Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Sep 17, 2021 at 1:05 PM Post #10,066 of 12,011
New cable in town

Is that the XinHS 4 braid "graphene-infused silver"? And how much was it?

I had Hakugei custom make a copper+silver graphene. Not the easiest to find synergy for. Seems to bring out mid-treble and mid-bass energy, like a V-shaped EQ. Sound stage gets smaller and extension reduced.

FCD37EB2-B287-4924-ABC0-8E416E7EA4EF.jpeg

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2021 at 1:15 PM Post #10,067 of 12,011
Is that the XinHS 4 braid "graphene-infused silver"? And how much was it?

I had Hakugei custom make a copper+silver graphene. Not the easiest to find synergy for. Seems to bring out mid-treble and mid-bass energy, like a V-shaped EQ. Sound stage gets smaller and extension reduced.

FCD37EB2-B287-4924-ABC0-8E416E7EA4EF.jpeg

Yeah, it is. It was the price it is listed for, I just asked for other accessories and no slider.

Sep 17, 2021 at 1:27 PM Post #10,068 of 12,011
Variations amazes me more everyday it’s really has open up my taste in music. Listening to more modern and edm music than in the past. Still love them with rock but they really shine with edm. Been a bit of a journey to find right cable and tips but well worth the effort. My current set is XINHS cable and either epro ep01 or jlab wireless tips.
Yeah, it is. It was the price it is listed for, I just asked for other accessories and no slider.

Is that the new silver with a core of advanced sterling silver cable 18*0.06*8. Or the current sterling silver 10*0.08*8 ?

I order the new one in 8 core without the graphene coating to finish out collection of cables. How’s the sound with it.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2021 at 1:46 PM Post #10,069 of 12,011
I have a pretty big tip collection and on the Variations the Spiral Dot ++ give the best results for my ears and preferences.
Compared to the regular Spiral Dots, the ++ Version has a smoother, more balanced sound, more body in the lower midrange/upper bass and a more relaxed upper midrange.
The regular Spiral Dots sound thinner and a bit harsh in comparison.
Both Spiral Dots versions are taming the sub-bass boost compared to some other tips.
I am using ML with a shallow fit, since my ear canals are also rather narrow.

I tried Spinfits too, and while they are very comfortable I clearly preferred the Spiral Dots in terms of sound.
hmm maybe I should get some spiral dots ++

Sep 17, 2021 at 1:46 PM Post #10,070 of 12,011
Variations amazes me more everyday it’s really has open up my taste in music. Listening to more modern and edm music than in the past. Still love them with rock but they really shine with edm. Been a bit of a journey to find right cable and tips but well worth the effort. My current set is XINHS cable and either epro ep01 or jlab wireless tips.

Is that the new silver with a core of advanced sterling silver cable 18*0.06*8. Or the current sterling silver 10*0.08*8 ?

I order the new one in 8 core without the graphene coating to finish out collection of cables. How’s the sound with it.

For drivers I think they use coating. For cables they seem to come in graphene strands, and often braided with silver for some reason.

I wonder why they wouldn't make a pure graphene cable... would it snap easily like pencil lead? And why not braid it with copper?

Questions questions.

I think that graphene does improve SQ when used with silver than when silver is used alone, there's always something weird that silver does to the timbre. Not just to headphones either. Had similar experience with speaker sets as well. Pop in that pure silver and poof your bass is gone.

Sep 17, 2021 at 2:18 PM Post #10,071 of 12,011
epro ep01

I need to grab that, only have ep00!

Im not sure... Its this one

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mr4ryEP

Regarding the sound, I cant help you with that since I don't believe in cables, sorry

Sep 17, 2021 at 2:49 PM Post #10,072 of 12,011

You can try PW Audio 28 copper v2 cable and spinfit 155 or BGVP A07

Sep 17, 2021 at 4:06 PM Post #10,073 of 12,011
You can try PW Audio 28 copper v2 cable and spinfit 155 or BGVP A07

Should be getting the BGVP A07 and the W01 anyday now. :) Holding off for now on any new cable till Christmas. I have the XINHS silver on order but think I’m done shopping for cables. With the solid copper stock cable 2x cable made of gold silver copper mixes and the silver new one I just ordered I’m already over the $150.00 that I planned to spend on cables.

