Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Jun 22, 2020 at 5:55 PM Post #5,766 of 12,003
Is it just the pics or are they really that yellow-amberish bad gold imitation? A gold finish can be handsome but when you miss it can be quite garish and fake looking.
They are brass with gold playing.

Moondrop Stay updated on Moondrop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.moondroplab.com
Jun 22, 2020 at 5:58 PM Post #5,767 of 12,003
They are brass with gold playing.
I hope the brass isn’t too heavy. I would think polished brass would look a lot better than the gold plating.

Jun 22, 2020 at 6:32 PM Post #5,768 of 12,003
I hope the brass isn’t too heavy. I would think polished brass would look a lot better than the gold plating.

Bare polished brass would tarnish immediately, if not protected by some sort of coating. Gold plating stops the brass from tarnishing. So would some sort of clear varnish or clear coat.

Over the years I’ve polished and gold plated thousands of brass buttons for the uniforms of police and soldiers. The gold plating saves them from having to polish the buttons every time they need to wear their uniform. If not gold plated, the brass buttons tarnish.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2020 at 6:45 PM Post #5,769 of 12,003
Bare polished brass would tarnish immediately, if not protected by some sort of coating. Gold plating stops the brass from tarnishing. So would some sort of clear varnish or clear coat.

Over the years I’ve polished and gold plated thousands of brass buttons for the uniforms of police and soldiers. The gold plating saves them from having to polish the buttons every time they need to wear their uniform. If not gold plated, the brass buttons tarnish.
I completely agree.

I meant to mention a clear coat. Basically, I prefer a natural polished brass look. I just don’t like the looks of that gold plating, but that’s just my 2c, which isn’t even worth that much :relaxed: .

Jun 22, 2020 at 7:12 PM Post #5,770 of 12,003
I completely agree.

I meant to mention a clear coat. Basically, I prefer a natural polished brass look. I just don’t like the looks of that gold plating, but that’s just my 2c, which isn’t even worth that much :relaxed: .

Kind of like the Faaeal Crescent? It’s a solid brass shell. I always thought it was a good looking shell.

AA8EEFDA-A4EE-41EF-B626-7A4FA6BA0B7F.jpeg
44997CA9-B0FB-42B3-B2B4-CD016853A559.jpeg
29F538F7-6C4C-46E1-98B2-EAEDEF8E6C95.jpeg

Also these polished brass shells are cool:

153D571E-54B4-46EA-BB57-702E068D2D9F.jpeg

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2020 at 7:55 PM Post #5,771 of 12,003
Kind of like the Faaeal Crescent? It’s a solid brass shell. I always thought it was a good looking shell.

AA8EEFDA-A4EE-41EF-B626-7A4FA6BA0B7F.jpeg
44997CA9-B0FB-42B3-B2B4-CD016853A559.jpeg
29F538F7-6C4C-46E1-98B2-EAEDEF8E6C95.jpeg

Also these polished brass shells are cool:

153D571E-54B4-46EA-BB57-702E068D2D9F.jpeg

FAAEAL Crescent shells are Zn-Mg alloy and come with two choice of finish, bronze or cooper. (Bought one of the latter this sale).

Master & Dynamic ME05 shell are supposed to be highly polished solid brass and they don't seem to tarnish (to a point I 'm wondering if they aren't gold plated).

My SSR is to be delivered shortly btw, I've been notified they are in the country.

Jun 22, 2020 at 10:43 PM Post #5,772 of 12,003
I completely agree.

Then you mean just like our old school IEM, the MOONDROP IX?

Attachments

• New-Moondrop-IX-In-Ear-Earphone-HIFI-Headset-Retro-Copper-Metal-Earphone-Headset-Earplugs-Earb...jpg
    New-Moondrop-IX-In-Ear-Earphone-HIFI-Headset-Retro-Copper-Metal-Earphone-Headset-Earplugs-Earb...jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 0

Jun 22, 2020 at 10:44 PM Post #5,773 of 12,003
Tell me, when will blessing 2 go on sale? Sellers do not send and in the moondrop store the headphones are gone. Are there any difficulties with production?
Shortages of BA driver supply, plus we did a sale on these like 1 week ago...

Jun 22, 2020 at 10:44 PM Post #5,774 of 12,003
FAAEAL Crescent shells are Zn-Mg alloy and come with two choice of finish, bronze or cooper. (Bought one of the latter this sale).

Master & Dynamic ME05 shell are supposed to be highly polished solid brass and they don't seem to tarnish (to a point I 'm wondering if they aren't gold plated).

My SSR is to be delivered shortly btw, I've been notified they are in the country.

My mistake. I thought the Crescent shell was available in copper or brass material. It must just be painted to look like copper or brass.

So to keep on topic, is the Starfield basically just a painted KXXS? Or is the sound tuning different?

Jun 22, 2020 at 10:47 PM Post #5,775 of 12,003
My mistake. I thought the Crescent shell was available in copper or brass material. It must just be painted to look like copper or brass.

So to keep on topic, is the Starfield basically just a painted KXXS? Or is the sound tuning different?
As previously mentioned, the housing was from these "imperfect" KXXS shells which didn't have perfect mirror finish. While the diaphragm for KXXS are DLC coated and for starfield is super aligned carbon nanotube coated. The cable is also different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back