Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Sep 16, 2021 at 1:19 PM Post #10,054 of 12,007
Moondrop Stay updated on Moondrop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/moondroplab/ https://x.com/MoondropLab https://www.instagram.com/moondroplab/ https://www.moondroplab.com https://discord.gg/qJrSWrT
Sep 16, 2021 at 8:25 PM Post #10,056 of 12,007
Hi,

Just did the filter mod on my Aria and I'm having mixed feelings.

Is there anyone that didn't liked the result at all or is it common sense that this mod it's an improvement?

I'm perceiving a dip in the mids that bring up the bass just a little at the cost of loosing the punch and frontality in some instruments. That rim's beat in Your Latest Trick from Dire Straits is a example. It's much less evident.

Am I correct in affirm that the only thing this mod does is bring down the mids to make it more neutral sound?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2021 at 8:38 PM Post #10,057 of 12,007
Hi,

Just did the filter mod on my Aria and I'm having mixed feelings.

Is there anyone that didn't liked the result at all or is it common sense that this mod it's an improvement?

I'm perceiving a dip in the mids that bring up the bass just a little at the cost of loosing the punch and frontality in some instruments. That rim's beat in Your Latest Trick from Dire Straits is a example. It's much less evident.

Am I correct in affirm that the only thing this mod does is bring down the mids to make it more neutral sound?

Thanks.

It's more like the mod brings down the quantity of the bass while increasing the quality :).

That's why you hear "loosing the punch" as the bass is reduced in level & rumble. The "quality" increase is the increase in bass resolution aka making bass faster. It also affects why you feel mid lose its "frontality".

So basically, removing the metal hex filter alters the sound a lot. Your choice, your preference :).

For me, I remove the hex filter to clean it up then reinstall it. In stock form, the hex is partially blocked by excessive adhesive :).

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2021 at 8:44 PM Post #10,058 of 12,007
It's more like the mod brings down the quantity of the bass while increasing the quality :).

That's why you hear "loosing the punch" as the bass is reduced in level & rumble. The "quality" increase is the increase in bass resolution aka making bass faster. It also affects why you feel mid lose its "frontality".

So basically, removing the metal hex filter alters the sound a lot. Your choice, your preference :).

For me, I remove the hex filter to clean it up then reinstall it. In stock form, the hex is partially blocked by excessive adhesive :).

Ohh I think I did it wrong then. I didn't reinstalled it. I will remove the adhesive and put it back for further evaluation. Thanks.

Sep 16, 2021 at 9:01 PM Post #10,059 of 12,007
Ohh I think I did it wrong then. I didn't reinstalled it. I will remove the adhesive and put it back for further evaluation. Thanks.
Not necessarily that you did it wrong. Some people just remove it altogether, running only on the cloth filter :).

For me, I simply miss that "punch" too much that I reinstalled it. Although clearing the adhesive does help to clear things up a bit :).

Sep 17, 2021 at 1:32 AM Post #10,060 of 12,007
I am using Shanling M8 and Spiral Dot tips. I think the M8 has enough definition for the Variations.

I think in general the Variations has good bass speed but somehow it sounds congested to my ears for a range of frequencies. I should have tried the CP155 but I haven't bought it yet.

I am comparing it with NM2+ and NA2+ and KZ AST.

I like to test my IEMs with these two albums for low end control.

https://www.amazon.com/Bruch-Scottish-Fantasy-Violin-Concerto/dp/B07CPBVVWN
https://www.highresaudio.com/en/alb...r-daniel-harding-brahms-ein-deutsches-requiem

And, it definitely doesn't sound good enough. Brahms: Ein deutsches Requiem I think this album is quite challenging for IEMs. The supporting orchestra sounds good however when the whole choir sings together clipping can result quite often. Also, the pinna gain frequencies aren't really my preference which can lead to unfavorable tonality on instruments such as saxophones sounding wrong and orchestral strings sounding flat. And Joshua Bell's Scottish Fantasy mostly sounds good with the Variations but the lower string notes sound quite muddy due to the overly boosted bass.

