campfire, but they stay in place rather well. I'm using the stock medium tips as of now, I'll change them up to see how that affects sound signature. The stock cable is very, very good, a ton better than the DM6 and light years better than the DMG"s! Actually is almost identical to the ALO ref 8 I have, the upside though is that it's not stiff like the ALO the ALO also has the worst microphonics of any cable I have. Humanity has never crafted a more microphonic cable! I need to do some research but I'm hoping I can find the same cable with a 4.4 balanced output, oh last thing. They are I believe an 30ohm IEM and need some decent power. My WM1Z has enough at low gain, typically I run it at 50-70 (at the highest) with all my other IEM's the Kansas I seem to be running at 70-90. High gain has plenty of power. These things sound amazing when cranked up! Good ol' dynamic drivers. :wink: Sorry for the long winded post, hope it helps some people that may be on the fence. So for $178 give or take, In my book these are a steal and a must. Cheers!

Thanks for this long winded post, one of the most fun and useful posts in this thread IMO! :thumbsup::thumbsup:
I think few of us are in the position to have such reference IEMs as you, and it‘s very interesting and reassuring to read that you are enjoying the KPE even compared to your Andromedas!
Great read! :thumbsup:

Mar 16, 2019 at 5:01 AM Post #1,581 of 12,007
Wow! Finally. So I've been on the hunt for some low/mid priced 'Chi-Fi' IEM's. I've been watching all the 'Hawaii Boy' YouTube videos! :wink: I have 3 pairs of higher priced IEM's I use with a WM1Z, Shure 946's, Campfire 'Andromeda', and Jerry Harvey 'Layla'. I enjoy each one of these, and they all have their +-'s, I'd say I use the 846's the most, not strictly on sound but for comfort too.

I started by ordering the DMG's. Didn't like them at all! Very 'smily faced' tuned. boosted lows, recessed mids, and the treble was very uneven and grainy. I sold them, as it takes 3-4 weeks for them to arrive by that time the DM6 video was up, and with the ton of 'hype' they received I figured they would be next. I was actually pretty pumped about these. 3 weeks later I was sorta let down. While they were much improved over the DMG's these suffered from boomy and bloated bass, which mad the mids not quite resolve as they should, also pushed back. The higs were a bit strong for my liking, but worse, my pair were extremely sibilant! To the point I had to listen a really low levels. I did give them the benefit of the doubt though. Changed the cable to a ALO reference 8, 'burned' them in for about 100hrs, and tipped rolled. So it helped a bit...Not to drag on, I just didn't care for their sound signature, fit and comfort were excellent, I also loved the wide soundstage. I ended up selling these too. I have always decided on a headphone and or IEM within a few minutes of listening, I know it's not ideal but in my opinion if you don't like the way they sound within a few minutes, usually nothing will change that that is my take on sound, pretty simple, I have purchased and kept most my gear on this principle.

I decided to give 'Chi-Fi' one more shot with the Kansas Pro's, having read they had a more natural sound stage, I'm also a fan of single dynamic drivers...So, 3 weeks later, I got to be honest I had low hopes, I had seen a few negative video reviews, although I don't pay much attention to them as everyone hears things differently, and have their preferences. I put on a track I had been listening to a lot of that day "White Water" by Pineapple Thief. Within the first 10 seconds I knew I would be keeping these, I was actually stunned with how good they sounded. I'm not the best at descriptions, so...They have a very neutral sound, not flat or dead though, extremely big and wide soundstage without loosing the center image, meaning hard panned guitars sounded very wide, but vocals, snare, bass guitar, and all non panned instruments are right were they should be and not lost. Bass is also very natural, has great dynamics and punch, even dipping great into sub bass rather efficiently. I use "Terminal" by O.S.I fantastic track with great bass, but also a lot of synth that moves back and forth (L to R) Mids are also very rich and smooth, not forward or back, right where they should be, being they don't have boosted mid bass, the 1-3k region sounds very even. Highs are perfect in my book, being I like laid back highs as the 846's have they seem to drop off at maybe 5k all the way to 8k or so, but 10-12k maybe they are boosted a bit giving a nice sparkle without being harsh, which the 846's lack. Absolutely no sibilance!

If I had to compare them with what I own, I'd say they are closest to the Campfire Andro's, obviously I need more listening time, but I think they my be slightly better overall.
Fit and comfort all also great, they have a slightly longer nozzle but don't fell like they are intruding. They are pretty heavy too, slightly more than the Shure and Campfire, but they stay in place rather well. I'm using the stock medium tips as of now, I'll change them up to see how that affects sound signature. The stock cable is very, very good, a ton better than the DM6 and light years better than the DMG"s! Actually is almost identical to the ALO ref 8 I have, the upside though is that it's not stiff like the ALO the ALO also has the worst microphonics of any cable I have. Humanity has never crafted a more microphonic cable! I need to do some research but I'm hoping I can find the same cable with a 4.4 balanced output, oh last thing. They are I believe an 30ohm IEM and need some decent power. My WM1Z has enough at low gain, typically I run it at 50-70 (at the highest) with all my other IEM's the Kansas I seem to be running at 70-90. High gain has plenty of power. These things sound amazing when cranked up! Good ol' dynamic drivers. :wink: Sorry for the long winded post, hope it helps some people that may be on the fence. So for $178 give or take, In my book these are a steal and a must. Cheers!

