Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Jun 3, 2020 at 12:10 PM Post #5,491 of 11,979
Thanks Poganin. I think I have a DIY Toxic cable laying around somewhere. I’ll put that on it.

Useful perspective about the boredom factor, dharmasteve. I understand what you mean. Polite and natural sigs can be underwhelming, particularly when coming from something more intense or energetic. That said, I’ve always found those the most addictive in the long term.

Perhaps I’ll get the Starfield as my budget option and then something mid tier and more exciting.
I would take a well balanced, well tuned, boring IEM every day of the week over an exciting, energetic, but quickly fatiguing IEM. All of my favorites could probably be described by some as boring.

Jun 3, 2020 at 4:09 PM Post #5,492 of 11,979
I would take a well balanced, well tuned, boring IEM every day of the week over an exciting, energetic, but quickly fatiguing IEM. All of my favorites could probably be described by some as boring.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with a "boring" IEM. The Starfield still sounds very good and can surprise you from time to time. I would say that its non-fatiguing nature and excellent comfort are conducive to long listening sessions. Conversely, though the B2 sounds exciting, coupled with its poor comfort, it eventually wearies me.

Jun 3, 2020 at 4:42 PM Post #5,493 of 11,979
There is absolutely nothing wrong with a "boring" IEM. The Starfield still sounds very good and can surprise you from time to time. I would say that its non-fatiguing nature and excellent comfort are conducive to long listening sessions. Conversely, though the B2 sounds exciting, coupled with its poor comfort, it eventually wearies me.

Not sure I'd categorize the B2 as "exciting". It is definitely tuned with some decent energy in the upper mids and up. May work well for classical, but I don't think people are gonna get up and start shaking their hips during their listening...

But that's just me 🤣

Jun 3, 2020 at 5:51 PM Post #5,494 of 11,979
Not sure I'd categorize the B2 as "exciting". It is definitely tuned with some decent energy in the upper mids and up. May work well for classical, but I don't think people are gonna get up and start shaking their hips during their listening...

But that's just me 🤣
Yeah, I guess there‘s a few different types of exciting, such bass head, or OCD detail with prominent upper mids, or very extended airy treble. I can tolerate bass head sound the longest of these 3 “exciting” signatures. I cannot tolerate very bright treble for even brief periods. OCD detail is fascinating at first. but wearies me.

Jun 3, 2020 at 6:17 PM Post #5,495 of 11,979
Yeah, I guess there‘s a few different types of exciting, such bass head, or OCD detail with prominent upper mids, or very extended airy treble. I can tolerate bass head sound the longest of these 3 “exciting” signatures. I cannot tolerate very bright treble for even brief periods. OCD detail is fascinating at first. but wearies me.
Cannot stand fake 'detailed' sigs. I've recently tried several 'high-end' AKG iems, and they boosted the treble, and I assume to fool people into thinking the V-shaped response causes more details. I just found it annoying and fatiguing and couldn't stand them. In the long run, such responses cannot be good for your hearing or cause shorter enjoyment of hearing music content. Just causes auditory annoyance that I cannot stand. We need good detailed fatigue free iems. Not nasty treble boosted crap.

I'm particularly a fan of Empire Ears dynamic drivers they use for bass, although I find their tunings all over the place. @MOONDROP Can you do bass like that?

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2020 at 4:24 AM Post #5,498 of 11,979
Cannot stand fake 'detailed' sigs. I've recently tried several 'high-end' AKG iems, and they boosted the treble, and I assume to fool people into thinking the V-shaped response causes more details. I just found it annoying and fatiguing and couldn't stand them. In the long run, such responses cannot be good for your hearing or cause shorter enjoyment of hearing music content. Just causes auditory annoyance that I cannot stand. We need good detailed fatigue free iems. Not nasty treble boosted crap.

I'm particularly a fan of Empire Ears dynamic drivers they use for bass, although I find their tunings all over the place. @MOONDROP Can you do bass like that?

No fake treble on these Starfields. The Starfields have a Harmanesque tuning and are IMHO very natural and organic sounding. They just sound 'good'. There is not one 'wow' feature....but they are very coherent and just sound.....GOOD. Can't imagine many not liking this tuning. The build is solid and their comfort is good. These are a pair that make music sound good. Great timbre and tone IMHO.

Jun 4, 2020 at 7:50 PM Post #5,499 of 11,979
@MOONDROP Any plans for other Wood Color Blessing 2? I'm highly interested in Purple
Currently not... The wood blessing 2 we have now had their faceplates bulk ordered from suppliers, we haven't think about purple wood yet

Moondrop Stay updated on Moondrop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.moondroplab.com
Jun 4, 2020 at 7:53 PM Post #5,500 of 11,979

I haven't heard them for quite some while, can't really promise anything... basically what do these sounds like?

Moondrop Stay updated on Moondrop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.moondroplab.com
Jun 4, 2020 at 10:38 PM Post #5,501 of 11,979
The Starfield are my go-to's right now with the M6. They make for a pretty great paring IMO. I am using them with comply tips, the standard tips hurt my ears - but that's nothing new, most standard tips do. Sound wise, they are pretty fantastic. I never used any higher priced IEMs, so I can't really compare them there. But honestly, I think they hit the diminishing returns mark. Sure, I could shell out several times as much cash for something better, but what the Starfield deliver is so good, I don't even know how much more sound quality I could even wish for? If that makes sense.

