Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Jul 24, 2020 at 7:57 PM Post #6,046 of 12,011
Gotcha, thanks!

Is this even possible to use on the Blessing though, isn't the damper fixed to the resin?

@MOONDROP ?
damper is not absolutely fixed to resin, it was like "pushed" into it. we still don't recommend tweak these by yourself though, could damage the tubing structure.

Moondrop Stay updated on Moondrop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/moondroplab/ https://x.com/MoondropLab https://www.instagram.com/moondroplab/ https://www.moondroplab.com https://discord.gg/qJrSWrT
Jul 25, 2020 at 4:18 AM Post #6,047 of 12,011
damper is not absolutely fixed to resin, it was like "pushed" into it
cFY6iqg.gif

Jul 25, 2020 at 1:28 PM Post #6,048 of 12,011
1595697997207.png

has anyone successfully eq'ed out this spike?
What I want:
the tips you are using,
the Q value
the (negative) gain value

Thanks so much!! these three pieces of information from S8 "veterans" will help me enjoy this IEM much more. The main problem that I have is the splashy cymabls in classic rock, though not immediately noticeable, is annoying in the long listening sessions.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2020 at 1:41 PM Post #6,049 of 12,011

What I want:
the tips you are using,
the Q value

Thanks so much!! these three pieces of information from S8 "veterans" will help me enjoy this IEM much more. The main problem that I have is the splashy cymabls in classic rock, though not immediately noticeable, gets on my nerves in long listening sessions.

What EQ are you using and which song are you hearing the cymbals being too splashy? Splashiness is mostly in the 5-10kHz range; depends on the kind of cymbal being played by the drummer and also on a song to song/mix basis. If you can tell me the song and section, I can pinpoint the problematic frequency for you.

Jul 25, 2020 at 1:48 PM Post #6,050 of 12,011
1595697997207.png
What I want:
the tips you are using,
the Q value

Thanks so much!! these three pieces of information from S8 "veterans" will help me enjoy this IEM much more. The main problem that I have is the splashy cymabls in classic rock, though not immediately noticeable, is annoying in the long listening sessions.

headphone measurement above 10khz not accurate according to audio science ppl, u can ignore tht

also cymbal splashiness closer to 8 khz, u can reduce this with sony hybrid tips

Jul 25, 2020 at 1:48 PM Post #6,051 of 12,011
It could be self-confirmation bias/placebo, but I find that there is a certain grain with the stock tuning. And, when I eq down the 16k spike, I feel like it's a little easier listen, the grain is gone. Although, the soundstage loses a very slightly depth.

I could be just crazy, is 16k even relevant in terms of eq or overall tuning?

Jul 25, 2020 at 1:50 PM Post #6,052 of 12,011
It could be self-confirmation bias/placebo, but I find that there is a certain grain with the stock tuning. And, when I eq down the 16k spike, I feel like it's a little easier listen, the grain is gone. Although, the soundstage loses a very slightly depth.

I could be just crazy, is 16k even relevant in terms of eq or overall tuning?

ya 16khz is relevant (especially if u r young), but 16khz measurements that ppl publish r not mecessarily accurate on those FR graphs because of difference between human ear and measuring machine

Jul 25, 2020 at 1:55 PM Post #6,054 of 12,011
Jul 26, 2020 at 5:00 AM Post #6,056 of 12,011
1595697997207.png
What I want:
the tips you are using,
the Q value

that 17khz is just perceived as "air", "openness", cymbals and hihat extension mostly around 8khz, if you feel that too sibilance, you can tame them with piece cut of cotton, or wool fabric, materials that can absorb the clings sound. Easy way is using foam eartips, like @FastAndClean said.
while splashing crash is around 6khz, this mostly if too much will cause splashy, intense, shouty sounds, but ssshhhh sibilances mostly from 8khz. soft tizziness smooth ssssssssssssss is disturbance around 10-12khz. 15khz and above giving feeling of air, spaciousness. too much of it wont cause sibilance, but affecting weird tonality as unnatural soundstage.

Jul 26, 2020 at 6:52 AM Post #6,057 of 12,011
On first listen with the stock cable the Moondrop Starfield is nice, harmanesque, non fatiguing, and pleasant. Maybe because of the 3.5mm matching blue cable most owners may just stay with the Starfield just like that, a matching set. A nice IEM.........BUT forgetting about colours and matching cables and putting on a balanced 4.4mm, changes the Starfield to a bit of a tiger with claws. Bass suddenly starts to come through and 'Mr nice guy IEM' gets some teeth as the bass gets defined and adds impact. Seems that the driver really needs kicking to get some life out of it. The 4.4mm balanced does that. Otherwise the Starfield can be a bit too polite. Wake your Starfield up!

Jul 26, 2020 at 9:13 AM Post #6,058 of 12,011
I bought the Blessing 2 from eBay. I live in London! Lucky for me the seller lived very near to me. I was able to meet him , and pick them up. A lot of iems these days are overly hyped. Most of the time from dodgy reviewers. I read a lot of hype about these. I wasn't sure if they fitted my sound signature..I own a pair of the starfields, which I love. .Mostly, I was impressed with the moondrop starfields exquisite tuning. While at times they can get a bit congested on faster tracks also the bass can be flabby at times, they are tuned so well it overides their deficiences. So, I decided to pull the trigger on the blessing 2. I was not disappointed. While not the best at everything, they are an extremely versatile and resolute iem. Again, the tuning is superb. I have heard many people complain about the bass or a lack of sub bass rumble. I am a drum n bass dj... Bass is my thing! To my ears the bass hits beautifully. It stays in the background but hits very very deep. The thing here is, it's a supporting act to the wonderful midrange. It leaves a huge canvas for the mids to shine! The bass has beautiful tonality , texture and weight. The staging, imaging and separation is what sets these apart. They are close to perfect. I burnt them in, the drivers have settled nicely. I hear no shoutiness now, which I hate! The balance between having a bright neutral sound at the same time being able to produce rich tones without sound to cold or too dark is in itself a fantastic achievement! I got these for a very , very good price in the end. I'm not into giant killer talk. For the price, these really are as good as it gets. Closing that gap with the Andromedas and Solaris of this world more than most. I also own the I basso it01s, Dunu dk2001, ikko oh 10, Tinhifi p1, Legacy 3 all are superb. The only other iem that I would put in the same price/performance bracket is the Isn h40. A cult classic! I feel blessed. Great job Moondrop!

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2020 at 8:35 AM Post #6,059 of 12,011
That tool is a tap. If you want a version that can't potentially poke through this is the one I use (below drill bit, which was my original tool on the non-cutting side):

20190329_143401.jpg

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32719734823.html
Sold in pairs, but you maybe able to message and request a single.
I already ordered one without the stopper, but shouldn't matter in my case as the material is already loose, nothing to poke there. For reference I would be interested on what the length of the tip is on the tool?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back