Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Mar 13, 2019 at 8:56 AM Post #1,531 of 12,007
Nylon? Unfortunately no (at least on Aliexpress). Although, there are cotton-ish/paper-ish similar to the RE-400's filters option.
Isn't the red mesh of ZS3 and some old KZs nylon though? But since you're into DIY folding a thick square and using leather punch tool might be easier and cheaper haha.
Yeah but I wanted to test something that is available for everyone without DIY.
Unfortunately I have thrown away all my KZ nozzle grills.

Mar 13, 2019 at 9:52 AM Post #1,532 of 12,007
WUT?!? O_o
Of course I should have said very clearly ***in my experience *** (Edit: hmmm. That is exactly what I said). As an example the spinfit 145 I have, to my ears/hearing, brighten up the sound of the DM6 and Kanas Pro sets that I have. I will try to check my other new tips against a few of my iem sets with wide openings (DM6, KP, and MD+ for example, but won’t get into listing so as not to offend) to see if that is consistent, or if with more testing I change my mind.

(Edited for clarity) I am not surprised by your reaction, though. On DM6 thread, for example it has been reported that wide tip openings enhance bass/reduce treble for some listeners, and the opposite for other listeners. Seems very user dependent. I wouldn’t be surprised if your experience were different, nor would I be surprised if it were the same.

And, of course, cannot rule out the effects of tip insertion depth, and quality of seal.

(Edit: I haven’t experimented with this, but I assume there may be a relationship with the bore size of the iem - narrow bore IEMs like Shure and Westone may be less impacted by the tip opening size than wider bore IEMs like the Kanas Pro... further food for an experiment)

But, to my point, for those tips I did try on the DM6 and KP, definitely that was MY EXPERIENCE. Your experience, my dear sir, could be quite different, and upon more experimenting my own opinion may change, or be reinforced.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2019 at 11:39 AM Post #1,533 of 12,007
Of course I should have said very clearly ***in my experience *** (Edit: hmmm. That is exactly what I said). As an example the spinfit 145 I have, to my ears/hearing, brighten up the sound of the DM6 and Kanas Pro sets that I have. I will try to check my other new tips against a few of my iem sets with wide openings (DM6, KP, and MD+ for example, but won’t get into listing so as not to offend) to see if that is consistent, or if with more testing I change my mind.

Not surprised by your reaction, though. On DM6 thread, for example it has been reported that wide tip openings enhance bass/reduce treble or narrow tip openings reduce bass/enhance treble of that set. Seems very user dependent. I wouldn’t be surprised if your experience were different, nor would I be surprised if it were the same.

And, of course, cannot rule out the effects of tip insertion depth, and quality of seal.

(Edit: I haven’t experimented with this, but I assume there may be a relationship with the bore size of the iem - narrow bore IEMs like Shure and Westone may be less impacted by the tip opening size than wider bore IEMs like the Kanas Pro... further food for an experiment)

But, to my point, for those tips I did try on the DM6 and KP, definitely that was MY EXPERIENCE. Your experience, my dear sir, could be quite different, and upon more experimenting my own opinion may change, or be reinforced.

In this case both of you are correct, normally narrow bore tips are bloating the bass (or i just simply say adding the bass) but this is special case with spinfit, spinfits although they have narrow bore, they will reduce bass or make the bass very light. Thats why I never liked them

Mar 13, 2019 at 12:40 PM Post #1,534 of 12,007
In this case both of you are correct, normally narrow bore tips are bloating the bass (or i just simply say adding the bass) but this is special case with spinfit, spinfits although they have narrow bore, they will reduce bass or make the bass very light. Thats why I never liked them
There are so many variables at play when it comes to listening experiences... that’s why I try to preface my observations and comments with things like “in my experience” - no way I can project my experience onto others. I do like hearing the opinions and experiences of others as it often gives me ideas for further experimentation.

Mar 13, 2019 at 1:46 PM Post #1,535 of 12,007
I now have New Bee, Spinfit 145, and Final E tips, and waiting on the JVC spiral dots...

So far liking the New Bee the most as they have the biggest opening and are slightly longer for better insertion. All the tips fit on the Kanas Pro stem, but the other tips have a smaller opening for the sound which to me makes them just a bit brighter and tones down the bass - not what I was looking for... will keep experimenting with these, and the spiral dots when they arrive.
I''ve been wanting to try the New Bees. They seem to come only in a pack with different sizes. Are they not available otherwise? I just need smalls, likely.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2019 at 2:33 PM Post #1,536 of 12,007
I''ve been wanting to try the New Bees. They seem to come only in a pack with different sizes. Are they not available otherwise? I just need smalls, likely.
Great question, and I really don't know. I have only found the packs that have the 2 pairs each of small, medium, and large. I have the silicone and foam packs, and I do like them so far!

Mar 13, 2019 at 3:09 PM Post #1,537 of 12,007
Great question, and I really don't know. I have only found the packs that have the 2 pairs each of small, medium, and large. I have the silicone and foam packs, and I do like them so far!
Seems strange. We all just find the size that works and then keep buying those, sometimes In bulk if they work really well. I don'' t want to buy the set to just always chuck out the rest.

