Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Feb 11, 2019 at 5:27 PM Post #961 of 12,005
Kanas Pro arrived today. Oh my, what a disappointment. Perhaps I got a defective unit. Tried different tips and still got totally dominating treble. Really artificial sounding. The Crescent crushes this particular unit. Reminds me of the Tin Audio T2pro which I did not like, except over all the T2pro gave something better than what I am getting from the Kanas.

These are very similar to my first impresssions. Disappointment, dominating treble, generally unnatural sq. Made me question the unit, given everyone else’s enthusiasm.
All I can say is, give it time to run in. It improves...and the treble does calm down, but I’m still not entirely convinced by certain aspects of the spectrum.
It’s certainly curious that one person finds the treble too dominant and another can’t find enough sparkle, mind.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2019 at 5:46 PM Post #962 of 12,005
These are very similar to my first impresssions. Disappointment, dominating treble, generally unnatural sq. Made me question the unit, given everyone else’s enthusiasm.
All I can say is, give it time to run in. It improves...and the treble does calm down, but I’m still not entirely convinced by certain aspects of the spectrum.
It’s certainly curious that one person finds the treble too dominant and another can’t find enough sparkle, mind.
Is QC a problem and units are variable? I wonder, since mostly we get praise, and from listeners I have found reliable. My initial impression is that the sound is quite wrong. The Crescent in contrast was a winner from the get go and just requires some sound tweaking with the right tip match.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2019 at 6:00 PM Post #963 of 12,005
If you're willing to invest in Dayton imm-06 ($40) and some 8mm diameter vinyl tube, you could measure yourself whats going on :)

Based on the charts the treble should not be excessive at all. There is some raise at 4K compared to crescent which should make the treble "open up" a little bit, but other than that there shouldn't be a treble problem.

edit: which tips would you suggest with Crescent?

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2019 at 7:23 PM Post #964 of 12,005
If you're willing to invest in Dayton imm-06 ($40) and some 8mm diameter vinyl tube, you could measure yourself whats going on :)

Based on the charts the treble should not be excessive at all. There is some raise at 4K compared to crescent which should make the treble "open up" a little bit, but other than that there shouldn't be a treble problem.

edit: which tips would you suggest with Crescent?
Have not found the right ones yet. I have Symbio and Spiral Dots coming, and will get a grab bag of others. I am new to iems and just need to get a bunch. Stock foamies of Tin Audio were pretty good with Crescent

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2019 at 8:24 PM Post #965 of 12,005
For those with an underwhelming first impression, I'd suggest trying a new cable to check if the problem isn't the cable. I've got the same feeling until I figured out my stock cable was wired out of phase:

Since I could prove it to the seller with this video I got an $8 discount and I've bought a new cable and I'm barely using head-fi nowadays, lol.

Feb 11, 2019 at 8:55 PM Post #966 of 12,005
For those with an underwhelming first impression, I'd suggest trying a new cable to check if the problem isn't the cable. I've got the same feeling until I figured out my stock cable was wired out of phase:

Since I could prove it to the seller with this video I got an $8 discount and I've bought a new cable and I'm barely using head-fi nowadays, lol.

What did it sound like with the bad cable?

Feb 11, 2019 at 10:44 PM Post #967 of 12,005
Kanas Pro arrived today. Oh my, what a disappointment. Perhaps I got a defective unit. Tried different tips and still got totally dominating treble. Really artificial sounding. The Crescent crushes this particular unit. Reminds me of the Tin Audio T2pro which I did not like, except over all the T2pro gave something better than what I am getting from the Kanas.

Sorry to read that... but keep looking for the right tip! It took me a while too!
How does it sound if you gently press them into your ears to improve the seal?

