Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Nov 21, 2019 at 3:33 AM Post #4,201 of 11,996
Nov 21, 2019 at 5:51 AM Post #4,202 of 11,996
Look what came in today! :ksc75smile:

MD S8.jpeg

Nov 24, 2019 at 7:58 AM Post #4,205 of 11,996
3 days later and still listening.

the S8 is a very capable set. if it is in the mix you will hear it. one thing I noticed is the outro of songs have clarity all the way through the fade. I know it seems like a strange thing to notice, but there are a few tracks I listen to that have interesting things going on during the outro and the S8 does a good job in that area. and for the elephant in the room. yes it can make bass. I have noticed that when the seal and alignment is correct you get whatever bass is in the mix. if you listen to Bob James and Nathan East on the album The New Cool you will get an idea of the S8 and the way it does bass

another thing I have noticed is how well defined the imaging and placement of instruments and voice (which I guess you can call an instrument also) are. YYZ from Rush has never impressed me on anything other than vinyl. the S8 has for the first time given YYZ some digital love. the big tom sweep pans all the way from high right to low left like Mr. Peart did at Le Studio. Vocals are natural.

now to the build. stellar. the shell is pristine and clear allowing you to see all that is going on inside. the wiring and driver placement well thought out and organized. even the nozzle and ports are sharp and clean. truly a quality build. the cable is a cable.... slightly microphonic and also the source of my biggest complaint (more like looking for something to bitch at) no chin slider.

all in all I am glad I took a chance on these. Moondrop has put out a very well made product that is tuned to my hearing preference. the price might be a deal breaker to some, but the S8 is worth my $$$

Nov 27, 2019 at 8:07 PM Post #4,207 of 11,996
I am impatiently waiting for the reviews on the Moondrop S8so far the Audiosense T800 is the best IEM buy I gotten since I started this hobby.

I really want to see some really good high res pics of the Moondrop S8. They looked really beautiful in BGGR video.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2019 at 3:36 PM Post #4,208 of 11,996
MoonDrop S8 + Electro Acousti cable + foam ear tips = good times

been getting in 4-6 hours per day for the last week + and am very happy with this set and can see this satisfying my gear itch for some time

edit - I left out one piece of the puzzle Calyx M combined with the other elements make for a combo that my ears (and brain) are plenty happy with. In fact after a few hour listen to this combo this evening and it has me thinking that if I need “better” the problem isn’t the gear, it’s me...

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2019 at 10:26 AM Post #4,209 of 11,996
Hey fellas. I just got an Xduoo 05 Plus which has 1W of output power. The A8 I've owned for almost a year now has transformed from a great iem into something else entirely. The typical notion that BAs are quite efficient seems pretty much wrong. The A8 is 30ohm @ 110db which isnt insane but you would think an average phone or dongle could run them fine. Wrong. So wrong it makes my head spin.

The A8 now sounds far more like it has a DD in the bottom end. Mids came up and are bold and rich. Treble somehow took a seat back and yet shimmery detail came up.

Color me shocked.

Dec 3, 2019 at 5:41 AM Post #4,210 of 11,996
Hey fellas. I just got an Xduoo 05 Plus which has 1W of output power. The A8 I've owned for almost a year now has transformed from a great iem into something else entirely. The typical notion that BAs are quite efficient seems pretty much wrong. The A8 is 30ohm @ 110db which isnt insane but you would think an average phone or dongle could run them fine. Wrong. So wrong it makes my head spin.

The A8 now sounds far more like it has a DD in the bottom end. Mids came up and are bold and rich. Treble somehow took a seat back and yet shimmery detail came up.

Color me shocked.
Couldn`t find out how much current it is able to provide per channel? My experience (which is rather small) shows it`s more likely about mA difference than wattage/voltage output.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2019 at 10:31 AM Post #4,211 of 11,996
Couldn`t find out how much current it is able to provide per channel? My experience (which is rather small) shows it`s more likely about mA difference than wattage/voltage output.
I agree. Its likely able to produce major mA in comparison to my LG phone and the ES100. Also an older Samsung S6 didn't have enough power. Or a Denon Receiver.

Dec 7, 2019 at 3:01 PM Post #4,212 of 11,996
I have just received the KXXS and they are awesome.

I immediately used my **** 16c cable since however i wish that it could slot right into the recess like the original does.

Is there a quality 3rd party cable that has the same 2 pin fitting as the original KXXS cable?

Thanks in advance!

Dec 7, 2019 at 8:18 PM Post #4,213 of 11,996
I have just received the KXXS and they are awesome.

I immediately used my **** 16c cable since however i wish that it could slot right into the recess like the original does.

Is there a quality 3rd party cable that has the same 2 pin fitting as the original KXXS cable?

Thanks in advance!

Here's a link to the original lyre acoustic pansy cable that came with the KPEs. It's a good quality hybrid cable.

https://penonaudio.com/ns-audio-iem-cable.html?search=2.5mm&page=3

Dec 8, 2019 at 7:12 PM Post #4,214 of 11,996
In case anyone cares, with the Xduoo 05 Plus, the A8 is now the most bassy, most detailed, most rich, most exciting IEM ive ever heard. It's stunning. The bass is off the charts, beating everything I own including the 800ST and XBA z5 in raw bass deepness and texture. I would have never guessed it can be like this.IMG_20191205_170243.jpg

Dec 9, 2019 at 10:35 PM Post #4,215 of 11,996
Came here to report that I also had the issue with my Moondrop Arias with the left side slowly going quieter after minutes of usage to the point of almost silence. If I stop listening it comes back after like 15 minutes but if I listen it'll happen again.
It started happening after only 3 months of usage, and seeing similar reports here honestly I feel there's a QA problem at Moondrop, or at least there was when we got ours. Not really crazy about trying out their higher-end offerings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back