Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Apr 1, 2020 at 8:56 PM Post #4,861 of 12,011
This is why the market for expensive IEMs is limited. I'll buy it only after auditioning, but auditioning facilities add to the overhead and price and can't compete with online retailers. The resulting fewer purchases means higher cost per unit and reduced economies of scale resulting in continued high prices. Something's gotta give. Either they reduce the price of the item and cut into their profits, or invest in 'promotion' and advertorials to induce people to buy unheard.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2020 at 9:02 PM Post #4,862 of 12,011
This is why the market for expensive IEMs is limited. I'll buy it only after auditioning, but auditioning facilities add to the overhead and price and can't compete with online retailers. The resulting fewer purchases means higher cost per unit and reduced economies of scale resulting in continued high prices. Something's gotta give. Either they reduce the price of the item and cut into their profits, or invest in 'promotion' and advertorials.

Have been distant from the boards till recent (been happily distant haha) so I don't how or if companies still practice tour demos. I think Moondrop is trying to start one up. I've had that pleasure years back being more of a "comment provider" than being an actual reviewer. Gawd, I've face palm myself reading terrible reviewer types (don't want to get started lol).

They should organize more tours.

Apr 1, 2020 at 9:06 PM Post #4,863 of 12,011
Have been distant from the boards till recent (been happily distant haha) so I don't how or if companies still practice tour demos. I think Moondrop is trying to start one up. I've had that pleasure years back being more of a "comment provider" than being an actual reviewer. Gawd, I've face palm myself reading terrible reviewer types (don't want to get started lol).

They should organize more tours.
I am happy for Moondrop to invite me to Jakarta for their auditioning event. Pay for my accommodation, and I'll fly there myself.

Apr 1, 2020 at 9:15 PM Post #4,865 of 12,011
I might be wrong, but arent Moondrop using their own modified version of the harman-target which they call VDSF?

From what I've read that seems to apply more to the Blessing 2 where the Starfield is a more orthodox Harman tuning from my measurements. Apart from that, your guess is as good as mine :)

My take on the Starfield - very well behaved, polite, balanced and competent, but missing a bit of air and sparkle at the top as well as a bit of spaciousness. They do not do everything right but they do nothing wrong. Few thrills but no spills.

Well said, versatile, no fatal compromise but not the best technically, as you would expect for a $100 earphone.

Can you share where you found this information about VDSF?

Just dug this up:

"Virtual diffusion sound field (VDSF) technology

Virtual diffusion sound field is a concept we put forward in the development of earbuds and earphones. The goal is to realize the sound field and tone expressed by the master tape recording.

VDSF includes a variety of technical applications, including Target Response based on the performance of B&HATS's HRTF function in the frequency domain in the Diffusion field, and ultra-low-band response optimization for the micro-sound vibration area and physical. Improve the reduction of the diffused sound field faced by the micro-speaker to the master monitor."

Additionally, Moondrop have mentioned, with regards to the S8, that VDSF is based on subjective listening tests as well.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2020 at 10:33 PM Post #4,866 of 12,011
In regards to Harman tuning situation, I've experienced fatiguing response from the new True Wireless Galaxy Buds+. It sounds like there was a bit too much 7-8k energy, yet, it looks the closest to Harman I've seen on a response. I don't know if it's due to it's an AKG tuning as I dislike AKG tuning, particularly the K3003 or N5005. There's too much emphasis with the treble, and they get fatiguing fast. Unlike Moondrop iems, which are for long listening sessions due to non-fatiguing response.

I looked at the new Urbanfun iem, and it has me thinking that I will hear similar treble emphasis at 8k.
I only have the original buds. But looking from Crin's graph & his review, buds+ does sounds more fatiguing than the original.

Apr 1, 2020 at 11:35 PM Post #4,868 of 12,011
It's just weird he didn't cover any mode besides the stock in his review. It felt like an incomplete review or a bit careless.

What do you mean 'mode'? You mean how it sounds after you perform modification to it? non-stock?
You really expect reviewers to mod the IEM and write about its sound signature to qualify as complete review?
come on.

edit: oh you meant different mode as 'in-app EQ'? sorry my bad

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2020 at 1:05 AM Post #4,871 of 12,011
I might be wrong, but arent Moondrop using their own modified version of the harman-target which they call VDSF?
The VDSF is not a Harman modification. It's a Diffuse Field modification

Even Moondrop CEO himself disagree with his IEM being Harman neutral.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2020 at 3:44 AM Post #4,872 of 12,011
Apr 2, 2020 at 4:19 AM Post #4,873 of 12,011
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/moondrops-new-website-lending-library-survey.928897/

Moondrop possibly has a loaner program coming up and is apparently a headfi sponsor now. Good stuff. Always wanted to try their higher end gear but couldn't audition before hand and was a bit of a risk for a blind buy.

I hope this is not an april fool's joke LOL.
No, it's not a april fool's joke. They have started the program way before the april fool's. Iirc, since 2 weeks ago

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2020 at 4:30 AM Post #4,874 of 12,011
Apr 2, 2020 at 5:52 AM Post #4,875 of 12,011
I hope enough germans sign in :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back