Feb 11, 2019 at 10:53 PM Post #968 of 12,005
To reiterate my issue with the treble, its not that it is underwhelming or overwhelming, its that it tends to have some tizz to it. Im spoiled by ex1000 treble which is super clean and has no tizz. Theres definitely a lot of folks who hear the ex1k vastly different, ive also heard it that way but the tips and a crampy aftermarket balanced cable were the source of that for me. It was also moreso on my Ifi micro bl, not so on the zx300. That's why there isnt just a handful of iems or headphones, they all fit/seal and are tuned different. We all arent going to collectively hear something exactly the same. Also, when I say the treble on the kpe is tizzy sometimes, that is absolutely me nitpicking this iem, I love the kpe, the only reason I may sell it is to try the a8, or,if the solis comes in under 1200

Feb 11, 2019 at 11:03 PM Post #969 of 12,005
Is QC a problem and units are variable? I wonder, since mostly we get praise, and from listeners I have found reliable. My initial impression is that the sound is quite wrong. The Crescent in contrast was a winner from the get go and just requires some sound tweaking with the right tip match.
Mine are the same as you could see from my review earlier in the thread. Sadly the treble is a bit of a mess when it comes to cymbals. You can really hear it at the end of "The Chain" by Fleetwood Mac after the tambourine comes in. I'll stick with my re-cabled MH755's

Feb 11, 2019 at 11:17 PM Post #970 of 12,005
Mine are the same as you could see from my review earlier in the thread. Sadly the treble is a bit of a mess when it comes to cymbals. You can really hear it at the end of "The Chain" by Fleetwood Mac after the tambourine comes in. I'll stick with my re-cabled MH755's
Yeah, my one complaint about the KP is that every region (except the occasional sub bass drop) is a small sidestep into the high region, which makes it (for me) sound just that tinge cold. It’s most apparent in the cymbals where (like in the Police) where it gets a little one dimensional. Overall, a great iem for the price. Definitely a good all rounder, but not perfection. Beats a lot, though.
Does sound better with a more powerful warm source, but the definition up there is not exactly top notch.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2019 at 1:01 AM Post #971 of 12,005
Interesting. Despite having not 100% good fit at beginning with different tips, I never found them treble-dominating. Imho they are just drop dead neutral in natural way, very natural sounding (vocals especially).
I wonder what source he is using?
Yeah, my one complaint about the KP is that every region (except the occasional sub bass drop) is a small sidestep into the high region, which makes it (for me) sound just that tinge cold. It’s most apparent in the cymbals where (like in the Police) where it gets a little one dimensional. Overall, a great iem for the price. Definitely a good all rounder, but not perfection. Beats a lot, though.
Does sound better with a more powerful warm source, but the definition up there is not exactly top notch.
While I agree that cymbals would benefit from tinybit more "sparkle" I was talking before, I can`t call KP one-dimensional in any way.
I agree about amping and slightly warmish source.

But it depends on lot of factors - tips, fit, source, amping, personal hearing etc.
YMMV :wink:

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2019 at 1:30 AM Post #972 of 12,005
I received mine last week, and it was disappointing out of the box. But, my issues were the opposite of yours. Too much focus on the vocals, instruments sound recessed, no soundstage/separation between instruments, sound was emanating from a blob in the middle. Played with tips and settled on foamies from BGVP DM6. Also, gave a 30 hrs burn-in and it has opened up wonderfully. These do sound like they need the recommended 100 Hrs burn-in. Also, just like the Tin-T2's pair wonderfully my Sony A17 than Shanling M0.

Feb 12, 2019 at 3:19 AM Post #973 of 12,005
I mean, KP are probably perfect IEM for many just as they are and they really are very very good. I certainly prefer them over modded IT01 over wide range different genre music.

About tips, I feel same way about using HS-930i ultra wide bore silicone tips. They reach about 3mm over tip end and lengthen littlebit over Auvio S.
Those AZLA tips seem quite similar to Auvio but like You said, longer stem. Do You know good place to get them when located in EU? I don`t want to pay much for just 2 tiny tips.

