Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Mar 1, 2019 at 2:05 PM Post #1,321 of 11,996
:):gs1000smile::gs1000smile:Would appreciate some advice/feedback---I am considering buying either the Aria or the Crescent.
I have learned that for in ear monitors I can only wear customs ( have Lime Ear Aethers, Fibae Black on the way)
and in the in ear canal monitors ( just got AKR-02 and Flare Pros, omg)
I wanted to round out my collection with a nice in ear to use at work/playtime.
I know it is all subjective--but the Crescent intrigues me--only $ 30!
I was all set to get the Arias until I read some reviews on the Crescent----
Does anyone have both and make a recommendation? Forgive me if the question has already been asked--I did not read the entire thread--
Thanks in advance----:smile_phones::darthsmile::dt880smile::o2smile:

Mar 1, 2019 at 2:17 PM Post #1,322 of 11,996
Even if he said it's not that great. Kanas pro still sound close to the original recording. You guys realize that you need to hear his test with flat headphone right?
I'm using studio monitors with a studio subwoofer, JBL if you care.

Mar 1, 2019 at 2:20 PM Post #1,323 of 11,996
He is however not the first to find them bright or thin sounding - reading reviews mentioning that is the primary reason why I’m personally cautious about getting them so far. That and I haven’t seen comparisons to any headphones that I know well.

From what I heard in his recording, it’s sounded like they were generally very neutral, with a bit extra bass, and some treble sparkle - nothing too excessive or shrill, but it was definitely there.
But again nothing that would match the hyperbolic description he gave.

Truely, they sound almost nothing like his recording. Again this is why I don't like his reviews vs just whatever, he is actively discouraging people from buying good stuff. The upper treble on the KPE is articulate but no where what you hear in his demo. If you like good dynamic driver sound, they are top of the game, as good as anything else available.

Mar 1, 2019 at 2:50 PM Post #1,324 of 11,996
In the IryxBRO review of the Kanas Pro, he compared it with another dynamic driver iem, the Tanchjim Oxygen. By his words: "All pros of Kanas Pro should be multiplied while all cons should be removed to form and describe the sound of Tanchjim Oxygen". The user "HiFlight" confirmed it.
Someone else here has heard the Tanchjim Oxygen?

Mar 1, 2019 at 2:59 PM Post #1,325 of 11,996
In the IryxBRO review of the Kanas Pro, he compared it with another dynamic driver iem, the Tanchjim Oxygen. By his words: "All pros of Kanas Pro should be multiplied while all cons should be removed to form and describe the sound of Tanchjim Oxygen". The user "HiFlight" confirmed it.
Someone else here has heard the Tanchjim Oxygen?
yes, toranku - "I tried the Oxygen during Japan's portafes. Sound was shrill sounding with emphasis on upper midrange and treble."

Mar 1, 2019 at 3:00 PM Post #1,326 of 11,996
look at 3 different in ears measured, they all measure similar, also in the comments the responses are against his impressions and sound demo

I think I have done a review on the matter of an alleged "burn-in"... i don't want to be disrespectful, but do you really think that the sound changes after time? hahaha

The KP have a Very similar Frequency Response to the ones of The Crescent and Aria, that he showed and liked a Lot... I cannot understand What is really going on with that guy... My Soundmagic E10 really sounds nothing like the demo that he did. He Eq the demos to show how he hears the iems. Maybe the problem is with his ears (His own ears).

the KP have no dip in the lower mids/upper bass area, it is flat there and other measurements confirm that

His graph is with diffuse field compensation I believe, not raw. I have to wonder if he applied some correction or forgot to turn off the compensation when recording.... or like it was mentioned you have to make sure you listen with a flat headphone. When I have a chance I will have to pull out my neutral headphones and listen and see how it compares to my KPE. vvvvvv What @HAMS says.

Even if he said it's not that great. Kanas pro still sound close to the original recording. You guys realize that you need to hear his test with flat headphone right?

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2019 at 3:04 PM Post #1,327 of 11,996
:):gs1000smile::gs1000smile:Would appreciate some advice/feedback---I am considering buying either the Aria or the Crescent.
I have learned that for in ear monitors I can only wear customs ( have Lime Ear Aethers, Fibae Black on the way)
Does anyone have both and make a recommendation? Forgive me if the question has already been asked--I did not read the entire thread--

I have Crescent and Kanas Pros.
You can't go wrong with Crescent for the price. An absurd bargain and about 80% of KP quality (imo) at 20% of the price - and impressive out of the box. Just make sure, as always, that you get the right tips and source. Do I rec Crescent? At that price, oh yes.

Mar 1, 2019 at 3:12 PM Post #1,328 of 11,996
Mar 1, 2019 at 3:28 PM Post #1,330 of 11,996
Truely, they sound almost nothing like his recording. Again this is why I don't like his reviews vs just whatever, he is actively discouraging people from buying good stuff. The upper treble on the KPE is articulate but no where what you hear in his demo. If you like good dynamic driver sound, they are top of the game, as good as anything else available.

Dynamic drivers can’t sound a million different ways, at best, the only real generalizations you can make are that they are usually better at moving a lot of air, thus better for bass, and are usually slower than armatures... but as far as sound signature, you can have anything from a bright Sennheiser to a dark B&W.
And a lot of people to tend to like a little sparkle in the treble, or be so used to it that they entirely forget it’s there, which is what I’m worried about, as have no need for a V shaped in eat, I have my IE800 for that, I’m looking for something with a more neutral or even full/warm sound, and most importantly solid low end and detail retrieval

Mar 1, 2019 at 3:29 PM Post #1,331 of 11,996
He is however not the first to find them bright or thin sounding - reading reviews mentioning that is the primary reason why I’m personally cautious about getting them so far. That and I haven’t seen comparisons to any headphones that I know well.

From what I heard in his recording, it’s sounded like they were generally very neutral, with a bit extra bass, and some treble sparkle - nothing too excessive or shrill, but it was definitely there.
But again nothing that would match the hyperbolic description he gave.
I think Olav is compensating the curve on his end to try to get realistic sound on flat monitors on our end, has openly said he is not satisfied with results and will be stopping iem reviews partly because of this, along with finding most iems rather poor and getting frustrated, which I understand having purchased 7 of them in a row recently -- well reviewed -- and liking only one. A graph above was posted with a gargantuan 10k spike , which shows in his measurements as well of the KP. I certainly hear it.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2019 at 3:42 PM Post #1,332 of 11,996
L
I have Crescent and Kanas Pros.
You can't go wrong with Crescent for the price. An absurd bargain and about 80% of KP quality (imo) at 20% of the price - and impressive out of the box. Just make sure, as always, that you get the right tips and source. Do I rec Crescent? At that price, oh yes.

I know___$30 is an absurd price. I guess my hesitation is that yet another set of iems to enjoy takes away listening to all my other equipment. There are Way too many incredible earphone s, headphones, Dacs. Amps____
We are so spoiled with all the truly amazing audio equipment at ridiculously low pricing, considering
what they do and the mind blowing audio quality.

I keep saying--that's it---no more and then see all the amazing gear at relatively low cost.
Super fun hobby ----need to enjoy what I have and stop wanting the next new phenomenal product that seems to be coming out every day.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2019 at 4:14 PM Post #1,333 of 11,996
I like the Crescent better, richer and more easygoing than Aria.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back