Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Jan 15, 2019 at 9:27 PM Post #451 of 11,982
Thanks for impressions between two of them. Tansio Mirai also bugged me the other time before decided to buy KPE.
You said sub bass is better on KPE and wider sound stage, its a plus for me. The only statement you made me worried is mids on KPE a bit dry compared to TSMR3. But from many reviews and impressions i read, i already imagine this iem is towards to bright, not warm

IMHO KPE is very track/recording/mix dependent , if the mix is thin, it'll sound thin. I think voices/mids are pretty much where they are in the mix too, if they are distant in the mix, they'll sound distant, if they are forward in the mix, they'll sound forward. I feel there is little emphasis anywhere in the spectrum apart from sub-bass. I regard them as quite unforgiving and sometimes I wish they had a bit more warmth, other times they had a bit more energy in the upper mids/presence region but on the plus side, as there is no bleed into the mids from either side they generally have pristinely clear and detailed mids as no other earphones I've got. Also due to its sub-bass boost, sometimes sub-bass may bleed into mid-bass and overshadows it a bit.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2019 at 10:03 PM Post #452 of 11,982
IMHO KPE is very track/recording/mix dependent , if the mix is thin, it'll sound thin. I think voices/mids are pretty much where they are in the mix too, if they are distant in the mix, they'll sound distant, if they are forward in the mix, they'll sound forward. I feel there is little emphasis anywhere in the spectrum apart from sub-bass. I regard them as quite unforgiving and sometimes I wish they had a bit more warmth, other times they had a bit more energy in the upper mids/presence region but on the plus side, as there is no bleed into the mids from either side they generally have pristinely clear and detailed mids as no other earphones I've got. Also due to its sub-bass boost, sometimes sub-bass may bleed into mid-bass and overshadows it a bit.
Hmmn, isn't that the rational behind a neutral sound signature?

I agree with it, and it's noticeable with one of the newest songs (Anino) of a local artist (Up Dharma Down) we have here. In one of her older songs (Tadhana), the vocals are a bit recessed, its like the mic is farther away from her face, while in the newest ep she had, the vocals are right up in your face. It feels like she is holding the mic close.

On another note, can someone explain what it means that the KPE requires more power?

I'm using it with a Hidizs Sonata HD and I don't seem to bump it up higher than usual in comparison to the BGVP DMG. I don't consider myself a soft listener, but I usually adjust the volume until the vocals become quite clear. If I adjust volume according to the bass, the vocals becomes way too loud... Will using an amp, or going balanced change anything with the KPE aside from making the volume louder?

Jan 15, 2019 at 10:22 PM Post #453 of 11,982

This is absolutely spot on from my initial impressions.

Jan 15, 2019 at 10:23 PM Post #454 of 11,982
I will also add for now, that the sub bass is phenomenal, these make kick drums sound so dann good and energetic . more to come in the next few days/weeks.

Jan 15, 2019 at 10:58 PM Post #455 of 11,982

Yes, of course but I think it's worth emphasizing as many so-called neutral phones aren't that unforgiving.

Jan 15, 2019 at 11:00 PM Post #456 of 11,982
I will also add for now, that the sub bass is phenomenal, these make kick drums sound so dann good and energetic . more to come in the next few days/weeks.

I bought the regular Kanas too just so I have moar of that sub-bass, lol... won't be here before two or three weeks though.

Jan 15, 2019 at 11:06 PM Post #457 of 11,982

I agree with it, and it's noticeable with one of the newest songs (Anino) of a local artist (Up Dharma Down) we have here. In one of her older songs (Tadhana), the vocals are a bit recessed, its like the mic is farther away from her face, while in the newest ep she had, the vocals are right up in your face. It feels like she is holding the mic close.

Q1. On another note, can someone explain what it means that the KPE requires more power?

Q2. I'm using it with a Hidizs Sonata HD and I don't seem to bump it up higher than usual in comparison to the BGVP DMG. I don't consider myself a soft listener, but I usually adjust the volume until the vocals become quite clear. If I adjust volume according to the bass, the vocals becomes way too loud... Will using an amp, or going balanced change anything with the KPE aside from making the volume louder?

