Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Feb 13, 2019 at 4:36 AM Post #1,006 of 11,979
Well, if it's already your cup of tea and you think you can improve it, go ahead! But I'd be scared to mess it and also the resale value due to possible scratches. Judging by the eye it isn't that easy to open.
They said same about my modded IT01... :smirk: Ya`know... I`m "littlebit" experienced in doing mods :wink:

Feb 13, 2019 at 4:54 AM Post #1,008 of 11,979
About IT01, yes. Haven`t answered yet (too much interest in my IT01 from ppl). I don`t do mods for money making through PM cuz I`m not allowed (I`m member of trade and must follow rules).

Btw, I have opened my KP already, easy :wink:

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2019 at 5:12 AM Post #1,010 of 11,979
9939660_l.jpg

Now I`m unsure which to do - leave original backplates or do custom woodies.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2019 at 5:19 AM Post #1,011 of 11,979
Lovely pic - I do love the DX50. I use the DX80 now and love it. although I should get another DX90 at some point!
Looking at that pic Im straight away thinking some great potential for some felt [or other material] behind the driver on the inside back plate
I did this with an old Beyerdynamic DT220 - transformed into a sweet sounding headphone :)

Feb 13, 2019 at 5:46 AM Post #1,013 of 11,979
Looking at that pic Im straight away thinking some great potential for some felt [or other material] behind the driver on the inside back plate
I`m sorry to say but it doesn`t help or do anything, imo.
And I must say, Moondrop has done great tuning(filtering) with driver back vent. What I was hoping for (completely different approach from Yours) doesn`t help much and most of the tuning of KP (or regular) is done by front vent. I will still try "my trick" though and report back.
But some notes about IT01 vs. KPE:
* they both seem to have helmholz resonator
* one is multi-layered graphene, other DLC polykethorene( I think I mis-spelled it)
* IT01 tuning is done opposite way, using nearly full-closed material on front vent which is main cause of IT01 driver flex if inserted wrong way (too fast and without jaw-opening).
IT01 back vent contrary is very tuneable.
* KPE back venting is done 100% right imo and resembles IT01 front vent.
* KPE as open-back doesn`t change nothing to my ears, at least I can`t notice anything changing right away (will do more comparing though).
* despite IT01 being very tuneable with back vent in certain way, I find KPE beating IT01 in midrange.

About DX50... well, it isn`t DX50 anymore as I have hardcore modded hardware and custom firmware on it and call it DX5X: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ibasso-dx50-mods.720776/page-20#post-12652071
3V/80mA per channel is pretty great match for KPE :wink:
I`m actually having crazy thoughts atm how to make front venting tuneable without any tape or material. Will see if I figure it out.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2019 at 5:59 AM Post #1,014 of 11,979
I`m sorry to say but it doesn`t help or do anything, imo.
And I must say, Moondrop has done great tuning(filtering) with driver back vent. What I was hoping for (completely different approach from Yours) doesn`t help much and most of the tuning of KP (or regular) is done by front vent. I will still try "my trick" though and report back.
But some notes about IT01 vs. KPE:
* they both seem to have helmholz resonator
* one is multi-layered graphene, other DLC polykethorene( I think I mis-spelled it)
* IT01 tuning is done opposite way, using nearly full-closed material on front vent which is main cause of IT01 driver flex if inserted wrong way (too fast and without jaw-opening).
IT01 back vent contrary is very tuneable.
* KPE back venting is done 100% right imo and resembles IT01 front vent.
* KPE as open-back doesn`t change nothing to my ears, at least I can`t notice anything changing right away (will do more comparing though).

About DX50... well, it isn`t DX50 anymore as I have hardcore modded hardware and custom firmware on it and call it DX5X: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ibasso-dx50-mods.720776/page-20#post-12652071

I guess that's kind of good news then! It does feel and sound to me that they have done something quite special with this IEM :)
Holy Moly, I like what you have done with the DX50 - It was great player before your mod...can only imagine now - good job Sir!