Thinking at this point it be better to set aside money for a earphone upgrade in a couple of years. Maybe the new Moondrop S8 or the UM Mest11 seems that that one gets rave reviews.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2021 at 9:11 PM Post #10,075 of 12,011
No not yet, I ll see where I can get some of it. I remember someone mentioned about this tip awhile ago?
The ePros have been around for a while. They are almost de rigueur for Penon IEMs. The mid-centric Penons get increased soundstage and tame a bit of midbass with the ePros. Your mileage will likely vary on different-tuned IEMs.

Sep 17, 2021 at 10:32 PM Post #10,076 of 12,011
Maybe you are right about the M8 having dense mid bass. I will definitely try more tips but it is hard to get tips for 6.5mm dia. nozzles and the stock tips kind of suck. Do you have any recommendation?

I think the Variations is good, but the more I listen to it I find myself preferring Single DD goodness and the pinna gain of it really doesn't work for me probably due to my narrow ear canal.

The NM2+ and NA2+ IMO are so underrated as they can sound quite bad with wrong tips and cables (well, if you are a believer). Especially if you can get the NM2+ to sound right, that treble is unbelievable. Yea I will try the Sony and both the Sony and the Dunu are over my budget sadly.
I recommend giving the FDX1 with KXXS filters a try. I actually place it very close to the IER-M9 with 8 core silver cable (sounds much clearer/detailed vs stock cable).

Sep 18, 2021 at 8:13 AM Post #10,077 of 12,011
I just received my KXXX but I ordered the KATO and mele right after so I'm returning these without getting to try them.. well I have starfields already so I'll live.

I'm picking up the blessing 2 Dusk for $235, in near new condition according to the owner. Good deal? I also want the timeless 7hz to round out my collection and see what the hype is about but I've spent too much already so I'll have to sell some stuff first..

Sep 18, 2021 at 9:43 AM Post #10,078 of 12,011
I just received my KXXX but I ordered the KATO and mele right after so I'm returning these without getting to try them.. well I have starfields already so I'll live.

I'm picking up the blessing 2 Dusk for $235, in near new condition according to the owner. Good deal? I also want the timeless 7hz to round out my collection and see what the hype is about but I've spent too much already so I'll have to sell some stuff first..
That's a sweet deal for the Dusk. 👍 I just got the 7hz, was actually surprised how fast it shipped. It's a good set especially if you don't already have a set of planar in your collection. However, I don't think it blows away the P1. They are about on par with each other from what I can tell. The 7hz is much easier to drive though. So if you already have the P1 I'd say skip it. I'd you don't have any planars, the 7hz is a solid first set.

Edit: 7hz Timeless is highly dependent on tip rolling. Stock fitted tips are ok but kinda lean sounding. Just tried cp100 on them and they really brought out the warmth and textured bass. Much better. Audeze LCD-2 like versus the P1 which sounds more similar to HiFiMan. Awesome planar sound out of the BTR5 :o2smile: Sundara's still trounce all over both of them though. But for a portable planar setup, this is as good as it gets. 👍

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2021 at 8:12 PM Post #10,079 of 12,011
That's a sweet deal for the Dusk. 👍 I just got the 7hz, was actually surprised how fast it shipped. It's a good set especially if you don't already have a set of planar in your collection. However, I don't think it blows away the P1. They are about on par with each other from what I can tell. The 7hz is much easier to drive though. So if you already have the P1 I'd say skip it. I'd you don't have any planars, the 7hz is a solid first set.

