Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Feb 6, 2019 at 6:49 AM Post #871 of 12,007
Interesting...
I`m suspecting You have either bad fit or bad match with source gear/file quality/music genre.
I`m sharing my feedback on IT01 (modded) vs. KP soon and I actually expect KP to beat IT01 in every aspect... but we`ll hear soon.

Bad match I'm not convinced about...but fit issues, possibly. And of course there is a chance my set needs burning in (it's happened before) but I can't see it will transform it up to the praise you guys seem to attribute to it. Maybe I have a pair that aren't quite up to scratch. It happens.

Feb 6, 2019 at 7:05 AM Post #872 of 12,007
Yes, relatively new to IEMs. I have considered them a lesser alternative to headphones, but I really come from playing the piano myself, listening to live classic concerts and having a >10k stereo system that I built over a few years.
The KPE changed my perception of IEMs, in some aspects they sound better than my full size HPs and I enjoy them tremendously. Interestingly I find vocals and mids really perfect, bass is strong but could be more defined, and treble is smooth but could have a little more bite with my custom silicone tips, which, I have to admit seem to have a smoothing effect. But as you said, I still have to hear what more TOTL IEMs can do.

The fact that you're used to such expensive kit and full size headphones is interesting in relation to KPE. I would say, for instance, that comparing KPE to something like Meze 99 Classic, for instance, (or HD600) would be no contest. Hands down those headphones would smash it for bass response, headstage, mids and sparkle. Chalk and cheese. So I'm definitely hearing something odd re KPE.

Feb 6, 2019 at 7:47 AM Post #873 of 12,007
Bad match I'm not convinced about...but fit issues, possibly. And of course there is a chance my set needs burning in (it's happened before) but I can't see it will transform it up to the praise you guys seem to attribute to it. Maybe I have a pair that aren't quite up to scratch. It happens.
Just curious, what source You use for KP and is there any amping? KP is 32Ohm and is said to be VERY revealing to source gear and improves with amping.

Feb 6, 2019 at 7:57 AM Post #874 of 12,007
I find that the KP's sound different with different albums. they seem to be very good at reproducing the characteristics of each particular recording. Where there is warm rich low mids it gives that, where there is clean bright high it gives that
Its a unique IEM IMO Seems very versatile. Its almost as if it is a flat neutral tuning but its not. Maybe you could say it is well balanced across all frequencies but has an added something as well. Cant quite put my finger on it
There is a 'trick' in Mastering called 'Harmonic excitation' that basically adds harmonics to the song - It can give a fresh and live 'at the concert' kind of sound and feel. Quite something when you first hear it although it can be fatiguing after a while.
Anyway, the KP's remind a bit of that - they have a feel or character in the background which I just love that makes me forgive the sometimes slightly 'hot' presentation of the highs on some songs. Very interesting :D

Feb 6, 2019 at 8:25 AM Post #875 of 12,007
The fact that you're used to such expensive kit and full size headphones is interesting in relation to KPE. I would say, for instance, that comparing KPE to something like Meze 99 Classic, for instance, (or HD600) would be no contest. Hands down those headphones would smash it for bass response, headstage, mids and sparkle. Chalk and cheese. So I'm definitely hearing something odd re KPE.

It is fascinating how we all hear things differently and how one persons end game iem can be another person's mediocre iem. I've listened to some expensive iems, such campfire atlas and andros and come away underwhelmed. For whatever reason, they didn't suit my hearing.

Feb 6, 2019 at 9:11 AM Post #876 of 12,007
Just curious, what source You use for KP and is there any amping? KP is 32Ohm and is said to be VERY revealing to source gear and improves with amping.
Hi,
source is Cowon P1, and yes the amp is Headstage Arrow 5tg. Like I say, there's nothing wrong with 2.5's (amazing anyhow with right cable and nothing I've heard comes close, for me and I'll never sell those), IT03's, IT01, Zen, Solar and Oriolus when I had them. To be fair to KPE, they need no EQ'ing which most of the others did (mainly more treble, interestingly)...but the SQ on the others was more rich and cohesive. No amount of EQ'ing improves the KP's. Maybe they're simply uncoloured and I just don't like that!!

Feb 6, 2019 at 9:32 AM Post #877 of 12,007
It is fascinating how we all hear things differently and how one persons end game iem can be another person's mediocre iem. I've listened to some expensive iems, such campfire atlas and andros and come away underwhelmed. For whatever reason, they didn't suit my hearing.

So true. So many variables - including personal taste. I once bought a pair of o-bravos for c£1000. Not for me and were sold soon after.
Have a look at the price of these: https://www.audiosanctuary.co.uk/obravo-ra-c-cu-earphones-copper.html
:fearful::money_mouth::astonished:

Feb 6, 2019 at 11:24 AM Post #879 of 12,007
I have Final's E5000's awaiting me at home. I'm looking forward to hearing them. Anyone on here got them...I remember someone mentioning them before?

Feb 6, 2019 at 12:01 PM Post #881 of 12,007
I’ve been tinkering a little bit with the Kanas Pro sort of by accident. The small vent closest to the nozzle actually has a screen below it and if you open this screen, all then bass goes completely away but upper mids and treble remain similarly shaped. Don’t do this. Heh.

If you remove the front screen in the nozzle, you will inject more lower treble (3-6Khz) response to it but a little bit. This will push that area up to kind of where the Tin T2 peaks which some may find harsh.

If you fill that area up with a small piece of foam from earbuds, you can lower that response back to stock and also lower the upper treble peak down to a more neutral treble tuning. The KP has a slight boost in the treble by default.

These are all very subtle tweaks. Obviously material used and density and amount will alter it slightly.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2019 at 12:13 PM Post #882 of 12,007
0130190822b.jpg

Feb 6, 2019 at 12:17 PM Post #883 of 12,007
Feb 6, 2019 at 12:26 PM Post #884 of 12,007

Users who are viewing this thread

Back