Jun 4, 2020 at 10:39 PM Post #5,502 of 11,979
I haven't heard them for quite some while, can't really promise anything... basically what do these sounds like?
The bass is very clean without looseness to the sound, and impacts fast and hard. The control is pretty impressive. I generally find it to impact harder than I prefer can for those with sensitive bass hearing, the bass can get fatiguing due to such great level of impact. As for as their upper frequency tuning, nothing special. I just think their bass driver (dynamic driver) is pretty good.

Some people would consider it bass-head level due to it's eccentricities, but it's is a pretty good technical quality bass. It's not a bass-head bass in a traditional sense due to how clean the bass is presented. It's distinct sounding from the rest of the spectrum due to how tight it is, but I could see people think it stands out too much. I just find it very satisfying in the way it hits.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2020 at 10:43 PM Post #5,503 of 11,979
The Starfield are my go-to's right now with the M6. They make for a pretty great paring IMO. I am using them with comply tips, the standard tips hurt my ears - but that's nothing new, most standard tips do. Sound wise, they are pretty fantastic. I never used any higher priced IEMs, so I can't really compare them there. But honestly, I think they hit the diminishing returns mark. Sure, I could shell out several times as much cash for something better, but what the Starfield deliver is so good, I don't even know how much more sound quality I could even wish for? If that makes sense.
Moondrop iem with shanling dap also my go to, they pair so well hahaha

Jun 5, 2020 at 2:23 AM Post #5,504 of 11,979
I am interested in a B2 vs. RE-600v2 comparison. The RE-600v2 is my favorite neutral-bright earphone that I own. I have been eyeing the B2.

I've had a few hours with the Blessing 2s and I must say I have no desire to go back... except for comfort.
The bass was the most surprising difference. The sub-bass pressure/impact is immense compared to the RE-600. Once you get over that things start to sound quite neutral. I haven't listened to mid/high-end IEMs in quite some time, but the mids are great -- detailed with male vocals just barely behind female. I was concerned about this bit of info from a few different reviews, but in my opinion there's nothing to worry about here. Treble is extended and well balanced.

Back to the comfort issue, the body of it presses very lightly up against the highest ridge of my right ear, but not my left. My left ear has 2 points of contact: top of the ear (where the cable drapes over) and the tip in my ear canal. For both ears I can press it in but the medium tips don't really want to go any farther. After listening for a few hours at a time without noticing pain/discomfort, as soon as I take them off there is some feeling of relief. I suspect this is due to two things:
1. The thin shrink wrap on the ear bends of the cable which leave fairly sharp wire ridges in contact with your ear
2. The shear mass of these bois. They're hefty. 5x heavier than the RE-600s, even with a portion the RE-600's cable. There is also a heavy metal disk at the cable's Y-split. This exacerbates #1.

Keep in mind I'm not the type to build a collection of IEMs. I generally hard switch from one to the next as they break unless(!) I'm lucky enough to hear something I like, something that is a clear upgrade with excellent value. I took a chance on these and for the sound I'm 100% satisfied. I expect discomfort issues will pass. If they don't I'll try cable guides(?) and different tips. Cheers!

Moondrop Blessing 2 vs. RE-600 v2 mass
20200604_220515.jpg20200604_225030.jpg
keyword: weight

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2020 at 4:40 AM Post #5,505 of 11,979
I've had a few hours with the Blessing 2s and I must say I have no desire to go back... except for comfort.
The bass was the most surprising difference. The sub-bass pressure/impact is immense compared to the RE-600. Once you get over that things start to sound quite neutral. I haven't listened to mid/high-end IEMs in quite some time, but the mids are great -- detailed with male vocals just barely behind female. I was concerned about this bit of info from a few different reviews, but in my opinion there's nothing to worry about here. Treble is extended and well balanced.

Back to the comfort issue, the body of it presses very lightly up against the highest ridge of my right ear, but not my left. My left ear has 2 points of contact: top of the ear (where the cable drapes over) and the tip in my ear canal. For both ears I can press it in but the medium tips don't really want to go any farther. After listening for a few hours at a time without noticing pain/discomfort, as soon as I take them off there is some feeling of relief. I suspect this is due to two things:
1. The thin shrink wrap on the ear bends of the cable which leave fairly sharp wire ridges in contact with your ear
2. The shear mass of these bois. They're hefty. 5x heavier than the RE-600s, even with a portion the RE-600's cable. There is also a heavy metal disk at the cable's Y-split. This exacerbates #1.

Keep in mind I'm not the type to build a collection of IEMs. I generally hard switch from one to the next as they break unless(!) I'm lucky enough to hear something I like, something that is a clear upgrade with excellent value. I took a chance on these and for the sound I'm 100% satisfied. I expect discomfort issues will pass. If they don't I'll try cable guides(?) and different tips. Cheers!

Moondrop Blessing 2 vs. RE-600 v2 mass
20200604_220515.jpg20200604_225030.jpg
keyword: weight
Thank you for the comparison. Good information. I very well may get a set of the B2s. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back