Will stop commenting for week and let them "burn-in" more.
Unfortunately i dont think azla sells em outside japan. I got them from Amazon.co.jp, i have their prime subscription as I figured might as well put my vpn to use and cancel the useless subscription to Canadian Amazon. Fun fact, the tips took 4 days from Japan to get to my doorstep, while Canadian Amazon took 10 days to deliver AmazonBasics laptop case that I ordered; both on prime. Local amazon is such a joke.

It took me around 2k yen to get s/m/l tips to my doorstep. I think Final E-types cost the same and symbios cost even more ? Not sure.

Btw i should mention that I think that the treble opens up after using the sedna. i am using the KZ AS10 as well and treble quality is comparable.

Also people looking for size comparison and comfort issues, As10 hurt my ears but the moondrops take up half of that area and is infinitely more comfortable.

And as I said before ... Kpe is my relaxation iem. I go to sleep every night with them in my ears and l get lost on a two-hour journey on tidal instead.. lol. :)

Feb 12, 2019 at 3:36 AM Post #974 of 12,005
Unfortunately i dont think azla sells em outside japan. I got them from Amazon.co.jp, i have their prime subscription as I figured might as well put my vpn to use and cancel the useless subscription to Canadian Amazon. Fun fact, the tips took 4 days from Japan to get to my doorstep, while Canadian Amazon took 10 days to deliver AmazonBasics laptop case that I ordered; both on prime. Local amazon is such a joke.

It took me around 2k yen to get s/m/l tips to my doorstep. I think Final E-types cost the same and symbios cost even more ? Not sure.

Btw i should mention that I think that the treble opens up after using the sedna. i am using the KZ AS10 as well and treble quality is comparable.

Also people looking for size comparison and comfort issues, As10 hurt my ears but the moondrops take up half of that area and is infinitely more comfortable.

And as I said before ... Kpe is my relaxation iem. I go to sleep every night with them in my ears and l get lost on a two-hour journey on tidal instead.. lol. :)

Agree! I use these when I’m laying in bed. The sound is smooth and clean and relaxing. Easy to stick them on and enjoy.

I don’t find the treble hot at all on these. I did originally, but better source and tips made a difference for me, as I posted several pages ago.

Also, the vent port that’s closest to the nozzle has a filter just below it. If that filter is not in-place correctly, all bass will go away.

Feb 12, 2019 at 4:23 AM Post #975 of 12,005
Interesting. Despite having not 100% good fit at beginning with different tips, I never found them treble-dominating. Imho they are just drop dead neutral in natural way, very natural sounding (vocals especially).
I wonder what source he is using?

While I agree that cymbals would benefit from tinybit more "sparkle" I was talking before, I can`t call KP one-dimensional in any way.
I agree about amping and slightly warmish source.

But it depends on lot of factors - tips, fit, source, amping, personal hearing etc.
YMMV :wink:

Haha. Well I think we can all agree on one thing. We're all hearing it pretty differently! I've banged on many times on this forum about how there are so many factors influencing the sound from
original recording to brain. From original recording quality and engineer mix, to bit rate, source of player, amp, EQ (if any), cable, IEM, tips, seal/fit, hearing and processing.

Personally I crave the sound I used to get from vinyl and needle. Warmish, analogue, smooth and organic, with detail and separation, but not much edginess. I feel it's difficult for files to deliver that general tone. Most come across as variation on slightly metallic for me, whatever delivery system i'm using.

KP is so temperamental it seems. I hear it slightly differently every time I place it in my ear. I switched over on my P1 to a different EQ pre-setting, something I rarely do and one I've never used...and it works much better it seems - at least for ME. But I still had to play with my amp settings a little to get it to sound the way I wanted it. Again this is personal taste.
I agree about the tizziness by the way. That is there on certain tracks for sure. I also agree about the slight cold bleed effect across certain FQs. I know what you mean about lack of sparkle too, which is at odds with what seems to be an over trebley sound. The sparkle isn't defined.

At the end of the day, it's a $150 iem, not a $1000 plus iem. It's a great performer at times. But a bit of a 'spoilt princess', to quote another member!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back