Q2>>> The KPE is not as loud as some IEMs for a given power input. But as you say, they are similar to many. For me they are pretty efficient. But may require a bit more power than the most efficient iems. That is all he means.

This is a long/rambling answer to Q2. Using an amp that has a warm or cold signature/tone can change the sound of any IEM. Kind of like changing the eqialization to one with a bit more bass (warmer), or to one with more trebble (Colder). Also, better quality amps will usualy bring out more details in the sound. Balanced amps are usually better quality and can improve the sound. True balanced amps can decrease noise, especially in long runs of cable. I am no expert, and there are lots of people who hear both IEMS, and Amps, and Balanced vs Single Ended (Unbalanced) differently.
Another thing about amps.. If you have an amp that is just enough power to play loud enough, you may not hear as much bass and dynamics as the IEM is capable. An Amp with adequate power will bring those back. IMHO is you have to turn your amp (or DAP) above 70% to get adequate volume, you may get better sound with a higher powered amp.
And to confuse things more, DACs mad by Different manufacturers (The actual chips) tend to have differnet sound signatures warm, or neutral, or cold... The more you get into audio, the more you may hear subtle differences.
Unless you plan to buy and/or try a lot of equipment, (which this hobby tends to suck you into); And If you like the sound of the KPE with your device, then don't worry too much for a while and enjoy the music ! There is ALWAYS something better/different to try, and try, and try...

Jan 15, 2019 at 11:18 PM Post #458 of 11,982
+1 for this. A lot of people are used into deeply V shaped signature, so when they heard flat balance signature, they feel like mids are overemphasized, or lack in bass / treble. Its very common, especially for someone that first time heard balance / flat signature. but by the time youre listening to balanced signature and get used to it, you can heard how you missed all the details from all frequencies all this time. Its all about preferences

I don't think that is the case for me. My previous IEM was the BGVP DM6 which have flat vocals too. And I did't have any problems with vocals except for the warmth which may not suit my perference. Vocals sounded like it is main point of the song when it was supposed to but not too overemphasized.

On some songs, I felt like there was a special separate layer for mids and mids went above other frequencies. Lol

Anyway, I may want to try out Kanas / Kanas Pro again before ending of winter sales on aliexpress.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2019 at 11:38 PM Post #459 of 11,982
Yes, of course but I think it's worth emphasizing as many so-called neutral phones aren't that unforgiving.
Understood. Haha, in my extremely limited experience, I just got a bit confused as the way it runs through my naive mind is that the more neutral-ish, and the more details that are pulled, then it directly correlates that it would be more unforgiving... like it's a given that a neutral sounding high resolving iem should be very critical and unforgiving. If it's not unforgiving, then it's not really neutral and it's just approaching neutrality. True Neutral alignment is hard... :D

Q2>>> The KPE is not as loud as some IEMs for a given power input. But as you say, they are similar to many. For me they are pretty efficient. But may require a bit more power than the most efficient iems. That is all he means.

This is a long/rambling answer to Q2. Using an amp that has a warm or cold signature/tone can change the sound of any IEM. Kind of like changing the eqialization to one with a bit more bass (warmer), or to one with more trebble (Colder). Also, better quality amps will usualy bring out more details in the sound. Balanced amps are usually better quality and can improve the sound. True balanced amps can decrease noise, especially in long runs of cable. I am no expert, and there are lots of people who hear both IEMS, and Amps, and Balanced vs Single Ended (Unbalanced) differently.
Another thing about amps.. If you have an amp that is just enough power to play loud enough, you may not hear as much bass and dynamics as the IEM is capable. An Amp with adequate power will bring those back. IMHO is you have to turn your amp (or DAP) above 70% to get adequate volume, you may get better sound with a higher powered amp.
And to confuse things more, DACs mad by Different manufacturers (The actual chips) tend to have differnet sound signatures warm, or neutral, or cold... The more you get into audio, the more you may hear subtle differences.
Unless you plan to buy and/or try a lot of equipment, (which this hobby tends to suck you into); And If you like the sound of the KPE with your device, then don't worry too much for a while and enjoy the music ! There is ALWAYS something better/different to try, and try, and try...
I have read a bit about amps, but I didn't think they would affect sound that much @.@ I figured, that the changes should be quite subtle for amps incomparison to changing earphones and source... Aside from getting sucked into the hype of buying some of the low cost earbuds/iems strictly for fun, the only other expense above 100 USD that I'm looking at is to get a FiiO M6 which is said to have a neutral-bright (which has been described by some as boring) sound signature, has Spotify Offline, can carry the limited amount of songs I have in flac, and be portable enough for easy edc.