Mar 13, 2019 at 3:21 PM Post #1,538 of 12,007
Seems strange. We all just find the size that works and then keep buying those, sometimes In bulk if they work really well. I don'' t want to buy the set to just always chuck out the rest.
Agreed! I had the same reaction, but had seen enough positive feedback on these that I decided it was worth it to try the New Bees. They aren't too expensive, so there is that, but it is rather wasteful...

Mar 13, 2019 at 3:50 PM Post #1,539 of 12,007

Amazon Canada has all of them in different sizes. Here's a 12 pack of the mediums.
I'm planning to pick up the multi pack first and once i find which size fits I'll order a 12 pack of them. I hope they are as good as the foam tips that came with my Havi B3s because they fit perfectly and were easy to put on and take off with their smooth texture. I used to buy them separately for all my IEMs from Penon but they don't list them anymore.

https://www.amazon.ca/Earphone-New-...89011&th=1&psc=1#immersive-view_1552506485025

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2019 at 3:58 PM Post #1,540 of 12,007
Amazon Canada has all of them in different sizez. Here's a 12 pack of the mediums.
I'm planning to pick up the multi pack first and once i find which size fits I'll order a 12 pack of them. I hope they are as good as the foam tips that came with my Havi B3s because they fit perfectly and were easy to put on and take off with their smooth texture. I used to buy them separately from Penon but they don't list them anymore.

https://www.amazon.ca/Earphone-New-...89011&th=1&psc=1#immersive-view_1552506485025
Excellent! Thankyou.

Mar 14, 2019 at 5:02 AM Post #1,541 of 12,007
I would think that an inner diameter of 5.5mm (CP500 and CP155) are to wide for the KPE nozzle, which is 4.0mm on the outer nozzle ring. Everything else like form and shape and so on, might be too minimal to make a "big" difference.
Pardon but what did You use for measuring?
I get 5.1mm diameter for nozzle outer ring. I don`t belive Moondrop production has so large tolerance regarding magnesium-alloy shells.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2019 at 12:49 PM Post #1,543 of 12,007
I now have New Bee, Spinfit 145, and Final E tips, and waiting on the JVC spiral dots...

So far liking the New Bee the most as they have the biggest opening and are slightly longer for better insertion. All the tips fit on the Kanas Pro stem, but the other tips have a smaller opening for the sound which to me makes them just a bit brighter and tones down the bass - not what I was looking for... will keep experimenting with these, and the spiral dots when they arrive.

The Newbee pack I got had silicon and foam tips. The sound and isolation from the silicon tips I found to be really poor, I tried all the sizes. The foam tips were worse than the comply ones I got (for both sound and comfort) so I won't be using them much.

Meanwhile the spiral dots (medium) arrived last night. As a helpful user on here pointed out they slide up the nozzle so I cut the center out of a couple of the newbee silicon tips and used that to position them. I only listened to them for a few minutes but I think they might be a winner, sound quality was at least on par with the stock tips, maybe a bit less bass but detail retrieval was amazing. I'm not sure this is the right term but the music sounded crisper, drums in particular really stood out as being accurate. Need to do more comparison testing before I reach a conclusion but I think they are probably the best balance of comfort and sound quality. The main drawback of the comply tips is the length of time it takes to put them in (and get them settled) and I feel that I'm losing some of the detail in the highs.

I still haven't tried spinfit or symbio Ws but I think I've spent enough on small pieces of rubber and silicon for the time being, will stick with what I have.

TLDR: JVC spiral dots FTW!

Mar 14, 2019 at 3:14 PM Post #1,544 of 12,007
I got @paulindss' regular Kanas yesterday for a brief demo and it's been a good experience.

Overall I've found regular Kanas slightly better match for my music taste due to more forgiving tuning for old records and it has a punchier touch which is welcome for drums, it's not day and night difference though. A small thing but I also liked is the housing, let's say the KPE's sound aged like wine but the housing like cheese in my case due to living a tropical country, so the regular Kanas seems more durable in this aspect.

Mar 15, 2019 at 1:00 AM Post #1,545 of 12,007
if you have large size ear canals, i would recommend these :
final audio E type eartips size LL (small bore)
sony MH eartips size L (cant be bought separately) (small bore)
Radius deep mount size L (small bore, deep mount, one of a kind fit)
JVC spiral dots size ML / L (wide bore with spiral dots of course)

These are the tips that can fit me good with KPE and i have large ear canals.. and KPE really tips depending iem. small bores add bass, radius somehow adding treble a little bit than other small bore eartips mentioned above, and spiral dots reduce bass, but clear mids and high mids (i need to EQ 2.5-3khz down a bit by 2 or 3 db )
if you have large size ear canals, i would recommend these :
final audio E type eartips size LL (small bore)
sony MH eartips size L (cant be bought separately) (small bore)
Radius deep mount size L (small bore, deep mount, one of a kind fit)
JVC spiral dots size ML / L (wide bore with spiral dots of course)

These are the tips that can fit me good with KPE and i have large ear canals.. and KPE really tips depending iem. small bores add bass, radius somehow adding treble a little bit than other small bore eartips mentioned above, and spiral dots reduce bass, but clear mids and high mids (i need to EQ 2.5-3khz down a bit by 2 or 3 db )

I have the same problem and can’t get a seal with my KP.

Where do you buy these? I can’t find the first three on AE, EBay or Amazon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back