I was curious what you are hearing and listened to the Bruch record on Tidal.
I cannot find any issues with the Variations' technicalities. Tuning is another matter, the Variations have a distinct character and sometimes it works in favor of some music, sometimes against it. But I didn't hear the issues you are describing.
It seems as if the Variations simply has a tuning which goes against your preferences. It's a valuable opinion with all the positive feedback the Variations is getting, and a good reminder that what works well for others may not work well for everyone.

Maybe the Variations are not for you. If you have a chance, listen to the Sony IER-M9, you might like that, or the Dunu Luna which has a similar tuning to the NM2+ and has unreal speed and dynamics. Very exciting IEM for classical music.

PS: I also read headfonic's review of the Shanling M8, and they point our a strong, dense mid bass.
Maybe that exacerbates the issue you are having with the Variations too.

Sep 17, 2021 at 1:54 AM Post #10,061 of 12,007
I cannot find any issues with the Variations' technicalities. Tuning is another matter, the Variations have a distinct character and sometimes it works in favor of some music, sometimes against it. But I didn't hear the issues you are describing.
It seems as if the Variations simply has a tuning which goes against your preferences. It's a valuable opinion with all the positive feedback the Variations is getting, and a good reminder that what works well for others may not work well for everyone.

Maybe the Variations are not for you. If you have a chance, listen to the Sony IER-M9, you might like that, or the Dunu Luna which has a similar tuning to the NM2+ and has unreal speed and dynamics. Very exciting IEM for classical music.

PS: I also read headfonic's review of the Shanling M8, and they point our a strong, dense mid bass.
Maybe you are right about the M8 having dense mid bass. I will definitely try more tips but it is hard to get tips for 6.5mm dia. nozzles and the stock tips kind of suck. Do you have any recommendation?

I think the Variations is good, but the more I listen to it I find myself preferring Single DD goodness and the pinna gain of it really doesn't work for me probably due to my narrow ear canal.

The NM2+ and NA2+ IMO are so underrated as they can sound quite bad with wrong tips and cables (well, if you are a believer). Especially if you can get the NM2+ to sound right, that treble is unbelievable. Yea I will try the Sony and both the Sony and the Dunu are over my budget sadly.

Sep 17, 2021 at 2:28 AM Post #10,062 of 12,007

hey hey.. we meet again. glad to see you are enjoying variations as well. it's currently my fave iem

20210917_022724.jpg

Sep 17, 2021 at 3:47 AM Post #10,063 of 12,007
Maybe you are right about the M8 having dense mid bass. I will definitely try more tips but it is hard to get tips for 6.5mm dia. nozzles and the stock tips kind of suck. Do you have any recommendation?
I have a pretty big tip collection and on the Variations the Spiral Dot ++ give the best results for my ears and preferences.
Compared to the regular Spiral Dots, the ++ Version has a smoother, more balanced sound, more body in the lower midrange/upper bass and a more relaxed upper midrange.
The regular Spiral Dots sound thinner and a bit harsh in comparison.
Both Spiral Dots versions are taming the sub-bass boost compared to some other tips.
I am using ML with a shallow fit, since my ear canals are also rather narrow.

I tried Spinfits too, and while they are very comfortable I clearly preferred the Spiral Dots in terms of sound.

Sep 17, 2021 at 1:04 PM Post #10,065 of 12,007

I think the Variations is good, but the more I listen to it I find myself preferring Single DD goodness and the pinna gain of it really doesn't work for me probably due to my narrow ear canal.

The NM2+ and NA2+ IMO are so underrated as they can sound quite bad with wrong tips and cables (well, if you are a believer). Especially if you can get the NM2+ to sound right, that treble is unbelievable. Yea I will try the Sony and both the Sony and the Dunu are over my budget sadly.

Have you tried the Epro ep01 they fit up to 7mm.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back