Feb 13, 2019 at 6:17 AM Post #1,015 of 11,979
More and more I look that graph compared to IT01 graphs, they are very similarly tuned (if KPE front ports closed) but KPE having better mids and IT01 littlebit more upper-highs "sparkle".
Both have very similar soundstage (stock KPE compared with modded IT01) but KPE feels more "rounded" and evenly naturally "spaced out" due to better midrange. And like I already said, KPE "paints soundscape" only as much there is on recording/mastering - it isn`t lacking in soundstage any way imho.
Vocals presentation (stock KPE compared to modded IT01) is same in distance - not too "inside headstage/in your face" and not too far/laid-back - perfect imho.
Imaging is also same on both (stock KPE compared to modded IT01).
I absolutely love both IEMs SQ and sound signature very much.
Only thing (to my ears and preferences) that need tinybit tuning with KPE is bass/percussion hard-hitting slam/growl with extra micro-details, which can be done by front vent tuning (extending sub-bass reach and raising tinybit lower-mid-bass) and open/different nozzle grills along with low-impedance cable (stock measures too high imo).

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2019 at 8:16 AM Post #1,016 of 11,979
Did the midrange get any more body to the sound or is that region not affected?

@antdroid 's measurement shows the mod only affects the bass - but subjectively I feel that the lower midrange also gets a little more body.
It might be that also that midrange contains some bass frequency. Importantly it still remains very clean and clear.

And that meatier, fuller low mid - high bass sounds creates a beautiful contrast to the clean and clear upper mids! Try "Man in the long black coat" by Bob Dylan...
:-o

But please test it and share your impressions! As long as you poke a little hole in it you can just use regular tape as well.
And if you decide to go for it, a roll of Micropore is like 3-5$ You might even get it in your local drug store.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2019 at 8:26 AM Post #1,017 of 11,979
I
More and more I look that graph compared to IT01 graphs, they are very similarly tuned (if KPE front ports closed) but KPE having better mids and IT01 littlebit more upper-highs "sparkle".
Both have very similar soundstage (stock KPE compared with modded IT01) but KPE feels more "rounded" and evenly naturally "spaced out" due to better midrange. And like I already said, KPE "paints soundscape" only as much there is on recording/mastering - it isn`t lacking in soundstage any way imho.
Vocals presentation (stock KPE compared to modded IT01) is same in distance - not too "inside headstage/in your face" and not too far/laid-back - perfect imho.
Only thing (to my ears and preferences) that need tinybit tuning with KPE is bass/percussion hard-hitting slam/growl with extra micro-details, which can be done by front vent tuning (extendidng sub-bass reach and raising tinybit lower-mid-bass) and open/different nozzle grills along with low-impedance cable (stock measures too high imo).
I wish I could give 5 likes to this post! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Feb 13, 2019 at 10:32 AM Post #1,018 of 11,979
Only thing (to my ears and preferences) that need tinybit tuning with KPE is bass/percussion hard-hitting slam/growl with extra micro-details, which can be done by front vent tuning (extending sub-bass reach and raising tinybit lower-mid-bass) and open/different nozzle grills along with low-impedance cable (stock measures too high imo).

Not meaning to go off topic too far here, but I'm intrigued as to what your modding of the IT01 does to the SQ/FQ.
I love the IT01 (unmodded), but it's not perfect by any means...it lacks some of the detail that KPE has, but has some real body and warmth that KPE lacks in the lower mids.

Feb 13, 2019 at 2:26 PM Post #1,019 of 11,979
I just ordered the Kanas Pro because of a couple things, but BGGARs reviews have been spot on for me. The DM6 I got is just an amazing IEM, holy crap. If the Kanas Pro is like that, but more refined with a dynamic driver tone, I am going to be in heaven.

Feb 13, 2019 at 2:48 PM Post #1,020 of 11,979
I cant recommend burn in enough...Im passing 150 hours and its getting better & better :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back