Great post, and you've touched upon some points of reference that are very familiar to me - OSI and The Pineapple Thief. Looks like we listen to a lot of similar music. I've also been looking at the Kanas Pro in my quest for a neutral, transparent IEM with good separation, imaging and isolation.

It looks like most people agree on the KP being largely neutral, but several find the mid-bass to lack body or punch. What are your thoughts on that?
Also, can you elaborate on what you meant with the highs dropping off at 5k - 8k? How much of a dip is this, and do you find it affects the neutrality of that general area?

Mar 16, 2019 at 9:55 AM Post #1,582 of 12,007
Another happy A8 owner here. These are beautiful. What a pleasant signature. What I can say is that they just tuned it right. Very very balanced with great levels of detail, texture and amazing tonal balance. Highs are among the best, similar to the king of highs for me, Earsonics S EM9. You can listen for hours without fatigue. Soundstage is above average in width and depth but not outstanding. Does not seem to be a BA bass neither DD. It's like an hybrid BA/DD bass driver if you understand me, punchy and clean. They have that analogue feel resulting in musicality and organic sound without being warm and keeping high levels of detail... A joy to listen..
Mids are clean and slightly boosted. Well, there is really nothing wrong with this IEM and this may be a problem for some if you like boosted bass, analytical sound or thick warm sound.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2019 at 10:55 AM Post #1,584 of 12,007
Mar 16, 2019 at 11:04 AM Post #1,585 of 12,007
I have weird small ear canals and I can shove that thing all the way in. Also I have an issue hearing my own body resonance in my ear canal.

Mar 16, 2019 at 11:09 AM Post #1,586 of 12,007
I have weird small ear canals and I can shove that thing all the way in. Also I have an issue hearing my own body resonance in my ear canal.

Glad it works out for you though! For me the JVC spiral dots with the mandarin Symbio W foam around the inner tube works the magic!

Mar 16, 2019 at 12:10 PM Post #1,588 of 12,007
Great post, and you've touched upon some points of reference that are very familiar to me - OSI and The Pineapple Thief. Looks like we listen to a lot of similar music. I've also been looking at the Kanas Pro in my quest for a neutral, transparent IEM with good separation, imaging and isolation.

It looks like most people agree on the KP being largely neutral, but several find the mid-bass to lack body or punch. What are your thoughts on that?
Also, can you elaborate on what you meant with the highs dropping off at 5k - 8k? How much of a dip is this, and do you find it affects the neutrality of that general area?

I find that the KP to be neutral with mid bass and sub bass with no EQ, for some (including myself) they could use a few db boost, I think I boost 60, 80, 120, give or take. They have pretty good 'kick' and ok 'body', I can only compare with what I have. out of the 4 IEM's I own the KP are the weakest in this area, also the weakest in terms of mid warmth, being they are tuned pretty neutral. So, that can be a plus or minus depending on what you are looking for. My preference are the 846's or Layla for their warmth and laid back highs. Speaking of highs, the KP are very similar to the Andro', they are both bright and have excellent detail, although I feel the Andro's are a bit more flat across that range, the KP seem to spike at 10 or 11k, maybe? still they are never harsh or sibilant. I get a good seal with the stock large tips, and medium SpinFits, the problem I have is with how long the nozzle is, It's a bit too long for them to set flush in side my ear and they don't secure well at all. This sucks because I purchased these for on the go athletic type situations like jogging, biking etc. So I may sell them, and goo back to the Shure 215's for on the got and keep searching. Cheers!

The 5-8k dip I was referring too is aimed at the 846's not the KP. The Shure's seem to start rolling off highs at the 5k mark, at least with the blue filters. Seems the KP are pretty even until they hit 10 or 11k, I perceive a pretty decent spike here.

Mar 16, 2019 at 1:45 PM Post #1,590 of 12,007
Same here! haha. I'm having a tough time getting a secure fit with how long the nozzle is, not to mention the weight of the IEM's. A lot heavier than my other IEM's. :frowning2:
If i could take nice fit from bgvp dm6 to kanas pro it would be amazing. The nozzle lengh seems the main reason why kanas pro is not so secure in ear. And this makes the seal more problematic. But their sounding is worth to try to find good tips. Why they made such long nozzle, do chinese have different ear kanals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back