Edit: 7hz Timeless is highly dependent on tip rolling. Stock fitted tips are ok but kinda lean sounding. Just tried cp100 on them and they really brought out the warmth and textured bass. Much better. Audeze LCD-2 like versus the P1 which sounds more similar to HiFiMan. Awesome planar sound out of the BTR5 :o2smile: Sundara's still trounce all over both of them though. But for a portable planar setup, this is as good as it gets. 👍
Man I'm really tempted to pick one of these up now but I'm scared I won't like planar. I hated my audeze Mobius/Hyperx cloud orbit 3d even in "hi Fi dac" mode, whatever that is. They weren't bad.. they just weren't good at anything, my pc38x sound way better to me, and even my he-35x sounded slightly better to me. I've also owned a lot of $100-$300 iems but I always end up going back to my cheaper starfields because I like them best. Isn h40 is great but the bass is too bloated. The penon orbs well, they sound smooth I guess and have decent bass, too warm for me. The kbear believe are way too U shaped, I can't believe how many people actually like these. The entire range sounds hollowed out to me except for the bass and treble. The bass is good but I find the treble a bit much. The blon 3 sounded like an inferior believe to me but I still liked it's sound signature a bit more, it's similar sounding but a bit more balanced. I think these were way overhyped, much like most of my other iems. Makes me very reluctant to buy into iem hype anymore. The only ones that have lived up to the hype for me are the bgvp dmg even though they aren't great anymore because at the time they were great and my first step into good chifi (though the Sennheiser momentum in ears came close), and the starfields which have just blown my mind away how good of an all rounder it is. I think we're close to a point where chifi iems are becoming more and more subjective as the hardware in the budget/mid range spectrum improves. That's why if I end up liking the mele more than let's say the blessing 2 Dusk I'll be getting then that's what my end game will be, doesn't matter to me that they're just $50. Hbb's video (even though I don't like him too much) about how they were gonna sell them for $150 really opened my eyes to how a lot of these iems are probably manufactured for a lot cheaper than their cost, and how a lot of their cost is going into their extras like the packaging anyways. I bet a lot of the $100 iems we have could be sold for $200-$300 and that would make their perceived value go way up and make people think they're better than we do now. I think vice versa is true as well. Yeah rant aside I'm just trying to say it's hard for me not to be kinda skeptical these days because of how subjective iems have become. A lot of people would rank the iems have way differently from me so it makes hard for me to trust reviews, etc. Which is how I've ended up going down deeper and deeper in this rabbit hole and money sink 😭

Sep 18, 2021 at 9:20 PM Post #10,080 of 12,011
Man I'm really tempted to pick one of these up now but I'm scared I won't like planar. I hated my audeze Mobius/Hyperx cloud orbit 3d even in "hi Fi dac" mode, whatever that is. They weren't bad.. they just weren't good at anything, my pc38x sound way better to me, and even my he-35x sounded slightly better to me. I've also owned a lot of $100-$300 iems but I always end up going back to my cheaper starfields because I like them best. Isn h40 is great but the bass is too bloated. The penon orbs well, they sound smooth I guess and have decent bass, too warm for me. The kbear believe are way too U shaped, I can't believe how many people actually like these. The entire range sounds hollowed out to me except for the bass and treble. The bass is good but I find the treble a bit much. The blon 3 sounded like an inferior believe to me but I still liked it's sound signature a bit more, it's similar sounding but a bit more balanced. I think these were way overhyped, much like most of my other iems. Makes me very reluctant to buy into iem hype anymore. The only ones that have lived up to the hype for me are the bgvp dmg even though they aren't great anymore because at the time they were great and my first step into good chifi (though the Sennheiser momentum in ears came close), and the starfields which have just blown my mind away how good of an all rounder it is. I think we're close to a point where chifi iems are becoming more and more subjective as the hardware in the budget/mid range spectrum improves. That's why if I end up liking the mele more than let's say the blessing 2 Dusk I'll be getting then that's what my end game will be, doesn't matter to me that they're just $50. Hbb's video (even though I don't like him too much) about how they were gonna sell them for $150 really opened my eyes to how a lot of these iems are probably manufactured for a lot cheaper than their cost, and how a lot of their cost is going into their extras like the packaging anyways. I bet a lot of the $100 iems we have could be sold for $200-$300 and that would make their perceived value go way up and make people think they're better than we do now. I think vice versa is true as well. Yeah rant aside I'm just trying to say it's hard for me not to be kinda skeptical these days because of how subjective iems have become. A lot of people would rank the iems have way differently from me so it makes hard for me to trust reviews, etc. Which is how I've ended up going down deeper and deeper in this rabbit hole and money sink 😭
Interesting about the Starfields. Some people say they sound different—Arias are warmer, Starfields have more mids, others say they can’t hear a difference. Did you ever try the Arias and noticed a difference between them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back