With what you're saying, unless I get something that would need an amp, I think I'll shy away and actively attempt to avoid looking at amps to resist temptation as long as I can possibly can... for the sake of my wallet (and sanity). XD

Jan 15, 2019 at 11:49 PM Post #460 of 11,982
This is exactly how I hear them too. You’ve got it right when you say that the KP does nothing to help out a thin track (unlike something like the Whizzer Kylin). I find the very neutral and evenly balanced for the most part. Never comes on like a juggernaut.

Jan 16, 2019 at 12:28 AM Post #462 of 11,982

This description is spot-on IMHO.
Additionally I find them very tip dependent, the balance between low, mid and high frequencies can change quite a bit depending on tip and seal.
With the custom silicone tips I had made they became warmer compared to the standard tips and I can adjust between perfect seal and a slightly loose fit which changes the bass weight a bit. I seem to prefer a slightly loose fit as the bass can be too much in quantity for me with some songs (I like a neutral balance)

But that brings me to the second point, they show the differences between my sources very clearly.
Therefore any comparison without listing the source can be misleading IMHO as what you hear through the KPE is the sound characteristic of that source.
What they seem to maintain with all of the sources is a smooth, liquid and detailed presentation. I suppose that also has something to do with the low distortion. And I suppose a treble head might want more. I am treble sensitive, but the KPE treble is so good I would not mind more (treble) sometimes.

Again- take my opinion with a grain of salt, my experience with IEMs is limited so I am not aware of what else is out there!
For me they are a game changer. I now take IEMs very serious.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2019 at 4:48 AM Post #463 of 11,982
+1 for this. A lot of people are used into deeply V shaped signature, so when they heard flat balance signature, they feel like mids are overemphasized, or lack in bass / treble. Its very common, especially for someone that first time heard balance / flat signature. but by the time youre listening to balanced signature and get used to it, you can heard how you missed all the details from all frequencies all this time. Its all about preferences
Agree with this one. Many don`t even want to admit it at beginning. When asked to take time and adjust brain/hearing, going back to their more V-shaped IEM, are buffled about differences.
I bought the regular Kanas too just so I have moar of that sub-bass, lol... won't be here before two or three weeks though.
IF I want more "roar" in sub-bass with PRO, I will change my DX5X HO capacitors and won`t need another Kanas :D

I have read a bit about amps, but I didn't think they would affect sound that much @.@
Amping and amp specs along with source gear output specs can make noticeable difference imo. It also has lot to do about output mA rather than voltage.
I changed opamps in my DX50 and it made huge improvement (30mA vs. 80mA output per channel) and turned some of my IEM into different beast! For example ZS5v1 is notorious for juicy amping to wake up mids and turn into more balanced detail-beast. IT01 also improves noticeably with juicy power.
I`m hoping Kanas Pro being 32 Ohm can take up juice and scale up well.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2019 at 7:00 AM Post #464 of 11,982
I'll try the Kabutips and now that you've mentioned them, the Spiral Dots. I'll only need the M and L sizes, one for each. Thanks!
:kissing_heart: :smile_phones:
If you have any updates with Kabutips, then please share if they're worth it. They're quite difficult to talk with, and I just get seenzoned by them for my inquiries.

Jan 16, 2019 at 7:20 AM Post #465 of 11,982
Btw, been wanting to ask - is there official Moondrop webpage or representative seller or something? Wanted to check out KP detailed specs.
Or can someone post pics of specs on case?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back