Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Jun 28, 2020 at 2:42 PM Post #5,821 of 11,979
Sensible and honest review wished I'd read it first before ordering and do people who have the SSR now send it back because of the cable issue?
Thanks. And cable issue haven't been report so far for people around me.
I guess it's more of the design flaw that affect quality control process?

Jun 28, 2020 at 4:31 PM Post #5,823 of 11,979
i'm using LG G7 in high impedance mode (trigger it by using impedance adapter 60ohm )when i try kxxs , i also has zen dac at home .

Well, have you tried the KXXS on Zen dac? To be honest, I don't think it's a power-related issue. I'd try tip-rolling with high-quality eartips such as AZLA Sednas, Final E, Spiral Dots, etc... So you can figure out if you can get the extra mileage that you're missing.

In my case, the KXXS sounds waaay better with AZLA Sednas than the stock tips.

Jun 28, 2020 at 5:28 PM Post #5,824 of 11,979
Well, have you tried the KXXS on Zen dac? To be honest, I don't think it's a power-related issue. I'd try tip-rolling with high-quality eartips such as AZLA Sednas, Final E, Spiral Dots, etc... So you can figure out if you can get the extra mileage that you're missing.

Not tried it on zen dac yet since they don't has zen dac on the store and i don't carry it around either, may be i should just yolo buy and try to figure the thing out as you said.

Jun 28, 2020 at 5:53 PM Post #5,825 of 11,979

I 100% agree. Ear tips often times make a huge difference. AZLA Sedna Earfit, JVC Spiral Dot, and Final Audio Type E tips are all great, but I’m not sure which would be best for the combination of the KXXS and your ears. Unfortunately, it takes experimentation. I’ve basically been collecting recommended ear tips, just like collecting shoes, belts, or any other accessory, ever since I realized how much of a difference they can make on the sound. ePro horn-shaped ear tips, Spin Fit CP100, and Spin Fit CP145 can also work great for certain applications.

Jun 28, 2020 at 5:57 PM Post #5,826 of 11,979
I 100% agree. Ear tips often times make a huge difference. AZLA Sedna Earfit, JVC Spiral Dot, and Final Audio Type E tips are all great, but I’m not sure which would be best for the combination of the KXXS and your ears. Unfortunately, it takes experimentation. I’ve basically been collecting recommended ear tips, just like collecting shoes, belts, or any other accessory, ever since I realized how much of a difference they can make on the sound. ePro horn-shaped ear tips, Spin Fit CP100, and Spin Fit CP145 can also work great for certain applications.

Auvios, FlipTips, Rock Zircons, Tennmak Whirlwind, Sony Hybrids, Mandarin Symbios

Jun 28, 2020 at 6:55 PM Post #5,827 of 11,979
Nothing better to do what with this quarantine, so I might as well just drop this now. Here's my Moondrop SSR review on Head-Fi and on my site as well.

TL;DR - Very solid technicalities for the price marred by an esoteric tuning that goes a little too far in the pursuit of weeb/Anime OST music presentation. Not bad for $40, but I'm inclined to say that the Starfield and B2 are better value propositions for their respective price brackets.

Here's some eye candy for those of you who don't want to read it. Let me know if you have any questions!

IMG_4566 2.JPG

IMG_9565 2.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_8426 2.JPG
    IMG_8426 2.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jun 28, 2020 at 7:16 PM Post #5,828 of 11,979
Fortunately for us consumers, but possibly unfortunately for Moondrop, the cable issues have probably caused a lot of people to put a pause on purchases, after the initial hype. However, I think now there are a ton of people eagerly awaiting the SSP, since everything about the SSR seems great, except for the tuning, that doesn’t agree with a lot of tastes.

Jun 28, 2020 at 7:25 PM Post #5,829 of 11,979
1593386575568.png

As an FYI - this is the SSR vs the actual Diffuse Field target. Etymotic's target curve is nowadays less shouty and much tamer treble

E5AC9E0C-C443-4D89-B82D-25C068C26B19.jpeg

Interesting similarities between these two in terms of frequency response.

This is why I own both of these IEMs. :) I own the Viento B though.

Jun 28, 2020 at 7:44 PM Post #5,830 of 11,979
As an FYI - this is the SSR vs the actual Diffuse Field target. Etymotic's target curve is nowadays less shouty and much tamer treble
Thanks! I didn’t realize that the SSR was actually that close to a true diffuse field target, and that it had and elevated midbass. For me, it‘s almost always the upper mids that bother me more than the treble. Still really looking forward to the SSP though.

Jun 29, 2020 at 5:57 AM Post #5,831 of 11,979
Thanks! I didn’t realize that the SSR was actually that close to a true diffuse field target, and that it had and elevated midbass. For me, it‘s almost always the upper mids that bother me more than the treble. Still really looking forward to the SSP though.
Would really hope the bass would balance out the upper mid.

Jun 29, 2020 at 6:06 AM Post #5,832 of 11,979
I've received my SSR, they are excellent IMO, too bad you guys can't buy them anymore ATM... :wink:

Jun 29, 2020 at 1:59 PM Post #5,834 of 11,979
I loved SSR ❤ Finished its review in 2 days.

Small form factor and astronautlike resemblence from afar gave this iem the shine.
The name Super Spaceship Reference is %100 correct. VERY unlike KZs with the same price, this iem (and I guess Kbear Kb04) is a champ at budget range.
With many +s in its sound beginning with forward yet neutral sound, I observed 1) a small fault in its construction 2) Metallicness at only 100/100 volume. Nothing else.

https://kulakligim.net/kulakici/moondrop-ssr-incelemesi

Ps: My website is in Turkish. But you can google translate or understand what I wrote by its 9.5 score ☺

Jun 29, 2020 at 3:31 PM Post #5,835 of 11,979
Hey guys, just want to mention if anyone needs an extra Moondrop cable ($20), pm me. I upgraded my S8 cable to a silver cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back