Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Jan 24, 2019 at 3:31 PM Post #661 of 11,982
i feel like its all relative because we all hear/like differently .someone can say x is bassy and y is bassy . there could be discussions for days and everyone could be right

would be cool for everyone to buy a decent cheap set and establish a baseline for reference . this would make it easier to quantify

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2019 at 3:57 PM Post #663 of 11,982
i feel like its all relative because we all hear/like differently .someone can say x is bassy and y is bassy . there could be discussions for days and everyone could be right

would be cool for everyone to buy a decent cheap set and establish a baseline for reference . this would make it easier to quantify

Good idea for microphone/measurment curves a standard set of earphones and tips would work.

However, IMHO,,, Exact fit and type of tips used, and the shape of the inner ear, and the hearing profile of each individual, etc... will still make for differences in how we each hear. Like, I know that sometimes I have difficulty getting a good seal, and that really drops the bass. Just expect there to always be differences, even with the same exact same setup. So, nice idea, but some folks will still hear differently.

Jan 24, 2019 at 3:58 PM Post #665 of 11,982
I have had some offline discussions and more testing time than I should have spent and I think I am sure enough to describe one finding that has been growing over a longer period of time. I have been sooo happy with the KPE, the clarity, openness and detail, the smoothness and bass weight, the good soundstage... but something was bugging me abot the treble (or presence range?) It is very smooth, never offensive and I tried to push it. It can be pushed, but I think today I found the track that highlights it’s shortcomings perfectly.

I was listening to “Las Ramblas” from Renault Garcias-Fons, a very energetic track with a nice bass line, harmonium, steel string guitar and some percussion.
At 1:16 the harmonium is being played very energetically and the steel string guitar is Balancing it, kind of a dialog, the harmonium is dominant, but the guitar is also very present and energetic.
Listening to this through the Pinnacle P1, both the harmonium but even more so the steel guitar have a lot of energy, are clear and sharp.
The KPE makes the whole track darker, gives it a much more solid bass line, but it is smoothes out the harmonium so much that the energy gets lost and the steel string guitar almost blends into the background, it lacks energy, the sharp sound of the strings is lost, and most importantly, the balance between the musical elements is lost.

I played with tips and found that the stock silicone tips improve it a bit, but the KPE’s presentation still lacks a lot of energy compared to the P1.
Soooooo.... is this really the weakness of the KPE? I have to say that this is again through the Chord Mojo which is famous for sounding smooth, but with the P1 there is plenty of energy and bite, with the KPE it’s simply too smooth.

I am curious if anyone can replicate what I hear an compare to other IEMs, especially again the IT01s...

Jan 24, 2019 at 4:06 PM Post #667 of 11,982
I have had some offline discussions and more testing time than I should have spent and I think I am sure enough to describe one finding that has been growing over a longer period of time. I have been sooo happy with the KPE, the clarity, openness and detail, the smoothness and bass weight, the good soundstage... but something was bugging me abot the treble (or presence range?) It is very smooth, never offensive and I tried to push it. It can be pushed, but I think today I found the track that highlights it’s shortcomings perfectly.

I was listening to “Las Ramblas” from Renault Garcias-Fons, a very energetic track with a nice bass line, harmonium, steel string guitar and some percussion.
At 1:16 the harmonium is being played very energetically and the steel string guitar is Balancing it, kind of a dialog, the harmonium is dominant, but the guitar is also very present and energetic.
Listening to this through the Pinnacle P1, both the harmonium but even more so the steel guitar have a lot of energy, are clear and sharp.
The KPE makes the whole track darker, gives it a much more solid bass line, but it is smoothes out the harmonium so much that the energy gets lost and the steel string guitar almost blends into the background, it lacks energy, the sharp sound of the strings is lost, and most importantly, the balance between the musical elements is lost.

I played with tips and found that the stock silicone tips improve it a bit, but the KPE’s presentation still lacks a lot of energy compared to the P1.
Soooooo.... is this really the weakness of the KPE? I have to say that this is again through the Chord Mojo which is famous for sounding smooth, but with the P1 there is plenty of energy and bite, with the KPE it’s simply too smooth.

I am curious if anyone can replicate what I hear an compare to other IEMs, especially again the IT01s...
I can say the highs on the Kanas Pro are not that 3 dimensional. Like steel guitar doesn't have the swell that it does on other phones I have. Like it only has the top end of it. I'm only about 40 hours in on my KP's though. Also, find that source is a deal with the KP's. It can sound better with certain sources and balanced. Straight out of a neutralish cold dap (single ended) like the M3s is not so impressive.

Jan 24, 2019 at 4:19 PM Post #669 of 11,982
is that the track?
it sounds perfect to me

Yes, that’s the track! EDIT: but I was listening on Tidal Hifi, which does sound slightly different. The effect with the steel strings is the same though.
What are you using as a reference? I also pulled out my trusty NightOwls, which are far behind the P1 and KPE in terms of detail and resolution, and they also make the guitar sound much more energetic and really like steel strings, while the KPE does not.
EDIT: drum reference removed
I also switched tips between P1 and KPE, still the same.
I think you really need to compare with other IEMs or HPs.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2019 at 4:29 PM Post #670 of 11,982
Yes, that’s the track!
What are you using as a reference? I also pulled out my trusty NightOwls, which are far behind the P1 and KPE in terms of detail and resolution, and they also make the guitar sound much more energetic and really like steel strings, while the KPE does not. There is also a drum at 1:30 that seems to be struck with finergtips only - P1 and NightOwl bring it out clearly, with the KPE it almost gets lost in the background.
I also switched tips between P1 and KPE, still the same.
I think you really need to compare with other IEMs or HPs.
i just tried wide bore tips and they have the bite, i kind of like them better with wide bore tips now, they are very smooth with the medium size ones, i was kind of woried that they are gonna be harsh with wide bore but i guess burn in made them smoother and now i can use them with wide bore tips (i tried them with wide bore tips in the begining brand new and i tought that they are kind of bright)

Jan 24, 2019 at 4:32 PM Post #671 of 11,982
IMG_20190124_223055.jpg

Jan 24, 2019 at 4:50 PM Post #673 of 11,982
The amount of bass for certain, they are definitely warmer, other differences, if any, are much more subtle.
Hi, could you possibly tell me the difference in midrange (speed, clarity fullness and detail etc) between the 2?because if the vocals and soundstage are the same I feel I'm better off getting the regular ones as I will be saving a bit of money.

Jan 24, 2019 at 5:17 PM Post #674 of 11,982
Hi, could you possibly tell me the difference in midrange (speed, clarity fullness and detail etc) between the 2?because if the vocals and soundstage are the same I feel I'm better off getting the regular ones as I will be saving a bit of money.

If you want the cleanest and most detailed midrange get the pro, if you don't mind some extra warmth/body to the mids at the expense of some clarity and detail you can get the regular ones. I only have about 10 hours on the Kanas so things might still change slightly over time.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2019 at 5:23 PM Post #675 of 11,982
Is it making a difference in the SQ?

For me yes on the sony zx300, all daps and amps are different when going to balanced. Sometimes you just more power with no noticeable sq changes. The zx300 is quite a step up from,SE to 4.4mm balanced overall. So, for me yes balanced made a change for the better . its not night and day of course, but the low end is tighter and more controlled than it already was, highs are a touch more detailed but still rolled off a bit, mids are fairly the same honestly , imaging is slightly better. All of this has happened with my ex1k too, its just how that daps balanced out sounds compared to the SE. So simply going balanced doesnt mean somethings going to change on any hp, its all how its done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back